1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suspenders

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by willydigger, Feb 12, 2013.

1. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

Anyone wear them for daily use? Not work related or back-brace stuff, but actual "hold up your pants because you have too much stuff" daily use.

I'm considering buying some. Not to look hipster, but to wear under my clothes so I don't have to keep pulling up my pants.

Looking for some advice from the old guys. :D

littlequick and wildborego like this.
  2. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

Subscribed for the same reason. :)

3. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I used to wear a pair that strapped up between my undershirt and my outer shirt when I worked HVAC. Mostly because I had a lot of tools in my cargo pockets, and a small tool pouch (read: dump pouch with random small tools thrown in) hooked to my belt. I guess that's work related, but it involved having too much stuff in my pockets. :p

It honestly feels weird at first, but I got used to it within a day. After that, I barely ever noticed I had them on. Even after I quit HVAC I wore them for a while out of habit. They're pretty comfy, really.

wildborego likes this.
  4. willydigger

Got a link to a type? Are there different types? I assume some type of nylon/elastic and metal "bitey" clips. Is there a brand name or reputable maker?

5. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

Well, I don't know much about name brand, but mine were more heavy-duty use than dress use. I bought them at a PX on an army post. Mine didn't have metal clips, they had belt loops. Similar to this:

http://www.code3tactical.com/hwc-nylon-police-tactical-swat-fire-ems-emt-state-trooper-suspenders.aspx?gclid=CKfYsa-OsbUCFQyqnQod01YALA

Mine didn't have shoulder pads, and they weren't really elastic. Mostly just adjustable nylon webbing. For day to day use and loads that don't regularly consist of hammers, screwdrivers, rolls of metallic tape, tape measures, and occasionally an electric drill, I'd say mostly elastic would be just fine. I went with belt loops because it seemed like it'd have more longevity. But I guess that's about all the advice I can offer. Sorry if that doesn't help you all that much. :(

6. willydigger

Didn't think of belt loops. This is like learning a new language! :D

7. Quixotica

Quixotica Loaded Pockets

I'd argue that it's like learning Latin. Dead from general use, but still poking around here and there. :rolleyes:

8. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

There's also the Perry Suspenders - they have a compact hook that loops under the belt. They seem like they would be the most user friendly.

Quixotica likes this.
  9. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

There's another braces/suspenders thread floating around EDCF somewhere. I recall that it was quite interesting.
    I'm dieting and exercising more so I'm losing weight. My belt notches are not sufficient to keep up with the loss, so I've been looking some less formal braces. I have a pair of elasticated ones but they offer little support, strength or durability. I also need input.
    Remember,belt or braces. Never both. Makes one look like a Luddite. :)

Last edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF, Feb 12, 2013
  10. willydigger

I need a belt to carry my gear. I need suspenders to hold up my pants. I'll be wearing both. It's nice to be married and not give a crap.

11. silent_vengeance

silent_vengeance Loaded Pockets

I wore some under my clothes for a while for similar reasons, but made the mistake of wearing them to church one day. A few of the huggy ladies there felt the straps on my back and gave me weird looks...they probably thought I was wearing a bra.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  12. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I went through this about a year ago. Mainly because the pressure from a belt was causing my hip to spasm rather painfully. I got some used at thrift stores to decide that I liked the concept before buying new. So yeah, there are three basic design types with a lot of different options. X type, where the straps come straight up the front and cross in the back. Y type, two straps in front, one down the back. Sideclip type, sort of a variation of the X but the back strap connects to the front strap just above where it attaches to the waistband.

They can attach in different ways, generally with clips but you can use buttons, either sewn or riveted. Some are designed to attach to a belt or clip onto belt loops.

Materials. Of course you're generally just looking at a strap but they come in various colors and widths. Most important to me was the fact that the vast majority of suspenders are made of some stretchy elastic material. I found I didn't really enjoy the feeling of my trousers bouncing up and down in an out of phase condition with the rest of my person. Comical yes, comfortable, not so much. So after some looking, I found some at the farm store that were made mostly of regular webbing with only the back, below the X portion made of elastic. Not a bad compromise, still allows movement but minimizes the bounce.

Then I got creative. While looking at Duluth's Side Clip Suspenders, I got some inspiration. Picked up 10 feet of 1" webbing and a ladder lock, used some lobster claw clips that I already had and made my own. Going up in front of one shoulder, down behind the other, lobster claw at side belt loop, repeat. Up in front, down behind, clip at the loop and terminate the ladder lock at mid-height in front so it's easily accessible but unobtrusive. Trimmed the length leaving a bit of room for adjustment and I've been wearing this for a few months now. Actually I've made several in different colors to match my wardrobe if I happen to care.

I've since gone back to wearing a belt, loosely. The belt gives support all the way around while the suspenders hold up the weight and provide latitude adjustment.

jag-engr likes this.
  13. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Kilted1, while I'm all for wearing a belt with suspenders, I have to ask...

Do you wear your belt and suspender setup with your kilt? :eek:

Idaho Gunslinger likes this.
  14. willydigger

15. willydigger

You're taking this thread down a dark dark path. :p

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  16. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

If you feel that you need to report my post, I would understand... :redcarded:

xtrajack likes this.
  17. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

LOL! Well, since I've been wearing the current rig, it hasn't really been kilt weather. So I don't know yet but I'm going to say, probably! :D

I haven't tried the Duluth version, just my own. But it works well and is unobtrusive. Since dress shirts are cut high at the sides, it's easy to tuck around if you want to wear a shirt over it. Also bathroom visits are simplified since they un/re-clip easily, regular suspenders are much more of an ordeal if you're wearing anything over them. It is very much like an under-arm holster rig. Speaking of which. I don't know if you're a carrier but the side clip works much better than the regular type for a behind the hip holster.

18. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

My husband wears belt and suspenders. I make them for him. The slide onto his belt with loops so the grippers don't tear up his belts, and they don't set of metal detectors.

Sent by Owl Post

ran23, Gary Gross and zombieslayer001 like this.
  19. zombieslayer001

Well, for what its worth, I will be 44 in may. I use the Duluth Trading Company's side clip suspenders to hold up my DTC flex firehose cargoa and I will tell you they are nice quality and do the job. Did I mention you can eve get em to fit regular or tall sizes? :)

20. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

I have a set like that too. The loops have velcro so you can put them on after the fact, or remove them without having to remove anything else.

I used grimloks instead of the lobster clip on some of mine so the only metal is a tiny spring. Haven't been through any detectors with them though. I try to avoid checkpoints.