1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Surefire E1B

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Max Archer, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Max Archer

Max Archer Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking of getting one of these with my REI dividend this year. I'd like something a little more serious than my Fenix LD01, and the E1B seems like a really nice option. This will be my EDC light, pocket carry, not a massive amount of use but it'll get a little most days. Most similar lights aren't options due to the whole REI thing.

Any input?

2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The E1B is a nice light, but as an EDC, I didn't like the shorter run time on the high setting.

The E1L, on the other hand, has a much more impressive run time and the TIR optic makes the 45 lumen output seem a lot brighter than the numbers suggest.

That said, if you're going to be using the flashlight in semi-lit areas, you'll want the higher output, even at the cost of reduced overall runtime.

Of course, with REI, if you get the E1B and don't like it, you can always return it.

-Trevor

3. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

I can't stand the run time. Semi-lit doesn't need huge output. I use high output for forest work and getting my bearings in near-total darkness. 100+ lumens lets me see not only where I am, but where I should be going.

4. Max Archer

I'll look into the E1L. Somehow I got mixed up and thought that there was a mid-mode on the E1B, now I see that there isn't.

Well, now I'm torn. I use the 27 lumen mode on my light quite often, but wish it was a bit brighter, so the E1L would be great, while the E1B is probably way too bright. Should I basically expect the E1L's "45" to be not too far from Fenix's "80"? However, the E1L isn't going to pocket carry nearly as nicely, is it? Is there any way of putting a "head-down" pocket clip on it?

Looks like my local store actually has an E1L, maybe I'll go over there and see it for real. I guess I could always just get myself a knife instead of a light, if worse comes to worse...

5. MDCCLXXVI

MDCCLXXVI Loaded Pockets

E1B isn't my best light, but its probably my best-looking light.

6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Hypothetically, you can swap the E1L's standard clip for the E1B's recurve clip. If you browse Ebay or CPF Marketplace, you can find people selling the E1B recurve clip.

FAIR WARNING: People claim to have done this successfully. Every time I've tried, I've chewed up knuckles and sprayed blood liberally around my work station. You have been warned.

-Trevor

7. Lynx
    • In Omnia Paratus

Lynx Loaded Pockets

Here is a picture of my E1L with the two-way pocket clip of the Backup.

[​IMG]

8. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

See? It can be done. Just not by me, apparently. :nana:

-Trevor

9. jcc

jcc Banned

I say get the E1B, but I'm a little biased.

Switching the clips on an E1L is really easy, you just need to file down the sides a little bit on the clip.

[​IMG]

In the next few weeks I'll be adding tritium inserts to these. ;D

10. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I'm a little biased as well. I had the E2DL and wanted something smaller. I decided on the E1B and that's all I carry now. Spectactular little light. 5 lumens is good enough to look for something in the car. 110 lumens for tactical use or lighting up a room.

11. AlteredMentalStatus

AlteredMentalStatus Loaded Pockets

Been carrying an Surefire E1B for a while now and never placed in a situation where it could not deal with. 110 lumens for an hour running time may be short for some but thus far it has never been an issue for me. Only time I ever used the 110 lumen is when I make a water lantern during power outages.

12. Max Archer

I really really wish the E1B had a middle mode, this would be so easy. I live in a big apartment complex with really bad lighting and lots of crap (literally, thanks to people who don't clean up after their pets!) on the walkways, so I use my light all the time for basic stuff like walking to my car, taking out the trash, or whatever. 110 lumens is definitely overkill in those situations, and I'd rather not have to replace my batteries weekly.

I think the E1L is probably the best bet, 45 lumens should be great for what I need it for, and the battery life will be a big deal to me. I guess I'll look into getting an E1B clip, I just need to actually find one!

This is going to be a long shot, but does anybody by chance have an E1L or an E1B and a Leatherman Serac S3? I'm trying to visualize exactly what the size of this light will be and that's the only light I have that's anywhere near this size range.

13. MDCCLXXVI

MDCCLXXVI Loaded Pockets

E1B is a secondary light ... It was designed on the presumption that you'd have a primary light that is more useful and potentially more effective.

14. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

EB1 (not E1B) coming out this year, 200 lumens on max and programmable via an external USB dongle. It's in their 2012 catalog (pdf) but not on their product listing.

15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Heh - I'll believe it when I see it and not before.

-Trevor

16. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Does Surefire have a history of teasing products that never get made? I agree that some skepticism is usually healthy, but Surefire's been pretty reliable in my eyes. I'm just wondering if your experiences differ from mine.

17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Surefire has several reputations - among them, the promise of Vaporware. Stuff that gets advertised, but never sees the light of day. CPF has more stories, but the LX-1 leaps to mind.

It's something of an on-going joke, like really extended release dates. But then again, I might just be overdosing on my healthy skepticism. ;)

-Trevor

18. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info! I guess I'm not paying close enough attention to them, I've never heard about that (no sarcasm, I genuinely didn't know).

I do hope the EB1 comes to light though. I've been considering upgrading my 80 lumen E1B to the new 110 model, but now I'll probably just wait and see if the 200 lumen thing ever comes to pass.

P.S. This is why you don't tease products: cannibalism of existing models!

19. Max Archer

The EB1 probably won't be right for me. I don't have much use for 200 lumens. Aside from that, I can only imagine that it's going to cost a ton, and REI won't have it any time soon for me to use my dividend on anyway.

20. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

If the timing or other factors don't work out, then I highly recommend the E1B. I've since upgraded mine with the E2D clicky tailcap for tailstanding and better retention, but it's an amazing light out of the box. And yours will be even brighter than my older model. =)