1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Surefire U2

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Barnowl, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Barnowl

Barnowl Loaded Pockets

I am thinking of buying a surefire U2 for EDC. Has anyone got experience of this torch?

2. Kilovolt

Kilovolt Loaded Pockets

I've had mine for three years now and the ring for selecting the level is still the best solution available because you can choose the output both before and after switching on the light. My light never missed a beat.

The only small caveat is that you can't expect much throw from a U2, the beam is rather floody and covers a wide area, very good for EDC.

3. Barnowl

Barnowl Loaded Pockets

Thanks for that Kilovolt. I was looking at the U2 because it appears to give a good alround solution and therefore god as an EDC.

4. NAdams65

NAdams65 Empty Pockets

Timely post.....my wife just returned from her deployment last night and handed me a SF U2 Ultra.
    Haven't used it yet but I hope to put it in service soon.....

Nate

5. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

mine is 3-4 years old, (one of the early Luxeon V ones that takes 18650) and i love it,
    i have other lights that are brighter, dimmer, throw further etc, but there isnt much out there that is more useful.
    it is a fairly large light (for 2x123)
    I love mine, but i would like a bit more output, when i can afford it i will send it to milky and have it MCEd or U2x2ed

6. LupinIII

LupinIII Loaded Pockets

I recently purchased a SF U2 myself (with the newer SSC emitter). I managed to snag an 18650-compatible body with it, and the runtimes are great. Add to that the extremely versatile control ring, and it's one of my new favorites.

It is indeed a little on the large side though, but if you're carrying a pack with you, it'll serve great in combination with a smaller light.

7. JML

JML Loaded Pockets

I have one of the early ones, but if I was looking for something like that now, I'd buy the JetBeam RRT-2. I have that one, too.

8. LupinIII

LupinIII Loaded Pockets

Yup, I really like the UI of control ring flashlights, so I picked up the RRT-2 and Nitecore SR3.

While the the RRT-2 is nice, it's less flexible with only 3 levels of output. It's also more of a thrower than the U2.

The SR3 has 8 levels of output, is more suitable for EDC due to its smaller size, and its output is comparable to the other two. Since it runs on 123's though, the runtime is going to be less than ideal.

9. Barnowl

Barnowl Loaded Pockets

Thanks guys, all of your thoughts/ comments have really helped.

10. prime77

prime77 Loaded Pockets

I got a U2 in November of last year and I got seem to put it down. It's a little heavy for a EDC light but I really love mine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front porch beamshot :D
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

11. SF1

SF1 Banned

Yes, I keep one in my truck. One of the best lights ever made. Worth every penney.

12. freytes2004

freytes2004 Empty Pockets

I have one and it is awsome

13. fordcappy

fordcappy Loaded Pockets

A clean and simple UI, none of this crack the head a quarter turn and click the switch to put it into programming mode. The beam is Floody.

14. KeyGrip

KeyGrip Loaded Pockets

I use one as my main work light. Very versatile, tough, and easy to use. The newer version with the SSC P4 has a tighter hotspot and throws better than the old Lux Vs, but I would still describe the beam as being a balance between flood and throw.

15. Lord Bear

Lord Bear Loaded Pockets

The wireclip (a knife co. called Spyderco taught me otherwise), the size/weight, and the lack of lumenosity put me off. I ended up with Jetbeam RRT-0. Many Surefires, none of them control ringed. Wish Invictus or Optimus (can't remember WHICH was cancelled) would come along.

16. Brangdon

Brangdon Loaded Pockets

I have an old one. It was good at the time, and I still like the UI, but my D10 out-performs it and has a much more convenient size (and runs on a single AA rather than 2 123s or 18650). So it gets left in the car as a backup. It'd be a good light to lend, too, as it's simple to use and still not too shabby in performance.

I imagine modern U2s are a lot brighter.

17. CELICA XX

CELICA XX Loaded Pockets

How has the selector ring held up under long-term use ?