1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

surefire eb1

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by pjm106262, Dec 16, 2012.

1. pjm106262

pjm106262 Loaded Pockets

hey nguys,

I've been searching for a new edc light and I wanted to stick with a single cr123 cell light. I wanted a simple low high mode with momentary and the most reliable light I could find. I have never owned a surefire so I wanted to give the eb1 a try. I am trying to find the cheapest place to purchase one since they are made of gold lol. Also, any input on the light will be useful since it'll be my first surefire. I currently carry a 47's quark x 123^2. The cheapest I have found the eb1 for ~$160 shipped. Does anyone know of a cheaper source?

2. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

I know SF has put out great products but for the price and what they are offering makes me feel like they are just riding off of the reputation they have built. I personally feel that they lack interesting designs and they are not exactly revolutionary, which in turn, does not equal the price they are sold at. $160 dollars can get you A LOT of flashlight, I personally would explore other options. The price you have found is the cheapest at the moment, only other possible option is Ebay, 2 days left and it is at 130$.

3. pjm106262

pjm106262 Loaded Pockets

I'm open to suggestions. I just feel like my quark is cheaply made, but it has lasted a year of edc. The only other option I have found is an HDS. another plus with surefire is its made in USA. im also following another thread similar to what im looking for.

4. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

How about the Peak Logan?

Blerv likes this.
  5. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Lights like Foursevens feel cheap mostly because they are aluminum which is the best material for heat dissipation. Of course the other factor is they ARE cheap but that doesn't mean they are less than reliable (on average). :)

Surefire lights are solid and something like a P60 with a Malkoff drop-in is nearly bulletproof. HDS is pretty much a custom light so I would throw in other brands like Macs Customs for the money.

Peak is an American maker and a fraction of the price but also available in SS and Brass bodies, multiple modes via a clever QTC pill, and a momentary switch. The optic is sealed behind the lens and their pill is injected with thermal epoxy.

6. sl66ICEcuba

sl66ICEcuba Loaded Pockets

Some flashlights that come to mind (if you are dead set on a single cell CR123) Fenix PD20, Jetbeam BC10, and Quark Pro. All are fully capable of tail standing, clicky switch equipped, are from reputable companies, reliable, and SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the EB1. Only issue that comes to mind is the PD20 has a max output of 180, just shy of the EB1's 200 lumens. If you have the opportunity to handle any of the mentioned flashlights prior to making a decision, it would help you get a better understanding. I can't give a pos/neg recommendation for the Sunwayman V10R Ti+ just yet (currently in the mail) but for close to the EB1 price it just seems like a lot more, Titanium, almost infinitely adjustable light output settings, CR123 and 16340(with the included extender for the 175 shipped price tag), true moonlight mode and a blistering 210 lumens on CR123, 470 lumens on 16340, and did I mention it is in TITANIUM!

7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

You might also look for a Surefire E1B - still perfectly good lights, if not quite the retina searing output of the EB1.

8. parnass

parnass Loaded Pockets

9. Sarky

Sarky Loaded Pockets

A few years ago when I was after a good 1 x CR123 I ended up with a Surefire E1L. The EB1 or E1B are obviously better options if you want something really bright, but what I want to say is I have bought a lot of decent flashlights, and if I could only keep one it would be the little Surefire. I couldn't find one cheap in the UK and ended up paying full price, which made me cringe at the time, but to this day I feel it was money well spent.

I'm also a fan and owner of Fenix, Quark, Jetbeams etc, but the Surefire would be the last to go.

archimedes likes this.
  10. MikeFromGermany

MikeFromGermany Loaded Pockets

As you are open for suggestions:

How about a HDR Systems Clicky? They are really well build and you only have to remember two different 'click commands' to get a low and a high. You can even customize the brightness levels for each of the different click sequences.

11. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

Good option ... also the (discontinued?) L1, if you can find one for sale.

12. pjm106262

pjm106262 Loaded Pockets

thanks for all the replies. I have been following the thread on cpf someone referenced. I will stop by goinggear and play with the options you guys suggested before i take the plung.

13. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

If you prefer low to come on first, the E1L would be the ticket. I have one, but tend to carry my E1Bs more because the smooth shape slides in and out of my pocket better. They are great lights... the E1Bs are on closeout now. :)

14. rotncore

rotncore Loaded Pockets

Malkoff is also planning to release a single cell standalone EDC light in the coming year, so that is an option to consider if waiting is an option. I also own an E1B, and for Christmas this morning received an EB1, and love them both. The E1B is a bit more compact, and has great regulation. Too early to judge my EB1.

15. Zerv14

Zerv14 Loaded Pockets

I was dead-set on an EB1, but recently ordered an E1B instead.

The E1B is smaller, more ergonomic, still plenty bright for me, has better regulation, and since it's been discontinued you can find it for around $112 if you hunt around a bit.