1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Surge vs Wave

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Dominator, Mar 28, 2016.

?

Which would you go with Surge or Wave

1. Wave

51.9%
  2. Surge

48.1%
  1. znapschatz

znapschatz Loaded Pockets

Hm. Locally, I don't have access to current Leatherman products not in blister packs so I can't make direct comparisons. Most Leathermen I own are from 8 years and beyond, the earliest a Micra (still in my pocket), PST and Super Tool, all from 1996-2000. Later, I replaced the ST with an ST300, then picked up a Rebar three years ago. They seem to me up to an acceptable standard. Although none of the later models match the f&f of those from the late '90s, all have held up well with none showing excessive wear. They substitute for dedicated tools when I don't have access to them, and that happens almost daily in my doings.
    Well, I don't have any immediate need for concern since I'm okay with what I have on hand. But I am somewhat troubled to think that a warranty replacement, say, or a new model would not be up to the same quality standards that have served me so well.

2. bryan123

bryan123 Loaded Pockets

The Micra you already have would pair nicely with the Leatherman Signal. The Micra's scissors would eat the Wave's for lunch.

jrandom likes this.
  3. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

I have them all (well most anyway, I don't have a Flair, even tho I kinda want one to eat cooked snails with :D )

For a daily carry first tool I would say a Wave then a Charge before a Surge.Here's why:

Unless you specifically need the extra robustness of a Surge/MUT you are just packing around quite a bit of extra weight and bulk. In the summer I go down weight wise even more and just carry a gen1 (straight blade) Skeletool, unless I know I need something bigger.

Gen1 or 2 Wave is by far one of the best all around tools LM has made to date IMO. Right sized pliers (skinny tip), perfectly usable lock blade, nice file for small work, good range of drivers (well gen 2 has the two bit holders standard and micro). I will say the Wave's scissors pretty much f'n suck though. I like the original leather case too :)

znapschatz likes this.
  4. znapschatz

Agree with comments about everything but the scissors. It is not up to previous Leatherman scissors due to being smaller, but that was a design necessity. It was a fair trade for the other advantages, I thought, accepting the occasional possibility of coming up with a chore they couldn't handle. But in the 8 years I've been using them, the scissors have performed as well as needed for anything. Logic says otherwise, but maybe the lack of size is offset by its sharpness. I don't know, but whenever I have a need for multi-tool scissors, these perform.

jrandom likes this.
  5. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I purchased an original Leatherman Wave holster for my "newer" Wave. I bought the Wave in 2012 and the holster a few months later in 2013. It was tight so I shoved it down in the leather, left it unattended for a few days, came back, and it's worked fine since.

Truth be told, I don't use it. I more or less like the idea of it. I have a Gould and Goodrich pancake holster that it matches near perfectly.

I like the Wave. It was an honest mispurchase. I wanted the Charge AL (not ALX), but it came, I was content, and the cost savings was an added perk. There's really no complaint other than as one mentioned the scissors. They won't cut loose threads hanging out of a shirt button. The Wave isn't the most ergonomic when squeezing from the outside either as if you're sawing something or cutting against something hard.

I also bought the clip and lanyward ring combo, leave the clip on it, and leave the whole unit in a LM black MOLLE sheath mounted the side of my Vanquest Trident 20.

AlgoOPC likes this.
  6. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

My Charge scissors, same as a gen2 Wave, just don't work that well. My Wave, a gen1, the scissors are quite a bit more usable. I may just have gotten a bad press on my Charge scissors, they are sharp, they just don't cut that well.

My keys have a Squirt S4 so it is no real bother. That is a great pair of mini snips :)

7. znapschatz

Just the opposite with me. My Charge scissors cut well and cleanly, while my wife's Squirt S4, not so much. She likes them anyway, her favorite toenail and magazine ad clipper, so I leave well enough alone. She's happy, I'm happy, although if the S4 were mine, I'd send it in.
    If it means enough to you, Leatherman warranty might fix the scissors on your Charge. Mine cuts tissue paper cleanly.

8. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I had a Juice S2 with really crappy scissors. I sent it back after the bottle opener broke.

Th replacement Juice S2 scissors rock!

9. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

Oops... Tapatalk posted on accident, but I'll chime in.

Surge is just too big and too heavy. Wave is pretty much the perfect multi tool for EDC. I went one further and got the charge with modified rebar pliers and an awl and couldn't be happier.

Sent from my dumbphone

Last edited by CootShooter, May 14, 2016
  10. znapschatz

Is that a stock item, or did you have your Charge modded?

11. CootShooter

CootShooter Loaded Pockets

I bought it modded from eBay with the Rebar plier head and awl (I think the scissors had to be modded a bit as well for everything to fit right, but they work great albeit a little small).

[​IMG]

jrandom and Sly like this.
  12. znapschatz

Looks great! I would miss the fixed slotted screwdriver, which I use more for prying than turning screws, but think I could live with the bit setup for screwdriving. My solution for the lack of an awl on my TTi was an awl mod that fit into the pocket clip slot, a kludge but works good enough. Best solution would be to trade that dinky eyeglass screwdriver for a built in awl. Maybe someday...

13. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

I bought a wave about a week ago and I seem to find a use for it daily. The standard drop point blade is fairly sharp out of the box, and having used it to cut a ton of canvas, strip wire ( with the blade) and other cutting feats of manlyness, it still has a good edge on it. I've used the wire cutters quite a bit, and they seem decent even up to the larger stuff, although on large wire I have to cut , and then cut again to get through the side that was hanging out of the smallish cutter surface. I love the bit holder that seems to be getting popular on alot of leatherman MTs. I've used the screw driver bits almost daily since I bought the Wave. The can opener on it might open a can, never tried it. I do know that the can opener will open a bottle, but is sharp enough to puncture the top and the lip grabber part is fairly slippy on the bottle top. I've used the 3 sided file to work on broken fingernails, file the gunk off of the old four-wheeler spark plug for the kids, ect. Last weekend when I bought the Wave, I immediately deployed it to fix the four-wheeler. It tackled everything except the hex bolts, as I don't have the extra bits yet. As my first "good" MT , I am impressed with it! The little junk ones I've had that cost $5-$10 just don't compare in the slightest.

P.S.
    I'm even impressed with the scissors! The scissors cut through shirt material ( which I do daily at work to make rags with) and plastic packaging, and thick package cardboard as well.

14. znapschatz

Mine is a Charge TTi, basically a fancy Wave, so they work the same. Actually, I had been shopping for a Wave when up came the TTi at a price I couldn't refuse. It has been in my EDC for the last 8 years, and like yours, gets daily use. I love it for its versatility and have the various accessory gadgets that go with it, all fitting into the standard nylon pouch. The only thing missing was an awl, and in fact that had meant enough to me when I was shopping around that I was ready to pass on the Wave/Charge and look elsewhere. Then I lucked into an awl mod that fit into the pocket clip slot. It's a bit of a kludge, but worked well enough to seal the deal. I wear the outfit horizontal on my belt at 12:30 and can literally forget about it until needed.

I'm glad you appreciate the scissors. Some reviewers believe it is inferior to previous Leatherman scissors, probably because it is smaller. I thought maybe so at first, but I must say it has cut everything that came its way just as well as the larger Leatherman scissors like on the Micra or Style CS (and I like those, too.)
    The can/bottle opener is usable in both modes, but is basically a can opener. It that role it works as well as any manual opener, although the SAK opener leaves a cleaner edge. Functionally, though, they are about equal. It does work as a bottle opener also, but in order to get a good hook on the bottle cap, you have to open one of the handles to get access. With the handles closed, the underbite just won't reach. This design was no problem with the original PST and Super Tool models, but didn't carry over very well with current Leathermen. Also, care must be taken to not poke a hole in the cap. Personally, in 8 years of lifting caps with my TTi, I have never punctured any.

Sly likes this.
  15. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

I'm hoping to use my wave for many years to come, especially since the price was kinda heafty for my first multi tool. But I must admit, it hasn't let me down yet!

16. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

Ha the bottle opener! It has been so long since I used it... much quicker ;)
    Please forgive crappy picture it is hard to take a pic with no hands :D

[​IMG]

Sly likes this.
  17. Sly

Sly Loaded Pockets

I'm afraid to askwhich appendage you used to take the pic with...

jrandom likes this.
  18. jrandom

jrandom Loaded Pockets

Hahaha a Joby and video mode :)

19. Vartz04

Vartz04 Loaded Pockets

I have a charge ALX over the surge. I keep a rebar too but carry that less (if i do I feel I need to carry a pocket knife too cause I don't like the no one hand opening of the rebar

20. TTPower

TTPower Loaded Pockets

I would choose the Surge only because it has bigger scissors which can be accessed without opening the multi-tool and it will probably be carried in a bag.