1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Superglue, thank you EDCF

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by qcicustodes, Sep 1, 2008.

1. qcicustodes

qcicustodes Empty Pockets

About a week ago I added a small tube of superglue to my EDC gear, based on the suggestions, comments and equipment of several members of this forum. Today while helping some friends move, my glasses frame randomly snapped.

Thanks to the superglue, I was able to repair them and ride my bike home able to see the cars.

EDC saved my life! or at least , saved me an embarrassing several mile, nearly blind, walk home

2. bruner

bruner Loaded Pockets

Cool,

You never know when the little things will come in handy. I've used super glue to seal small paper cuts.

Dan

:)

3. Button

Button Empty Pockets

I'm glad you had a means to repair your glasses and make it home. EDC superglue has paid off big time.

4. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

It's also worth considering to carry a dose of Araldite Single, a two-pack epoxy glue that cures in one minute and can do many things superglue can't.

Cheers,

Matt

Attached Files:

5. qcicustodes

qcicustodes Empty Pockets

Thanks Matt, I'll see if I can find it in a local hardware store or the like

6. grommit

grommit Loaded Pockets

The other lesson from this might be that those of us with visual problems need more spare glasses. Not all breaks are fixable with superglue. I never even stopped the suburban to look when I heard mine go scrunch as I pulled forward 15 years ago......

Zenni optical has supplied my family with 7 pair so far for under $120 total delivered.

And I now have a pair that is optimized for 4 to 6 feet, perfect for gardening and other medium range tasks that cost me 9 dollars.

7. e206

e206 Loaded Pockets

Awesome! I EDC Krazy Glue, and I've used it more than once. Great stuff!

8. D.James

D.James Empty Pockets

Longtime carrier of cyanoacrylate here.. Often use epoxy at home and about...Those Araldite singles look mighty handy... I've never seen them before, but their website says Kmart carries 'em. May have to find an excuse to go now...

9. fishwolf

fishwolf Loaded Pockets

Nice to see an EDC put to work.

10. kirbysdl
    • In Omnia Paratus

kirbysdl Loaded Pockets

I found some 0.5g single use vials at Michaels (but I bet they're common at hardware stores too). Single use vials are pretty uneconomic, but I figure I use superglue seldom enough that open vials will either harden up or squirt out and get messy.

Note that most craft stores like Joann's and Michaels have great coupons... I got my glue with a 40% off coupon!

11. madkins007

madkins007 Loaded Pockets

Superglues are great. Here is a quick primer I share with co-workers who seem to think the stuff is a miracle drug...

Cheap superglue is as good as expensive superglue like 95% of the time. Figure almost any tube you by is a single use. Usually, multiple packs of small tubes are a better value than the bigger tube. The 4 tiny tubes for $3.95 are a better deal than the single $1.00 tube.

Superglue works on exposure to water, not air.

Once opened, almost no force on Earth can keep a tube from going hard (because a little water vapor got into the tube). Good reason to go cheap.

Superglue only works on non-porous, non-oily surfaces. it won't fix most flexible plastics, cloths, leathers, etc. It also does not work very well for most china repairs.

Superglue's strength is that it resists pulling apart (tensile strength). It is pretty weak with sideways forces (sheer).

Use as little as possible- the more you use, the weaker it cures.

12. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Thanks, that was a really useful little hint collection!

:)

Matt

13. peacefuljeffrey

Time to get a pair of titanium-framed glasses like I did! :laugh:

14. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I love the stuff but nearly always glue the :censored: thing shut after one use. I repaired a nasty slice through my knuckle with it once and harly have a scar.

It may be an urban myth, but I believe it was designed originally for medical use?