1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Survivorman's EDC thread

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by survivorman, Jan 8, 2014.

1. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

!!!MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERYONE!!! :frantic:

Frohe Weihnachten euch allen!

In other news...i just put the Tajima G-Saw 240 and the Bahco Laplander on the scale and the difference is bigger than i expected. The exact weight of a Tajima 210 would be interesting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

2. Brtsmpsn
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Brtsmpsn Oh, Canada!

Better late than never Merry Christmas.

3. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Thanks for the info. I'm much more interested in sturdiness and waterproofness than lightweight in
    this case.

4. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

A nice surprise was waiting for me when i just went to pick up my mail at work. Some time ago i was ordering some stuff in China with the goal to build a < $10 solar charger. It took quite long to get here and i almost forgot about it already. :eek:

[​IMG]

5 USB ports
    5 voltage transformers
    1 voltage meter
    1 solar panel

Lets see how much voltage we can get with this little panel!

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

5. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

That's a bit disappointing I must say! I thouight it would be lighter. Checked the info on that online 'big river' store. Laplander should be 200 g, you weigh it at 192 g, that's nice. The Tajima should weigh 150 g according to that store, that's about half of what you show! That 210 one should be 136, but that I don't believe now.

On the other hand, 87 g heavier but more sawing power. Well every gram counts when going light weight. Still something to think about for myself.

Thanks for showing us!

6. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

By the way... hope you had great Christmas time with the family!

7. kwispelhond

kwispelhond Loaded Pockets

That's a interesting little project, I'm really interested how that's going to work for I like solar power (it's the old miser in me, I like free things...:oops:)

8. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

I'd just decided that I'm going to stick with my Laplander since it always worked more then well for me, and then you had to go and post this :rolleyes:

Great little comparison SM [​IMG]

That is a very big difference though, a very big difference...

Now I want to know how quick the Tajima that's of a similar size to the Bahco does as well, lol

I think I'll still stick to the Laplander anyways. As said it has always worked well for me and size and weight are important to me too, plus frankly I'm too cheap to get another folding saw. I still wish I hadn't seen that post though ;)

What's the size of and the maximum wattage that that solar panel produces by the way? I'm pretty happy with my PowerMonkey Extreme, but I have been thinking of adding another panel to it for quicker charging.

9. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

I think 87g plus is acceptale for day hikes, bushcraft days, camping etc.

In a situation where weight really matters like mountain hiking, long distance hiking, cycling etc. you probably wont bring any saw at all because you most likely wont do woodcraft or feed a hobo etc.

I just put it together really quick but the sun was very low already. It was charging my wifes ebook reader and my Anker Powerbank. My iphone didnt get charged but i am not sure if the output was too low or if Apple doesnt like the charger, but i will try again with more sun tomorrow hopefully. I also have to add the voltmeter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Its a $4.50 chinese panel.

Voltage: 9V 3W
    Size: 125x195mm

I dont trust those numbers 100% though. ;)

Its more like an experiment anyways.

Well yeah... i have the same issue... i would really like to test the G-Saw 210 now! :frantic: But i really dont need a third folding saw right now. ;)

If we are honest though for the normal outdoor tasks sawing time doesnt really matter. Some reviews sound like it is absolute nonsense and madness to still use a Bahco when you could use a much faster japanese saw.

But for cutting a few logs for firewood or small woodworking tasks does it really matter if the whole process takes 7.5 minutes instead of 15 minutes unless you are in an extreme rush while sitting at a camp fire? :D

If you are processing A LOT of firewood or build a large shelter, fix a cabin etc. then i would prefer the more efficient saw for sure. But then i would probably still only do about 9 cuts with the folding saw and build a bucksaw. :D

It is a lot of fun to saw with the Tajima saw and we all cant deny we like good gear. It feels like you have a small chainsaw in your hands. ;) But for sure the Bahco will do for another 20 years easily. :)

Patrick87, Nekolf, Doraemon and 18 others like this.
  11. Here Comes The BOOM

Here Comes The BOOM EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's not too bad for a panel of that size. It'll be hard (or rather, impossible) to get to those figures this time of year though, so don't write it off until you've tried it in the summer if the results disappoint you.

If your iPhone keeps being stubborn you could try adding a small battery pack by the way. Like four AA Enloops in a small holder for instance. Just charge the battery pack with the panel and use that to charge everything else. That way you can also collect & store energy when you have sunlight but don't need a charge right away.

I mostly use the Laplander to make mini-logs out of 1 to 2" sticks for my woodstove or a quick potholder or bowdrill set, things like that. When backpacking/camping I prefer tents over natural shelters anyways, I don't like waking up with bugs on my face, or elsewhere...:eek:

But one of my problems is that I'm often in a rush even when there no reason for it, so a quicker saw would come in handy there, haha. We'll see how long I'll be able to resist getting another one.. ;)

Patrick87, Nekolf, Doraemon and 14 others like this.
  12. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Yeah my workaround would be charging a powerbank.

The 210 is only 18€... just sayin'... ! :D

13. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great saw review.

Now I've got more options to consider...

14. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

There are even professional versions...for like...err...Professionals... :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Patrick87, Nekolf, Unagi42 and 17 others like this.
  15. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Professional wood worker....

Oldest occupation known to mankind :giggle:

Patrick87, Nekolf, Unagi42 and 12 others like this.
  16. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

Well, maybe second oldest lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Patrick87, Nekolf, Unagi42 and 9 others like this.
  17. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

We took a nice walk to a church of pilgrimage today. Junior demanded lunch in the middle of nowhere. :eek:

Bushbox + Trangia took care of that issue. :D

[​IMG]

18. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

Are those carrots? :frantic:

Were my favorites until about ten...but I later preferred them cold... :D

[​IMG]

Patrick87, Nekolf, Unagi42 and 10 others like this.
  19. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

It's risotto with vegetables. It actually tastes really good and i was tempted to eat a couple of spoons. :giggle: And its one of the Hipps with the most kcal/weight. :D

[​IMG]

Patrick87, Nekolf, Unagi42 and 10 others like this.
  20. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

I wish you and your families a happy, peaceful and of course gearful 2016!! :frantic:

[​IMG]

microbe, Radley, Patrick87 and 19 others like this.