1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suspenders

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by willydigger, Feb 12, 2013.

1. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking about doing the Duluth side clip. I'm 5'10 220lb. In your opinion should I go with the tall or would the regular be fine?

2. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

I have Blåkläder suspenders, they are the X style, but with two clips for each strap (so total of 8 clips, spread to load more evenly). The straps are elastic, but very stiff elastic, haven't noticed any bouncing. I don't normally use them daily, mostly with work pants or sometimes in the winter when the weather gets really cold and I layer up so much that suspenders work better than a belt.

3. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

^^ About the same size as me. Their sizing chart says you should be good with the regular ones. Get the tall if you are 6'1" or 2XL or more

4. willydigger

It's ordered. I got the slim 1.5 inch over the fat 2 inch. They were a little pricey, but they look good. I was looking over that site and they have some great stuff. The Fire Hose work pants look awesome! Someone will have to gift me those though. I've never spent anything over $20 for pants.

5. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Be sure to follow up here once you have them! :)

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  6. zombieslayer001

Regular. I am 6ft 5in. Might I suggest request that you subscribe to their sales magazines? They make neat stuff!

7. zombieslayer001

I promise you that you will like the firehose pants the flex ones are the ticket!

8. TomInOregon

TomInOregon Loaded Pockets

As already mentioned, there are several varieties out there.

There are the side-clip ones that I've never tried. I suspect the waistline of the trousers would sag in the front and back where there is no support (unless you are wearing a belt also). Can anyone verify this?

There are the Perry suspenders as mentioned, that work in conjunction with a belt. I have not tried them either.

There are the elastic ones that have metal or plastic belt clips. Most of them tend to chew up the trousers where they bite into the material. Some newer designs are a bit easier on the fabric. I have a set that I think I got from Amazon that are intended to go on underneath a shirt and be unnoticeable. They are a bit less comfortable than having them outside of the shirt and where the fabric lays snugly against the straps, makes it look like you're wearing a bra. Needless to say, I haven't worn them out of the house.

There are also the type with leather tabs that connect to your trousers via buttons on your pants. These are the most secure and, once the buttons are installed,are quick and easy to put on. This is the type I wear and would recommend unless you are dead-set on hiding them under your shirt. They will work with an untucked shirt. I highly recommend the Welch brand.

The other type that comes to mind are galluses. these are basically like the clip on or button-on types, but have snap hooks to connect to existing belt loops. The danger here is that the belt loops would give way, but are probably more secure than clip-ons.

I have been wearing suspenders for ~3 years. I started wearing them during Civil War reenactments and, with the amount of stuff I have in my pockets at work, decided to try them full-time. I have been happy ever since. I'm not really overweight or old enough to wear them for physique reasons, but it's phenomenal to not have to pull up my pants all the time. I still wear several pouches and pockets on my waistline, I just have to make sure they have a clip instead of a loop.

Whatever style you go with, spend a little more for quality. The cheap ones stretch out and are unusable in a short time. In fact, if you have a lot in your pockets, cheap ones won't hold up your trousers properly when new.

9. herman30

herman30 Loaded Pockets

I wear Perry suspenders daily.

This is the model I have: http://www.perrysuspenders.com/perconsus1.html

10. Maxgussam

Maxgussam Empty Pockets

The best:
    Better S-Pender

Made from heavy elastic that won't lose it's stretch.
    Available in button or clip style, and X or Y back.
    I have 3 pair of the button style.

11. willydigger

My suspenders arrived last night. As a reminder that are the side clip version from Duluth. I'm having trouble with them and I think I might try regular suspenders instead. Granted I've never worn suspenders before so it may just be getting used to them.

They are difficult to fasten on the side of the pants. For one, all my gear is on either side so I have to attached the clip to the pants while my belt and pouches are there. The other issue, is the strap that goes around the front of the shoulder seems to creep to the armpit area which is a little uncomfortable. If I move the clips forward to avoid this, they don't support the back of the pants real well so there is minor plumber butt. :eek:

They did okay holding up my pants.

I think I will try a more traditional type suspender next.

The shipping from Duluth was a little slow, but that might have been because of the Holiday.

12. craneman

craneman Loaded Pockets

While I don't wear suspenders every day, I do wear them regularly. I have a pair of 2" X-style with this clips that grab your pants. I bought them at Lowes several years ago and don't have any problems. They hold up my pants without tearing them up. If I could get away with it, I would wear them everyday.

13. willydigger

I just ordered some Perry's from Amazon. Y style that clips to the belt.

14. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

The only problem I've had with Perry suspenders is that the plastic clips sometimes slip off of the belt. This doesn't happen with my thickest leather belt.

15. willydigger

The Perry suspenders arrived today. I like them better than the side clips suspenders. They easily slip on the belt and hold the pants well. I'm wearing them under my shirt so it may take a little getting used to. I might add some minor padding.

16. Todesfrosch

Todesfrosch Loaded Pockets

Does anyone know where I can get side clip suspenders which have a loop instead of clips ? (Problem with clips is when wearing a backpack with hipbelt they did into my thighs too much)

17. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

You could always buy a pair with clips and have a seamstress or an outdoor store (depending on the fabric) modify them for you.

18. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Here you are referring to 'Braces' for suits and other flannels. Lately, I gained a few pounds, it is nice to use these instead of belts, after a big dinner. You can find them in Men's stores, consignments stores, even found a new navy set in a thrift store. Sew in 8 buttons?-I'm about to, to some of my chinos.