1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Surefire E1B, First thoughts and mini review...

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Co_Outdoorsman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

OK thanks to this site I became aware of the E1B so let me say... THANKS A FREAKING BUNCH!!! :woohoo:

Well I saw that the light was available.... SO I called my local dealer 57 miles away... He had one so I made the trip up...

I got this light in my hands and the first thing I noted was the fact the the body of the light was not "grippy" ergo first thought... "Kewl no torn up pockets"...

I looked into the bezel and thought man this thing looks like a fun house warp mirror... Good thing here as I like the look of LEDs, cant say why I just do...

I turned on the light and was amazed at the little lights output... then I fiddled with the tail (sounds kinda sick) and had the low beam going and knew right at that moment that this would be a great "Backup" to my U2... can you say 8 levels of combined light???

So I buy it and of course play with it all the way home... clip the light to my pocket, bezel down :) and head into grave yard shift at the Prison...

I have to do count in the middle of the night and nothing ticks off sleeping felons more than blinding them with light to make sure they are breathing... the low setting is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT in this capacity... as a side note there is nothing worse than working in a darkened environment and having to turn on a flash light and blinding one self... with a little practice I can turn it on to the low setting without ruining my night adapted vision...

A few nights after I got this light I had the opportunity to use full power to light up an inmate that was at the far end of the pod... was nice to see that at 70ish feet he had to cover his eyes from the incoming beam...

I have to say, in closing, that the High On then Low On is perfect for what I do and I appreciate Surefire for knowing what we need in the field... If I have to use it for defense the high on first is what I want...

Things I liked...

The clip is good for Bezel up or down... Mark me as a down guy...

The clip will work attached to a ball cap... I actually use this from time to time when I need to be "hands free"

The smooth texture keeps it from snagging in my pocket... and no torn up pockets...

The HA speaks for itself...

On Low setting I can read pass on notes and post orders without blowing my night adapted vision

The light will be used mostly at night and mostly on Low so the 37 hour run time is my fave point... batts aint cheap...

Things I didn't like...

When I slipped in a 123 rechargeable batt the light flickered... I am a user and not a tech but was told that this was normal... so no rechargers for this baby...

Final Thought...

Hope this helped some of you... My final thought,,, if in need of a little "backup" light this is the one to get,,, 10 plus rating... O0

Yup forgot to post this in Gear Reviews so someone go ahead and move it.... thanks

2. RatHoler

RatHoler Empty Pockets

Thanks for the review; I'm probably going to purchase one soon! O0

3. FrogmanM

FrogmanM Loaded Pockets

Nice Review outdoorsman! The E1B sounds perfect for your job! I have a NovaTac 120T and the high setting comes on first, and if I need to get to a lower level without blowing my NV I just cover the business end and click away. What technique do you use? O0

Mayo

4. Co_Outdoorsman

well after much training and experimentation I simply cover the business end and click twice... pretty simple tactical maneuver.... :woohoo:

5. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

Is there momentary on on this light?

6. Co_Outdoorsman

Yes...

press and hold for momentary bright...

press and hold then release then within two seconds press again for momentary low...

if you want constant on then do the above to get your choice of high or low and then click on to stay in either high or low...

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I'm trying to decide if the multimode would be bothersome. Do you ever accidentally switch between modes when you don't intend to?

8. Co_Outdoorsman

Nope... It takes a pretty good click to "lock it on" and once I got used to the high/low switching... well it stays where I click it too... only takes a soft push, a less than 2 second break, and a click for low... or one solid click for high...

9. Styerman

Styerman Empty Pockets

Thanks for the review and your service , ya got me pretty convinced . I prefer the default hi output .

Chris

10. Rico801

Rico801 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the review of this light. I ordered one today and didn't even check reviews. I hate when I do that! Seems to be exactly what I need in my current assignment. I can't wait to receive this thing and put it to use.

11. Co_Outdoorsman

So let us know what you think when you get it... I was lucky, read about it here on EDCF and found it the next day...

12. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

Pulled the trigger finally and ordered one. I hope its good!

13. tvodrd

tvodrd Empty Pockets

Surefire really raised the bar for HFI (Human Flashlight Interface ;D ) with the E1B! Going from Hi to Lo, and back is a no-brainer and learned in seconds! It was intended for the LEO market, and IMO, offers a close-range "tactical" output at 60 Lm. I EDC'd mine for a week.

Around the house, I would prefer Lo first, and found the 5 Lm Lo a bit much for my purposes though the 60 Lm Hi is fine for searching corners and under things daytime. Then Surefire announced the E1L and E2L 2-stage lights. My E1L arrived yesterday with the 3 Lm low on first press, and 45 Lm Hi on 2nd. I find the Lo still a bit too hi for my evening needs, and would personally prefer the 60 Lm Hi.

The increase in LED efficiencies and driver electronics efficiencies have SF claiming 8.5 hours on Hi and 48 hours on Lo for the E1L! We now have a choice and options for our needs. E1B and E1L are bitchin lights for their formfactor, and hopefully SF will make the E1B's clip available for the E1-series owners.

The HFI is ground-breaking and my hat's off to Paul Kim for it!

Larry

14. Co_Outdoorsman

I really doubt you will be dissapointed...

15. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

BEST FLASHLIGHT EVER.

16. Co_Outdoorsman

Aint she sweet.... oh yeah aint she sweeeeeeeeeeeeet :woohoo:

17. clip

clip Empty Pockets

I jumped early and got the E1b almost as soon as it came out.

Let me say that I think the official SF pictures don't do the light justice - it's a much better looking piece of equipment in real life.

I agree with much of what has been said above - it's really bright on high mode - much brighter than things like fenixes and NDIs which claim fair higher lumen counts, although it's a very tight hotspot.

There is one thing that drives me mad about this light - I'm totally disatisfied with the smooth body. The lack of trademark SF knurling make handling this light like handling a wet football in a vaseline factory. If you have very dry or very wet hands, it's diffucult to handle the light, change modes and turn the tailcap. It's also very easy to drop. There is a really half-hearted attempt at some friction with some longitudinal lines machined along the light, but this is really just rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.

It's a shame, because I really like the light otherwise, but the reality of it makes me think that the new E1L is a much better choice.

18. KDOG08

KDOG08 Loaded Pockets

I have one and its great. I put a lanyard on the clip and I have a F04 beamshaper for it. Its the perfect EDC light IMHO....

19. VOLKOV

VOLKOV Empty Pockets

I just got my E1B today and I love it. As far as size and weight it's just like my E1L. The 5 lumens is great for most stuff. The 2 way clip is great. My only complaint for the E1L was the fact that the clip was only bezel up. I'm still amazed its as bright as my G2Z with the P60L lamp. Color is good along with the hotspot and beam. 10/10

20. El Verbo

El Verbo Empty Pockets

"I'm going. I'm ... going. That's all I know." -Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction. I'm going to Travis AFB to get mine! Thanks for the post!

[mo]
    Edited for language. Let's keep it clean.

- EDCF administrator parnass
    :pt:
    [/mo]