1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suunto core or ?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Tropicheat, Aug 1, 2012.

1. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Yeah they aren't that low anymore, 1300 goes for $220 right now on amazon, 2000 with Ti bracelet shoots up to over $300. Core is $209 right now.

FYI to OP, all core models are the same inside, it's just the case and strap that are different.

2. theotherphil

theotherphil Loaded Pockets

The core has the superior ABC sensors and functionality. I replace my core batteries approx every 14 months. They are user replaceable as it has a battery hatch that opens with a coin....just carry a spare battery in your pack if you're that worried. Nobody in their right mind would rely on just a watch when out in the wilderness - pack a real compass.

Suunto though are renowned for the accuracy of their instruments. I have both the Core and the Ambit as well as Pathfinders and the Suunto are way better than the Casios for ABC functions and accuracy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

4. Trunkmonkey

Trunkmonkey Loaded Pockets

I own both the Core (Military Black) and the Casio Pathfinder and end up wearing the Core almost every time over the Pathfinder. The Pathfinder is Ti so its lightweight and all but its really "clunky" feeling on my wrist. The Core is sleek and very comfortable... Plus, I receive more compliments on the Core. I like them both! But the Core is my favorite of the two.

5. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

The Core Military Black is on my acquire list. Will probably ask for it for Christmas. Come on Santa! :D

6. blazeops

blazeops Loaded Pockets

The Ambit looks pretty nice with a boatload of features. However for the price, I say go for the Core. It is pretty affordable and looks pretty slick. I own a Suunto T4 and I love the builds. If only they made the Core solar...

7. Coolio

Coolio Loaded Pockets

I've had ProTrek/Pathfinders and was lucky enough to borrow a Suunto Core for a backpacking trip. The ABC+T functionality of the Core is superior to my PAG40. I'd say the Pathfinders are a better digital watch but the Core was a much better ABC+T. I will be buying a Core before my next outing. Of course it was not used as my primary compass. For that I have a Suunto M-3DL. A great little compass that is inexpensive also ($25).

8. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

You forgot D, you can dive with core down to 12 meters or so (it can go deeper but dive meter only display down to that much), and you can even push the buttons while underwater. :D

Last edited by jzmtl, Aug 16, 2012
  9. Apathy

Apathy Loaded Pockets

I have had many of these types of watches. G shocks, pathfinders etc. I bought a Suunto Vector 3 years ago and abused the hell out of it (still in great shape and accurate as ever), until I bought a Core at REI a few months ago. I prefer the way it feels and the functions it has over any other digital watch I have had so far. If you can afford it I would highly recommend it. I have the all black and it just looks good too.

Good Luck!

10. neon

neon Loaded Pockets

This is completely untrue. I use a Pathfinder watch for four years now and it's battery never dropped below fully charged status. I hike and there were times I was using it's compass, altimeter and barometer functions for 12-13 hours without pause. Sometimes I did it in winter time when there is not much sun to chrage the battery. Battery never showed less then full capacity status. According to the manual biggest drain for the battery is backlight and I was playing with it for a few hours to try to drain the battery but it never moved from fully charged status.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

11. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

If just one person's experience is enough to makes something completely untrue, what does many people's experience the other way make it then? Go check various watch forums if you care to know what others' experiences are.

12. neon

neon Loaded Pockets

I am telling you my own first hand experience based on using the watch for four years. I do not think that Casio made my watch unique with that kind of battery performance. My model is PAW-1300. Maybe some other models had battery problems but when I was surfing for info about solar watches I was looking at few Casio models and people on forums were reporting six years of solar use without any problems.

I would like to say that my girlfriend owns a Suunto watch and I plan to buy a Suunto very soon to complement my Pathfinder. I am telling you this so that you do not think that I value one company over the other.

13. TitanEDC

TitanEDC Loaded Pockets

Have a look at the Tissot Sea touch, an excellent diving watch / tool, similar price range.

14. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

And others have told their experience to the opposite. Telling your experience is fine, claiming something is "completely untrue" because you haven't experienced it isn't.

15. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I can't speak to the accuracy of the Core's barometer and altimeter vs. the Pathfinder's as I've never compared them independently. I have compared the compass of the Pathfinder PAW-1200 with traditional Silva and Suunto compasses and found no variation. I've also compared the thermometer of the Casio with a traditional thermometer and found no significant difference. Neon, I share your performance with the Tough Solar over the last six years. Different models may be lemons or limes so your mileage may vary.

If you like the Core get the Core. If you like the Pathfinder, get the Pathfinder. Both will tell you vastly more about your environmental conditions than a Rolex. ;)

16. neon

neon Loaded Pockets

As I said I doubt Casio has made my watch the only one with the good battery. Besides solar chrage is about the only thing I have never heard anyone complaining regaring Pathfinders - among people that I know and they own the watch and on forums where I have researched before buying the watch.

Now I am curious. Could you please post a link to the forum where you read it. Also I would like to hear from the EDCF Pathfinder users about their experience with the Pathfinder's solar charge. As I have seen in my few years here, more then a few members of the EDCF own Pathfinders.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  17. baldenwonder

baldenwonder Loaded Pockets

Tissot T-touch is similar with a very nice touch interface with a couple alarms, I have a Suunto Core in the post so I'll let you know the differences. ;)

18. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hi, Suunto Vector owner here, not a Core but really satisfied about it.

19. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I've got a Timex WS-4
    It's a nice watch, but not for those with skinny wrists.