1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suunto Clipper NFC tag mod

Discussion in 'Do-It-Yourself & Gear Modifications' started by Nephiel, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

Playing with this, I found 12x19mm NFC tags are a good fit below a Suunto Clipper compass.
    Possible uses: unlock your phone, open doors, share contacts or URLs...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been using one of these for 6+ months, scanning the tag over a dozen times per day to unlock my Android phone, both the compass and the tag still work fine, they don't seem to interfere with each other.

Lorenzo, Bowman1911 and thePlumbah like this.
  2. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

That's interesting. I like the idea of a physical key for a smartphone.

Unfortunately, I have an iPhone and Apple likes to pretend that most technology (Flash, mp3, NFC tags, etc.) do not exist.

3. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

And you left out external storage, but I forgive you. :)

4. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

It wasn't intended to be an exhaustive list, by any means. I have many more gripes...

FWIW,you actually can expand the external storage via Bluetooth. However, there's no way to expand the on-board storage.

The proprietary connectors get on my last nerve, too. The newer Lightning connector is actually a brilliant connector, which I hope will eventually be licensed for general use instead of just on Apple products (but sincerely doubt). The previous 30-pin connector, however, was simply a ludicrous choice.

Captain Adobo likes this.
  5. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

I know, I was just pulling your leg. And I did mean internal memory expansion, I just misspoke earlier. It's been a slow day at work. (Slow is both good and bad).

I like the lightning connector. Gone are the days of figuring out up vs down with regards to insertion. Apple has a habit of discontinuing technology before it goes out of style, which is both good and bad depending on how much money you have invested in that technology.

6. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

All about feeding the "golden arrow" ($$$) just placed a Samung battery next to a Nokia battery.... size differnences can be measured in bee wings thickness, but one will not work in the other even though contact alignment is almost dead-on. Proprietary = locking in spending dollars.

ATB,
    Sam

7. Nephiel

Nephiel Loaded Pockets

Now that the latest iPhones have NFC, maybe this technology catches on and becomes more commonplace. I doubt Apple will let developers use it in as many imaginative ways as Android, though.

One of the reasons I prefer Android is it has the old text input method from Palm PDAs, Graffiti, available as an app. It's a shame it hasn't been updated since 2011. Fortunately it still works (or there are ways to make it work) on newer Androids.

I can't stand on-screen keyboards. IMHO a keyboard on a 4-5" touchscreen is just a flawed concept from the start: the keys are too small, too difficult to hit with large fingers or bad eyesight, and there's no tactile feedback to feel where the keys are, so you must look at the screen all the time while typing.

Graffiti might be a bit hard at first, but once you learn the strokes for each letter, oh man does it ever pay off.

8. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

I used Graffiti on the Palms. Wonderful tool.