1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SurvivePenna's EDC Thread...

Discussion in 'Show us pics of your EDC!' started by SurvivePenna, Feb 11, 2013.

1. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

You are welcome ! :) The yo-yo's are definitely on my list of subjects for the Tips & Tricks.

warchild likes this.
  2. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Found this little on-the-go charger for my cell phone on clearance at Walmart for only $5. It has a built in 400 mAh 3.7V Lithium Ion rechargeable battery. It plugs into a USB outlet and will charge in about one hour or less....

[​IMG]

I get the feeling I will be using it a lot...:D

3. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mighty Max Loaded Pockets

I'm going to have to come back when I have time and read the survival stuff. I don't know anything about surviving but it sure is interesting.

4. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you. I'm hoping to find more time to update my EDC thread with more survival related tips & tricks etc. :)

5. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

A nice Summer evening in Pennsylvania...ice cold Coke and watching the Lightning bugs make everything magical...

[​IMG]

6. lildannigurl

lildannigurl Loaded Pockets

I really like your thread...all things survival, bush crafting etc... I finally got the chance to try out my new fire striker and hatchet yesterday. With a lil help from Norse Scots I got a fire going :frantic:
    Look forward to hearing, seeing, reading more of your ideas and tricks :)

7. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you. I really appreciate it. Thanks to encouragement & feedback like yours...there's all kinds of survival stuff coming soon. :)

EDIT: Norse is a great guy and a good friend to you...but don't tell him I said so ! :p

Last edited by SurvivePenna, Jun 25, 2013
  8. lildannigurl

lildannigurl Loaded Pockets

Excited to see what you come up with...currently trying to edit the video I made yesterday. [​IMG]
    I agree ...I won't tell him if you don't his head is big enough as it is :rofl:
    "side note" I'm soooo gonna pay for that lol

warchild, scbubba, nightowl and 2 others like this.
  9. KODIAKman

KODIAKman EDC Junkie

Sweet thread SP. Enjoyed reading it and the links. I've been a bit of a survival enthusiast myself from a young age. I read "Hatchet" by Gary Paulson in fifth grade and I think that is what sparked my interest. I bought the SAS survival handbook from the book store shortly after, and read it cover to cover multiple times. My buddy and I would take weekend trips in the woods with nothing but our survival kit packs. Built lots of shelters and made lots of snares. Was a great and fun time. I also took one wilderness survival class but would love to take more. Also on my list is an edible/medicinal plant course for the area I live in now. For me its more of a fun hobby that teaches useful skills. My wife still rolls her eyes when we go camping and I insist that the first fire has to be started with a fire steel or alternative fire starting method so I can keep in practice:) Anywho, love the thread and looking forward to seeing some more.

10. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you. Much appreciated. I certainly recognize the part about starting a fire with a fire steel or some other alternative method. I have a fire pit here all ready to go with a large pile of sticks and branches. Lighting that fire with a lighter would not just be wrong....it goes against everything I am about !!! :D More than likely...that pile of branches and sticks will meet my trusty Mora (stainless by the way and not carbon steel) and my fire steel. I picked up some pine cones in the spring and they are completely covered in pine pitch. No bird nests...no lighters...no matches ..no tinder bundles allowed. I also harvested some fatwood here in the spring...and if the pine cones fails...then it's time for some fatwood shavings.

My GF will probably ask why I don't just use one of my many BIC lighters...especially since I don't smoke ! :D Blasphemy !!!!!!! :p

11. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

Why am I not following this thread? :eek: Guess, I am now. :) Going on a like-spree later...

...just have to eat first. :running:

SurvivePenna and lildannigurl like this.
  12. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Thank you and thank you for all the "likes". :)

nightowl and Antithetik like this.
  13. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Received this little piece of German engineering in the mail today...175 max lumens for $22. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited by SurvivePenna, Jul 18, 2013
  14. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Survival - Tips & Tricks

If you ever find yourself in a survival situation, it means that something went wrong. You don't even have to be lost and you can know exactly where you are and be in a world of hurt. You could be out hiking by yourself and fall and break a leg. You could be out hunting...it get's dark and you get lost and now it starts raining. The stories of real survival scenarios are many...some people survive and some are not so fortunate.

You may remember me talking about giving youself a fighting chance and how to try to improve your odds & chances of survival. Today I would like to address the subject of what is often the cause of death cited by the media and by the authorities. I'm talking about what is commonly called exposure.

Definition of exposure : the condition of being unprotected especially from severe weather <died of exposure>

Source : Merriam-Webster.com

The combination of something so benign as rain and that of colder temperatures is often what really get's people in trouble. If your clothing is inadequate to keep you warm and dry...hypothermia sets in and you're losing the battle to keep your body's core temperature in check. Confusion and fatigue can set in, hampering your ability to understand what's happening and make intelligent choices.

Luckily...we have something to keep you both dry and warm at the same time. It does not take up much space...it's lightweight and has often kept you warm and protected since you were a newborn baby.

BLANKETS

Blankets come in quite a few forms and different price tags when we are talking survival. I'm quite sure you recognize some of them, but bear with me as we dig into the many options....

1. Adventure Medical Kits SOL Sport Utility Blanket

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Survive-Outdoors/dp/B007TV33VQ/

[​IMG]

The first blanket on my list is relatively new and claims to reflect a whopping 95% of your body's heat. It measures at 5' X 7' which is pretty normal for a space-blanket type blanket. It comes with 6 grommets and can for instance be used as a quick shelter/tarp when used with paracord or bankline. it comes fairly compact and weighs a mere 11.3 Oz. High visibility orange on one side and a mylar like silver reflective surface on the other side. A very sturdy product allows many different uses and will last without tearing like many other light blankets.

A couple of cons worth mentioning are reports of a very strong "chemical" odor but this should go away when the blanket is aired out. Apparently it's also fairly difficult to pack it back into the re-sealable bag that it comes with. I think that problem is universal for most if not all "survival blankets".

Where this blanket really shines is it's very high percentage of body heat reflectivity. It's also extremely versatile especially in a survival situation with many uses....and where it's few cons weighs very, very little and it's many pro's make it shine. This piece of gear can literally save your life....or the life of a loved one. Consider that. You or someone you love get's hypothermic....how much is this blanket and it's price of around $18 worth to you now ???

So who is this blanket for ?? It's for everybody...or at least everybody that would consider carrying a survival kit. Since it weighs little, it can even accompany small survival kits. Carry it with you in your day pack or backpack when you venture out into the great outdoors. Keep one or more in your vehicle, even if you don't have a survival kit in your car/truck.

So you're thinking..."HA !!! I live in a desert and I won't get wet and cold anytime soon !". Very true...but if you're in a survival situation...this blanket will again offer you shelter...you simply flip it around and turn the reflective side towards the scorching sun to protect you from the burning heat and it could also be used to keep you out of moisture sucking winds and perhaps even offer you some protection in a dust/sand storm. My point is that this blanket is truly versatile like it's name suggests.
    "HA !!!! I'm out in the Everglades, no trees in sight, my camo colored airboat broke down and it's hot as hell....what could I possibly use a blanket for ??? (Real survival scenario btw...family of 4 got rescued because of the use of .....yes, signaling !
    You basically have a 5' X 7' sized signal flag in your possesion. You can use the blanket to protect you from the blistering sun...or even use the blanket as a large rain water collector. You get the point.

Use this blanket as a ground cover even if you have the time and resources to build a nice shelter. The cold ground will suck the heat out of your body when you lie down to sleep through conduction. Besides the cold...sleeping on this blanket in a survival situation will also protect you from the damp/moist ground.

The list goes on, but I wanted to show you some of the the many possibilities/options that you have with this amazing piece of gear. The next blanket...is very similar in many ways and has become extremely popular in both "survival-world" and among the many bushcrafters of the world....

2. Grabber All Weather Space Blanket

http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Outdoors-Original-Weather-Blanket/dp/B002CQUA3C

Ahh...the famous All Weather Space Blanket. This product is not new and have certainly become loved and trusted all over. In many ways similar to the SOL Sport Utility Blanket and shares (almost) all of it's many, many pro's. At only around $12 it is a fantastic deal and you get a serious piece of survival gear. I tried my best to come with any cons to this blanket and came up empty. It's also the "standard" 5' X 7' size and claims to reflect and retain 80% of your body's heat. Even though it's only rated 80% against the 95% of the AMK SOL blanket....I would trust this blanket anytime and twice on Sundays. It's true and tested. I would recommend getting the orange color for obvious reasons, but this blanket does come in 3 other colors to choose from. Red, Blue and Olive.

This blanket is a must-have and paired with paracord/bankline it is an excellent shelter option when you're out in The Great Outdoors. Keep one or more in your vehicle, in your home and one in your pack. It's worth it's weight in gold.....and then some !

Until next time...be safe out there ! :)

SP

Last edited by SurvivePenna, Jul 6, 2013
  15. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

BLANKETS PART 2

3. Wool Blankets

One of the blankets that I definitely want to talk about...is the wool blanket. The wool blanket has been an outdoorsman's favorite for hundreds and hundreds of years and are still very popular with all outdoorsmen...especially those that are into Bushcraft. So why are wool blankets so popular ???

The reason for the popularity of the wool blankets lies within the properties of the material they are made of...the wool. Wool is a crimped and elastic fiber obtained from sheep and certain other animals. Due to the crimp, wool fabrics have a greater bulk than other textiles, and retain air, which causes the product to retain heat and offer great overall Insulation. It keeps heat close to the body by trapping still or dead air within the fibers. Wool fiber can withstand being bent 20,000 times without breaking. In comparison, cotton breaks after 3,000 bends, silk after 2,000 bends, and rayon can only be bent 75 times without breaking. Wool is resistant to static electricity and is considered to be hypoallergenic.

Wool is fire retardant and this comes in handy when you're sitting or sleeping by the open fire. Wool is self-extinguishing and when the flame is removed, burning stops. It will not support combustion. This is why wool blankets are recommended for use in extinguishing small fires. To a certain degree, wool is even considered to be water repellent. Small amounts of liquid, such as spills, light rain or snow, will stay on the surface or run off the fabric.

The list goes on about this amazing fiber, but here's the best part...

Wool retains 80% of its insulating value even when soaking wet (saturated) !!!!

Wool blankets come in many sizes, forms and qualities. What you want to looking at is the wool content. Most wool blankets geared towards the outdoors are between 70-90 % wool. The higher precentage of wool - the higher quality and higher insulative quality you will get. The price will of course follow. In my experience...the really significant price jump happens when you go from 90 to 100 % wool. Purists must of course have the 100 % one and will pay around $150 -$300 for a wool blanket. Compare that to around $35 for a really great 90% wool blanket. (Sizes will vary)

Wool blankets are definitely worth a lot to the outdoorsman and many won't go anywhere without their trusted wool blanket. As I see it...the wool blanket has two con's which you have to weigh as you're considering your options...bulk and weight.
    Compared to other blankets in this category, this is the big and heavy blanket. However if you can live with it's size (folded) and weight...this blanket is a no-brainer. :)

These blankets can be found at decent prices for instance on Ebay, Amazon..and here :

http://www.thepathfinderstore.com/blankets/?sort=bestselling

4. Mylar "Space" Blankets

[​IMG]

The famous space blanket is known to most people. Infact I'm very confident you're all extremely familiar with it and it's many uses. I will therefore not go into depth with this blanket but just do a quick overview of some of it's feature's and perhaps it's main pro's and con's.

Metallized boPET film (Biaxially-oriented polyethylene terephthalate) better known as Mylar...was an amazing invention made by NASA back in 1964. Space blankets are made by vacuum depositing a very precise amount of pure aluminum vapor onto a very thin, durable film substrate. This low-weight, low-bulk blanket will reflect up to 97% of radiated heat. These blankets are very inexpensive and can be found everywhere...even sometimes in your local supermarket. As you already know..they are a must-have in any survival kit as well as in any first aid kit. The main reasons for this is because of price (usually around $1-2) and because of it's extremely low weight and bulk. I can only encourage you to keep one or two in your survival kit...and the same in your FAK. I also encourage you to keep around 2-4 of these blankets in your vehicle. Think about your kids...think about all of your loved ones. What's it worth to you to have it and to be able to wrap around your kids and other loved ones, should the car break down (or get stuck) in the winter time ?? Have you ever gotten your car/truck stuck in a huge snow drift...in close to whiteout conditions ?? I have....
    You get my point. These blankets are so very important. They do however have a few con's. The first and most important is that the mylar material is fairly flimsy and breaks/tears easily. (Should this happen...it's often quickly repaired with ducktape/gorillatape). Another con is that it's really annoying to work with (catches the wind and blows away)...and it's kind of noisy if you're trying to sleep.

It's probably very easy to overlook these con's if it's all you have and you find yourself in a survival situation. Even if you have blankets, ground cover and shelter covered...there's still many uses for this blanket. I encourage you to remember and really memorize this one...

Mylar "space" blankets are brilliant as reflectors of heat from a fire. Position the space blanket in such a way that it reflects the heat from the fire back onto you. If you have to..build a wall behind the fire and cover it with the space blanket. You can also use ducktape to secure it to the inside of your tarp...reflecting the heat from the fire right onto you. It makes a huge difference...

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Mylar-Thermal-Blankets-Pack/dp/B000GCRWCG/

5. Adventure Medical Kits SOL Heatsheets Emergency Blankets

[​IMG]

The AMK Heatsheets blankets sure have have a long name. These blankets may be last on my list but are definitely one of my personal favorites. They are a low-cost and high quality alternative to all of the other blankets that I have mentioned. To me personally..they are nothing short of awesome....and these blankets are what I have in my small to medium sized survival kits. These blankets are what you get if you can't live with the con's of the Mylar "Space" Blanket. This is the upgrade you will have to consider.
    These blankets are much more rugged and tear resistant compared to the space blanket.
    This also translates into a much better blanket overall with hardly any con's. For a mere $4-5 more...you will get a huge improvement over the space blanket. For an additional couple of dollars more..you can even get a two person version. The two person version is what I prefer to carry in my kits. I use the regular Mylar "Space" Blanket for my FAK(s).

The one person blanket measures 56" x 84".

The two person blanket measures 60" x 96".

Both blankets are rated to reflect up to 90 % of your body's heat. These blankets does not come with grommets but there's ways around that one con to these amazing blankets. Simply wrap a round/smooth pebble in a corner and tie it up with some paracord. Problem solved. Of course these blankets have as many uses as the other blankets. I really like the two person version of this blanket. If something happens and something goes wrong...you have the option of wrapping yourself and another person up in this blanket and share/transfer body heat...plus be protected from the elements at the same time. That is where this two person blanket really shines. You can literally save someones life with this blanket !!!!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WY49RO/

Until next time...stay safe out there ! :)

SP

Last edited by SurvivePenna, Jul 22, 2013
  16. Antithetik
    • In Omnia Paratus

Antithetik EDC Junkie!!!!!

How about a Kindle Version for the longer stuff? :D

SurvivePenna likes this.
  17. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Surviving what I put out is also a form of survival....I aim to please ! :p

warchild, nightowl and Antithetik like this.
  18. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Just a few pictures from a beautiful 4th of July, 2013....God Bless America !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. warchild
    • Memoria in Aeterna
    • In Omnia Paratus

warchild Eternal Pockets

Great Thread and God Bless America!

nightowl and SurvivePenna like this.
  20. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus