1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Surefire Earpro (EP3 and EP6)

Discussion in 'Gear Reviews' started by echo63, May 13, 2010.

1. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Just got these in the mail yesterday
    [​IMG]
    Surefire EP3 and EP6
    they are essentially the same, with the EP6 being black, and the EP3 being a Clear colour.
    for the purposes of the review i will just talk about the EP6
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I bought the medium size ones, I bought them from Platatac (australian dealer) and they told me that medium fit most people, small suit kids, and the big ones, are for people with larger ears.
    the Medium fit me ok, but are a little large for my wife's ears (i will get her a pair of small soon) EDIT - they fit her ears ok, they just take a bit of wiggling to get them in comfortably due to the odd shape of her ears

From what i can find online they have a NRR (noise reduction rating) of 8 without the stoppers, and 16 with the stoppers in.
    with the stoppers in, they are as quiet as normal foam squashy earplugs. with the stoppers out, they deaden loud noise, but still let you hear talking, i will update this review after i have used them at a Concert, and at the racetrack with loud noise around.
    they are very comfortable, if you can wear canalphones or normal foam ear plugs comfortably, then these will be no problem. they also lock into the ear very well, i would have no problem pulling a helmet or balaclava over them and them staying in.

2. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Those look really nice. I'll have to look into them for my next range outing. What's the price point on 'em, by the way?

I'd be very much interested in the results from your testing of them. Keep us updated! :)

3. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I paid around $25 AUD per pair, plus shipping, they are about 12-15 USD

4. Roach

Roach Empty Pockets

I use the EP3 plugs at the range all the time. They work just as well as any of the cheap foamy things we get handed with our ammo. 30 lanes firing everything from m9 to m240 for hours and I havent had a single problem hearing the cadre bark orders.

If you think you can use these in the barracks to sleep when you have a chainsaw snorer on the top bunk....think again. The sound canals have special buffers that only block damaging high decibal sounds, but not snoring lol. the cheap foamy plugs will keep snoring from waking you up tho.

5. revance

revance Empty Pockets

I use these under my muffs when at the range. They are alright by themselves for stuff like .22lr rifle, but anything else I want something better (EarPro 33nrr muffs). They are nice to have under the muffs though so you can safely take your muffs off for talking without fear of immediate permanent hearing damage.

6. Neo9710

Neo9710 Loaded Pockets

What about for outdoor shooting (rifles/handguns)? I would like some sort of hearing protection for active shooter situations but want to be able to hear my radio. A lot of my guys use the radio earplugs but I dont want to limit my hearing on one side..

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I use these (EP3, EP4) at the range (indoors and out), at concerts, and for sleeping in noisy environments. They are great, and very comfortable.

One caveat for concert-goers: if you go to a very bass-heavy show, they will not be effective in letting you enjoy the music, as they attenuate highs and mids significantly more than bass. This is rectified by putting them in improperly in your ear canal (not fully inside), which lessens the hearing protection but still effectively attenuates the sound to comfortable levels.

8. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

You want these for concerts and any time you want to maintain the exact same sound, just not as loud:

Etymotic ER20

They make a custom-fitted version for musicians that cost a lot more.

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Been looking to pick some of those up... haven't found a place I want to order from yet, and Ety doesn't have the big ones in stock.

10. evilive138

evilive138 Loaded Pockets

Got them from the NEX / AAFES. They work well with the stoppers.

11. compy222

compy222 Loaded Pockets

i used to use these driving in my convertible on the highway. 20db reduction with a full range of hearing capabilities is perfect. it still lets you hear what is going on around you, just doesn't deafen you after an hour of driving at 70mph.

12. jbergenudd

jbergenudd Empty Pockets

what's the diameter of the hole for the stoppers? I was wondering if you could plug in a pair of shure E2c earphones in them...

that would be sweet!

13. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

I use them for concerts and they are fantastic - pretty much the best you can get at the moment without going to custom made sets. Compared to everything else I have tried they also keep the sound fairly intact, so you can still hear everything, unlike most cheap plugs which kill higher frequencies and turn the music to mud.

14. feesix

feesix Loaded Pockets

Dumb question, Are these made buy the flashlight maker?

15. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

Yea, Surefire started with Lasers and Weaponlights, and recently added Suppresors, knives, Hearing Protection and Radio Accessories to their Line

maybe 1.5mm, you arent going to get your Shures in there, unless you pull the whole noise brake bit out (they wont provide any protection then though)

In addition to my Initial Review

I have now been carrying these things in my pocket for 5 months, and have used them a few times.

1. They are much easier to put in properly than the cheap foam plugs, much quicker too (i can do it while running, and carrying camera gear)

2. The supplied carry case will wear out if you carry it in your pocket, with keys etc. I now carry mine in a small Nalgene tub (that has been modded with Glow powder and Epoxy)

3. they work well, i have worn them out on the tarmac, while waiting for a jet aircraft to stop so i could photograph a passenger disembarking. with the stoppers in they worked as well as a normal pair of foam earplugs.
    when using them at a Tarmac Rally (photographing again, with big V8s running by not more than 6 feet away) and no stoppers in they brought the loud noise down to a comfortable level, but i could still hear the quiet cars coming with enough time to get ready to shoot.

all in all im pretty happy with them, they work for what i use them for, are comfortable, and are reusable (and easy to clean)

16. jbergenudd

jbergenudd Empty Pockets

no the shures have a diameter of five millimeters without the foam/silicon part

seems like a good pair of earplugs might get a pair anyway...

17. elricfate

elricfate Empty Pockets

Good review. Thanks.

18. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Another big thumbs up for the EP-3's. Not only great for the range, but excellent for that noisy lawnmower in the garage, too!

19. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

Any chance we could see some pics of them in use? I would be interested to see how & where they sit in the ear.

And thanks for the review!

20. benvr8

benvr8 Loaded Pockets

I've got a few pairs of EP3 for myself & family. They've worked great! Excellent sound reduction and we can still hear each other speak without raising our voices to the yelling level! A+ product, wish they were $5 cheaper though.