1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SureFire EB1 is out!

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by IMightBeWrong, Nov 26, 2012.

1. IMightBeWrong

IMightBeWrong Loaded Pockets

I've been waiting for this one ever since SHOT Show at the beginning of the year! The clip has a lanyard space now, it's available with the tactical switch ala LX2, and it pumps out 200lm with a TIR lens!

http://www.surefire.com/illumination/flashlights/eb1-backup-flashlight.html

Now if only I could find a retailer that had them in stock so I wouldn't have to pay the full MSRP through SureFire.

2. keith1234
    • In Omnia Paratus

keith1234 Loaded Pockets

I got an advertisement on FB for the EB1 manufacturer list is $220 alot of money in my book, I'll stick to my E1B.

3. IMightBeWrong

The price through retailers that are supposed to carry it is around $150. My E1B has been riding in my pocket as my primary light with no substitutes for about 2 years now. I'd say the newer generation of the light is worth it to me if it can serve as an update to my beloved.

4. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Good old SureFire . . . I'll believe it when someone actually receives one and posts a picture of it.

5. MDCCLXXVI

MDCCLXXVI Loaded Pockets

I heard on another forum by reliable source that itll be at least 2014 until its released to distributors, due to issues with the tailcap.

6. xbanker
    • Administrator

xbanker Geriatric Admin
    Staff Member

According to this site ($154): Pre-order: This product will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. The expected ship date is on or around Dec 03, 2012. Order now to secure your place in line.

7. IMightBeWrong

I was informed about a month ago by a representativefrom SureFire that it would officially be out right around now, and it's now up on their site. I'm thinking it's right about good to go, but we'll see what happens. I can wait on mine, though. I have to knock out the holiday shopping first anyway. :p

8. kd7dvd
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

kd7dvd EDC Junkie!!!!!

Now I'm cursing my precipitous impulse buy of a Prometheus.

No, no I'm not... :rofl:

(Seriously, be nice to have a midrange level, 50-60 lumens maybe)

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I honestly don't care. I have a SureFire L1 that was modified by Scott (MilkySpit on CPF) to put out 200+ lumens on the highest setting and 40 on the lower. With a better U.I. than what SureFire will offer on the EB1. (Very good runtime too.)

So, I've got my better-than-an EB1 already. :happy:

10. Tango 191

Tango 191 Loaded Pockets

Great, my wallet hates you for posting this, myself on the otherhand couldnt be happier :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

11. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

12. IMightBeWrong

Availability: Pre-Order. I meant in stock, but it isn't actually in stores yet. I'm gonna wait and get it later. Too many XMas gifts to buy right now!

13. scaru

scaru Loaded Pockets

200 hundred lumens! ZOMG that's so bright! :giggle: Seriously though, why do you guys buy surefires when you can get brighter lights that have a better UI for less...

14. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I personally buy Surefire because it's made in America.

15. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Bright as Hell output isn't the most important thing to everyone interested in lights. (I know . . . shocking! But true.) Beam profile, runtime, durability, reliability, quality, U.I., all more important than sheer brightness. As far as U.I. goes, best one I've found is exclusive to SureFire. The U.I. on my L1 is excellent. A gentle press for low-mode, a hard press for high-mode. Alternatively, a small twist for low or more twisting for high. (Both in the continuous-on position.)

With that U.I., you get the reliability of a momentary-on tailcap press along with the versatility of a lower mode. Best part is, in a situation where you need as much light as possible immediately; just slam your thumb down on the tailcap and you've got that. No lower mode to cycle through. No lower mode that gets accidentally accessed. No other company has pulled that particular U.I.

As far as the U.I. on the EB1, many of those less expensive competitors can't even pull off a reliable forward-clicky design. Often when they try, you get a tailcap that is rock-hard and too sensitive or mushy as Hell (and too sensitive). There's a reason why many of SureFire's competitors use a reverse-clicky on their multi-mode lights. Mainly due to the fact they can't make a decent forward-clicky switch. That doesn't sound better at all.

low_down likes this.
  16. scaru

scaru Loaded Pockets

Ok, I'll tackle all of these comparing it to my favorite light of all time: A TK35 clone with a modded driver. Beam profile, there are a few rings at the sacrifice of doing 20k lux. This means it can effectively light up something at a distance and still work well at short ranges. Run time: yes, on high yours will run longer than mine will. This is because yours is not as bright, if I set my TK35 to an equivalent brightness setting it could do just as well. Durability: I have dropped it many times and there are maybe two scratches on it. It has not broken yet despite being used daily. Realiability: Not once has mine failed to turn on whether it be at the lowest output or at the highest. Quality: is great. All the solder joints are great and unlike my Surefires (6P and G2X) it has not broken and have to be sent back for warranty repair. UI: it has an extremely special UI. It has 2 buttons: a forward clicky for momentary and a reverse clicky to change modes and set the brightness level. It has 3 preset modes: 5%, 40% and 100%. From any of those settings I can ramp it up or down in brightness. It is infinetly variable. I can also easily access strobe if I need it by holding down the reverse clicky.

I talked about this above so I can always tell what mode it will come on in and quickly get to whatever mode I want while still using a momentary.

Ok, so on my TK35 if I'm in that position I could either hold down the button for strobe or use the momentary to turn it on.

I'm not to sure why you say that. My solarforce forward clicky has not failed me yet. The ones on my surefire however have died 3 times.

17. IMightBeWrong

I've owned a few Fenix and 4Sevens lights in the past. Nothing wrong with them for a basic EDC light, but most of them had some kind of issue within 5-6 months. Broken clickies (twice, on both a Fenix and a 4sevens), cracked lenses(4sevens), UI problems (4Sevens strobe stopped working), and when I finally got around to trying a SureFire I never looked back. Funny thing is, I barely used the others that hard at all. In about 2 years I've had no issues at all. The clicky is like new, I've dropped it a ton and the anodizing barely shows it, I love the two-way pocket clip, the simplicity is actually my preference, and I could go on and on. If I had to trust my life to a light, it'd be a SureFire or an Elzetta any day of the week. No lego lights, no mods, no other useless fluff. The lights are rock solid and simple.

I guess "better UI" is subjective. The High/Low only style is my absolute favorite UI of all time. I don't need any other modes. The beam profile doesn't matter much to me either. I want a light that will throw, and with the TIR the SureFire will throw. I guess you can say that I love a good light - but I'm not a true flashaholic. I've just tried a good handful of lights and found that SureFire does it for me best for a pocket light.

18. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I've got a genuine Fenix TK35. Excellent quality light. I often EDC one of my Fenix lights along with one of my SureFires. A SureFire L1 and a Fenix TK35 are completely different lights though. A side-by-side comparison wouldn't even be apples to oranges. More like peanut butter to motor oil.

I've owned Solarforce products in the past. Gave away mine. The overall quality was lacking. Not just compared to SureFire but Fenix as well (Tk10 model). Wasn't too impressed with the tailcaps. In all honesty, I prefer tailcaps that are momentary-on / twist constant-on. Zero failures over the years I've owned them, and used them. But I do have forward-clicky SureFire tailcaps too. Mine have been completely reliable as well.

IMightBeWrong likes this.
  19. IMightBeWrong

I'm excited for the momentary/twist tailcap coming out on the EB1 as well. Basically the LX1 Lumamax that everybody was hoping for under the EB1 name.

20. MDCCLXXVI

MDCCLXXVI Loaded Pockets

E1B = 110 lumens

EB1 = 200 lumens

difference = 90 lumens

Cost of EB1 = $220

$220 / 90 lumens = $2.40 per lumen to upgrade.

^ Not worth it, consider non-lumen factors on the E1B are probably similar or better. Durability, reliability, stable output, etc. So I'll stick with my E1B until something genuinely better in many ways comes along.

keith1234 likes this.