1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Survivorman's EDC thread

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by survivorman, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's not really helping, lol

I saw this the other day too, also not helping :p

:censored:, that is one good looking saw!

Also not helping :rofl:

A happy 2016 to the both of you! (and to every one else that reads this)

microbe, Radley, Patrick87 and 15 others like this.
  2. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

Now get that saw already Here Comes The BOOM ! :giggle: Or i will have to get it... :eek:

Did you watch Joe using the bucksaw in the video? I was pretty sure he would cut off a finger the way he worked with the bucksaw! :frantic:

I wish you a great and healthy 2016 mate!

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

Patrick87, Nick4305, Nekolf and 12 others like this.
  3. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Went out hiking with the wife and kids today, which is always great, but this picture really brings me back to being in the woods with them when they were toddlers.

Maybe it's the nostalgia speaking, but I think you could make the argument that those were the better hikes. Enjoy these times, SM, they're gone far too quick.

microbe, Patrick87, Nick4305 and 18 others like this.
  4. Here Comes The BOOM

I'm too broke right now, guess it's on you then. I anxiously await the review :D

Have you ever thought about doing a video comparison or review by the way? Seems like the next logic step after your pictorials and write ups, I suspect you'd be pretty good at it.

Yeah, he was a bit clumsy there. I think he just remembered that he forgot to add that tip when the video was already shot and hastily shot that part afterwards. He's a pretty skillful guy normally, I wish I could ever be as accurate as he is with an axe :(

5. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

We enjoy every second hiking and spending time outdoors with junior and he is like a sponge, observing everything. AND he sleeps very well at night when we spent the day outdoors, which is a welcomed side effect. :D

I think its very important and nice to go out with the kids, too. How is it with the c(l)ones? Are they motivated to go out or do they need a little push? I mean at certain periods in life most kids think the things their parents do are uncool. :D Or arent they in that phase yet?

Hmm... lets see when i will give in to buying another folding saw. :D

I appreciate your believe in my not yet discovered video skills BOOM. :D So far i dont really consider myself a reviewer, i just like to check out some gear that is interesting for me and maybe a few others with similar intetests. And since i dont always trust youtube reviews etc. because an increasing amount of reviews is obviously sponsored by gear manufacturers i prefer to check out that stuff myself and share my personal opinion on the stuff. The pictorial format is what i prefer for those little reports but you are right, maybe i will add some short videos in the future. Especially the saw comparison might have been better with a short video displaying each saws performance.

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

microbe, Patrick87, Nick4305 and 17 others like this.
  6. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

So Here Comes The BOOM , i did not order the Tajima G-Saw 210 but i decided to go for the Silky gomboy 210 with medium teeth. According to a lot of saw aficionados, many reviews and Silky themselves the gomboy is the champion of folding saws. ;)

This is what Silky writes:

"Multipurpose folding saw with 8-1/3-inch blade and a very smooth cutting action. This distinctive saw has earned a reputation as the finest folding saw on the market. "

That saw covers the 210 length class and i get to compare Silky to Tajima which is kinda interesting to me since i cant imagine the Silky being that much better than the (imho) outstanding Tajima.

It will take some time to get here though as i cant justify the EU price for the saw. Thanks to the once again great help of ManVsLawn i ordered it at a japanese seller. Thank you for your help MvL!

microbe, Patrick87, Nick4305 and 17 others like this.
  7. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

No worries survivordude!

Thanks for great posts, pics, and info!

Patrick87, Nick4305, Nekolf and 14 others like this.
  8. Here Comes The BOOM

Oh nice, I'm really curious how the overall build quality compares to that of the Tajima.

If I was buying one today I'd probably go for a Gomboy too, there are too many enthusiastic reviews out there by people who seem just as critical as I am to doubt them. But I really like that one Anti posted too so I'll have to look in to that one as well first.

Where did you find the Tajima so cheap by the way? Lowest price I can find for the 210 around 28 bucks plus 12 for shipping while I can get the 240 for 4 Euro less from the same German ebay seller strange enough.

Patrick87, Nick4305, Nekolf and 10 others like this.
  9. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

German Amazon sells them at 18-19€.
    The one Anti posted is quite expensive unfortunately and basically holds the same blades as the G-Saw and has the same weight. The handle looks different though but for me it didnt justify a Silky like price. The low price is what made the Tajima intetesting for me. If i spend 50€ i might just get a EU gomboy right away.

Patrick87, Nick4305, Nekolf and 9 others like this.
  10. Here Comes The BOOM

You got a point there. It is pretty though, especially with the white handle. And I kinda like the coated blade for a little extra protection too. Maybe when I have a little vacation money left over this summer, no rush.

Patrick87, Nick4305, Nekolf and 11 others like this.
  11. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Because we spend out leisure time outside, the boys have no real say in the matter. From the time they were mere weeks old, they've been out basically everyday. We live essentially next-door to a rail trail, so whether it was in an off road jogger, on a bike, or on foot, whether powered by a parent of on their own, they no nothing other than the outdoors as a way of life.

We regularly hike, bike, kayak, fish, bushcraft, backpack, archery, swim, and run (not me).

We never watch professional sports, other than cycling. They have, in the past, played soccer and t-ball, but, while we were supportive, it wasn't encouraged.
    The older one does track and field at his school and races a mountain bike. He is more outdoorsy by nature and is probably way more likely to still do this stuff as an adult; he has the personality for it.

The little guy, is decidedly less outdoorsy, and his mother and I wouldn't be shocked if he stopped doing most of these things as an adult. But, he is is own person. He'd rather solve equations than put up a tarp shelter. At least he'll have the skill sets if he wants or needs them in the future. To be fair, he did summit Mount Washington from the bottom as a ten year old and can start a fire on his own without advice or aid from a parent or brother.

The differences between them manifests itself in other ways. The older one like gear the way most of us do, but the little guy is more pragmatic about it. To him, it is merely a tool.

All of that said, at this stage in their lives (middle school) they probably both rather play a video game than anything else. :)

12. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Looks like we got similar concepts. But you already advanced way further than me of course... i am enroute since only 8 months. :D

It's great that you support your children in what they want to do without pushing them. And of course its great and super important they get to watch cycling. ;)

I also believe that while you can't force your children to proceed on the way you show them its still important to give them certain skillset and knowledge. There are too many children nowadays who cant tell the difference between an apple, a birch tree and a deer and who dont know how to light a match or use a saw. :eek:

13. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

theirishboxer you really got the reaction time of a boxer! Sometimes it seems like you already like a post before i even hit send in tapatalk!! :frantic:

Thank you for all the likes! :D

14. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

thats funny On Edge said the same thing to me yesterday. I'm a "like" ninja :ninja:

edit: punctuation is hard sometimes

15. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Tattatapatalk hickup

16. Nekolf
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nekolf EDC Junkie

Happy belated new year, survivorman!

If you need any more help for shopping from Japan, let me know. I will be glad to help you.;)

17. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you very much Nekolf ! Same to you and your family! 2016 in the great new home will be amazing for you i bet. :)

Thank you for your offer, when checking for japanese folding saws i found so many other great japanese tools. You guys have really different tools than us and you have very smart design tools i have to say. But for now i better dont start ordering too much of it as it might be a very costly new field of interest. :eek: :D

18. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

When DHL delivers goods from Japan and Switzerland that's always a good thing! :D

Felco Nr. 5, a rather low budget Felco, but first impression is great nonetheless. If i get some more gardening gear and folding saws i might apply for an internship at Unagi42 or ManVsLawn ?! :D

And i got the coated 240 Tajima blade to check out if there is a noticeable difference to the standard blade.

[​IMG]

19. Unagi42
    • In Omnia Paratus

Unagi42 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Felco direct from Switzerland! Very nice and I'm sure they'll stand you in good stead. I'll be interested in how the coated saw performs too.
    Not sure about an internship as I suspect the morning commute would be a real killer.:giggle:

20. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

survivorman - You may have a job yet....

How do you like humidity? :giggle:

Oh and in Florida we don't need giant spiders and drop bears. The locals are always more wildlife than most out of state people can handle....

I got my bahco in and did a mini review in my thread w the Silky. Check it out :)