1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suunto core or ?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by Tropicheat, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Tropicheat

Tropicheat Loaded Pockets

so im in the new watch market, im really liking the suunto core.
    [​IMG] anybody know any other watches with similar features? (temp,alt,barom,compass etc)

MadJoe and powerring like this.
  2. LoneStar

LoneStar Loaded Pockets

Casio pathfinder

3. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Yep, pathfinder is a good one. Mine is a few years removed from the current one. But, it is titanium!:D

The Suunto watches are really neat, but the Casio's have built in solar power where the Suunto's have replaceable batteries. For the options built in to both brands, solar was the way to go for me.

Sent from my phone.

4. julioroman

julioroman Loaded Pockets

I went Pathfinder myself, for the solar atomic functions. But currently I do lust quite heavily for the Core. I've heard its compass and thermometer are a bit more accurate than the pathfinders. Plus it looks better.

5. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

If I am not mistaken, at least some of Tissot's T-Touch models have these features. However, these watches don't come cheap.

And, as one of the characters in my ninth grade French textbook stated: "Tissot? C'est pour les snobs!":rofl:

powerring likes this.
  6. geordienemisis

geordienemisis Loaded Pockets

Whilst being something of a watch geek, I love the Core. I have a Vector which is really good and I also have several G-Shocks. Suunto are a classic brand with a great following its good to own any Suunto.

7. deeker

deeker Loaded Pockets

I like the less cluttered look of the Core, myself. I am biased, however.:p

[​IMG]

8. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

+1 on the Pathfinder. I love mine. The Core is an awesome looking watch though.

9. Tropicheat

i had not known about the pathfinder! now i get to go back and forth mulling the decision on which to buy and never making up my mind.lol

10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

11. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

The pathfinders are more of a toy than core, especially the solar models. I've done extensive research when I was buying and ended up with core. The pathfinder altimater/barometer function isn't nearly as good as those in core, and the solar isn't suitable for serious ABC use, the rechargeable battery has tiny capacity and will drain quickly with no way to recharge other than leave the watch in sun for several days. Pathfinder does have much better timing functions than core.

So if you just want a watch, either will be fine. If you want to use the additional functions often go with core.

12. Tropicheat

hmmm. the reason i was looking at the core to begin with was the functions. its good to know the casio isnt built for really using them. so the core is back at the top of the list.

13. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

If you want a dependable watch with occasional use of the ABC, the Pathfinder is fine. The compass is perfectly accurate when compared to a traditional one and I've never depleted the solar-charged battery in six years or so. The Core is a probably one of the best looking digital watches ever made but it costs twice as much. You'll replace the battery maybe once a year or so. In any case, I would never depend on any battery driven device as my only compass in the outdoors. :)

14. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have 5 friends that have the core and love it. I am not a fan of that type of watch but I like myself and if I were to get a digital watch it would be the core.

15. Helipilot

Helipilot Loaded Pockets

Just for the sake of throwing in another option: Garmin Fenix. It is about to be released. It is GPS capable though.

16. jzmtl

jzmtl Loaded Pockets

Dunno about the twice as much part, I paid $200 for my all black core from amazon, the green or yellow bezel model was even less. The newer model pathfinder (1300/1500/2000) is about the same.

As for GPS watch, it's mostly used for exercise tracking from what I've seen, not outdoor activities traditionally associated with ABC watches. Besides if you think change battery every year or two is bad, you gotta charge those every week or two depends on usage.

17. Tropicheat

the compass is more of luxury item. i always have a real compass when i got out of the city.

18. Tropicheat

i agree. im noy into gps watches i have garmin gps that works fine. but most of the time i end up not using it when i go out. i like to go to the barrier islands we have, its hard to get lost on an island thats only 1/2 a mile to 1 mile wide and 2-4 miles long. lol

Mumbojumboo likes this.
  19. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

I think I got my Pathfinder for about $125 but I'll grant you that was some years ago. If you can get the Core for $200.00 that's definitely more enticing. I've seen them more towards the $300.00 side at Cabelas (they are rarely the low price leader though).

The Core appeals to me on looks alone and I'd be as happy to have one on my wrist if I didn't have the Pathfinder. We'll see how long my Pathfinder goes and I'll take another look at both then, if the models are still around.

20. powerring
    • In Omnia Paratus

powerring Loaded Pockets

Good man. Batteries fail at the weirdest times.