1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Survivorman's EDC thread

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by survivorman, Jan 8, 2014.

1. theirishboxer

theirishboxer Loaded Pockets

oh god what have i done :rofl: it hurts i cant stop laughing

Nekolf, Brtsmpsn, Patrick87 and 12 others like this.
  2. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

:censored: it feels good to be a gangsta

Nekolf, Brtsmpsn, Patrick87 and 12 others like this.
  3. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Plus he is always holding up his trousers....makes it really difficult to aim.

Idox, Nekolf, Brtsmpsn and 12 others like this.
  4. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

Last time I checked, this was still a legal limbo! [​IMG]

vegassprky, Idox, Nekolf and 13 others like this.
  5. Unagi42
    • In Omnia Paratus

Unagi42 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Gallows, theirishboxer ManVsLawn & Cheeser I love that while you were stirring me and making me a trooper I was out seeing the Force Awakens. The orange trooper reminds me of the bit.... Nevermind.

Anyway are you sayin I'm not a gangsta foowell?
    The way I see it the colours of the tropics are red, green, and orange.....

Making this GANGSTA PARADISE!
    [​IMG]

vegassprky, Lou_G, Nekolf and 13 others like this.
  6. ManVsLawn

ManVsLawn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Wearing Orange sweaters are twice as nice,

Living in a gangsta's paradise....

Can't shoot to save my life,

The Empire down with a gangsta's paradise...

Unagi42

vegassprky, Idox, Lou_G and 15 others like this.
  7. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

I am not really shure about that gangsta thing, I found the unedited version, though... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

vegassprky, Idox, Lou_G and 17 others like this.
  8. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

survivorman Loaded Pockets

Like you arent outdoors avoiding pro enough to do backyard pics without leaving the house anyways... i mean what are those grappling hooks good for? Drop the gear from the balcony -> zoom in -> take picture -> retrieve.

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

vegassprky, Idox, Lou_G and 16 others like this.
  9. Ben Rubinstein

hehe

vegassprky, Nekolf, Brtsmpsn and 9 others like this.
  10. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

I received the Tajima G-Saw 240 yesterday and tested it on a long hike through the Bayrischer Wald today.

[​IMG]

Compared to the Bahco Laplander it's quite a bit bigger.

[​IMG]

It doesnt lock when closed but retention is strong enough to avoid accidental opening.

[​IMG]

The Tajima is very well made and feels comfortable in hand. It feels slightly heavier than the Bahco though. I will have to weigh them and tell you the results.

The Tajima locks in two positions, the normal position and a position which makes cutting upside down more comfortable.

[​IMG]

The teeth on both saws are of similar size with the Bahcos teeth being slightly bigger.

The Bahco cuts on push and pull while the Tajima only cuts on pull like most japanese saws.

[​IMG]

I took down a dead little spruce as a test object for the two saws.

[​IMG]

Test cut with the good old Bahco.

[​IMG]

Test cut with it's rival the Tajima:

[​IMG]

The Tajima has a slightly longer blade and is brand new but i really didnt expect that it would take only half of the time?! :eek:
    I was sawing as fast as i could with both saws and i even bend the blade of the Tajima a couple of times on the push stroke as i am not used to applying full force only on the pull when going at max saw speed. :D

The spruce was pretty hard and dry so i took on some green wood afterwards. I didnt take the time but i had the feeling that the Tajima went through green wood faster, too. The Tajima is also doing cleaner cuts which might matter to people using the saw for crafting tasks.

What also might be interesting for woodcrafting is that the Bahco felt more efficient when cutting along the grain.

[​IMG]

In order to test the Tajima vs the ultimate woods saw, the Bahco bladed buck saw, i brought a Bahco blade. Unfortunately in the part of the forest where i did the Tajima vs Bahco test there have been only spruce and young birch trees which both dont make for great buck saw material.

[​IMG]

So i was trying to split a spruce into little square logs out of which i could build the buck saw.

[​IMG]

The wood was really dry and hard and had a couple of nasty knots in it so i had to pound on the Esee 6 like crazy... i actually had to beat the Esee so hard that i was almost feeling sorry for it. Only the fact that there is a no questions asked guarantee kept me going. :D

The Esee didnt show any damage at all though.

[​IMG]

But then time was running short and i didnt finish the buck saw and i didnt even cook a coffee out there!! :nah_disagree:
    I was pretty far into the woods and the summer like weather made me forget that the sunset is scheduled according to winter altough it feels like summer. So when i noticed the shadows getting really looooong i packed up and left because i didnt want to make my way out in darkness.

[​IMG]

The Tajimas performance was great and i am happy i picked it instead of a Silky. Build quality is great, cutting performance is awesome and the price is only half of a Silkys price. And to be honest i cant imagine a Silky significantly outsawing the Tajima. I couldnt imagine it but the Tajima probably will dethrone the Laplander as my go-to saw. :eek:

The blade is carbon steel and it will rust so i put some Ballistol on it after use but i just found out that they are selling coated replacement bladed.

So far i am very surprised and happy with the saw. And i kinda understand what the japanese saw hype is about. :ninja: Time will tell what it is really worth in the long run.

“Knicks and dull edges are abominations, so use knives and hatchets for nothing but they were made for.” – Horace Kephart, 1917

11. Ben Rubinstein

That's a serious difference in sawing time!

12. Pscl

Pscl Loaded Pockets

My compliments for this test. What's the price difference between the two?

13. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you. The Tajima was 20€ including shipping. I think Laplanders cost like 17-20€ nowadays. A Tajima 210 which is pretty exactly the size of the Laplander costs around 18€.

14. Pscl

Pscl Loaded Pockets

Thanks, that makes the Tajima an even bigger competitor.

15. JPE

JPE Loaded Pockets

Thanks for this product test once again!

Last summer I used de Vries his Silky Gomboy, think it was the 240. A bit of getting used to just pulling to cut. But it was faster than my Laplander. Have to say the Silky was rather new. So I've been looking at those Silky saws, but find them to expensive. This Tajima on the other hand is rather affordable. So...

Really tempting that Tajima saw. Just 2€ more for 30 mm more saw length? 14 gr heavier the big one (still lighter than the Laplander, am I right?). Have seen them for these prices. Would like the coated blade, but costing about 15€ it makes it 'to' expensive again. Any idea how fast the blade will rust? I'm normaly not carrying Balistol or other oil or grease with me in the woods.

16. GeneralGlenn

GeneralGlenn EDC Junkie!!!!!

Throw some ChapStick or small Vaseline tin into your bag. Works great:D

17. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

I dont know how fast it will rust. But i will just treat it like my knives and give it a quick rub with a Ballistol soaked rag once in a while. Its not like a non stainless steel blade/saw will vanish in rust within hours after use. :D

18. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

I certainly would not know that... :D

19. CSM-101
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

CSM-101 EDC Junkie!!!!!

Could you tell me about this DD poncho? I've been looking for a quality poncho, I've been kind of
    fixated on a USGI but I'm having trouble finding one, and the knock offs don't look like they'll
    hold up to hard use.

20. survivorman
    • In Omnia Paratus

To be honest i only used it a few times so far. It is pretty large, very sturdy and absolutely waterproof, but it`s not very lightweight. So if you are looking for something very lightweight for hiking this poncho wouldnt be your first choice. If weight isnt a big factor and you look for quality and some kind of emergency shelter and rain protection it isnt a bad choice. It also has some solid eyelets so you can use it like a small tarp.