1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Super Tiny Budget Flashlight?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by willydigger, Apr 4, 2012.

1. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

I'm looking for budget friendly alternatives to the 44DD, La Petite Killer, and the like. Below are a couple pics for size comparisons. I'd like to assemble a flashlight necklace and I'm more interested in size than actual light output. Also I'm not a fan of the Photon Freedom unless you know of one made of metal.

Also I know the obvious answer is the Streamlight Nano. I'm looking for something that doesn't scream flashlight. What else is there?

Thanks in advance for you help.

44DD(My dream light but they easily run $190+USD)
    [​IMG]

La Petite Killer (next to the nickle, perfect size, way WAY over-priced and I think discoed)
    [​IMG]

2. Kripto

Kripto Evil Sid

I'd just go for the 40DD or 44DD and be done with it.. They're AWESOME :)

3. willydigger

I would buy the 40DD in a heartbeat. The only one I can find easily is the 44DD and that's Ti so the price is outrageous. If he would bring back the SS version at 60-70 I wouldn't have started this thread. :D

Maybe I'll just have to start saving. Throwing down nearly $200 on a tiny flashlight, hell any flashlight is a hard pill to swallow.

4. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

tal-c likes this.
  5. TheTomas

TheTomas Loaded Pockets

I' dlove a 40DD, but for a budget, the streamlight is good.

6. willydigger

Does anyone know what the letters on the Photon Freedom mean? PWK or FMW?

7. FeebleOldMan

FeebleOldMan Loaded Pockets

Photon White Keychain = Photon IIs. POK = Orange
    Freedom Micro White = Photon Freedoms. FMG = Green

8. willydigger

So what's the difference between Photon and Freedom? The last one I owned turned on and stayed on. If I decide to go cheap is there one that has less circuitry?

9. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

10. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

Is the 44DD much brighter than the photon freedom, or is it just prettier?

The lights in amacman's link all look nice, and I was foolish enough to actually go and see how much the draco/drake light costs... :uhhuh:

If the looks isn't the main issue, i'd get the photon freedom. you might have bad past experince with it, but it is considered very reliable. I'm not sure that a 200$ keychain light will be any better.

11. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

The 44DD is exponentially brighter. Cree XP-G vs. 5mm Nicha. I have a 40DD with a high CRI LED and I would say it is close to 100 lumens. Despite it's diminutive size it still houses a 3.7V lithium ion battery run direct drive.

12. fgials

fgials Loaded Pockets

13. willydigger

For me is has more to do with looks than function. Any light in the dark is better than none. I'm leaning more towards a $10 Nano with a Cerakote. The Photon was a consideration, but I think I would be left wanting.

I think you have to rationalize that it is not a flashlight, it is instead a fancy piece of jewelry that happens to light up the night. I don't think I'm there yet. Maybe if I had the money lying around, but I will always find a knife to buy.

tal-c likes this.
  14. willydigger

15. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

I think you can get both. The 40DD for example is a jewel of a pendant but is also a very effective flashlight.

16. fgials

fgials Loaded Pockets

Its a twisty and it is very bright for it's size! The pic makes it look big.

17. willydigger

I'll check out a couple youtube's later. I think I will give this a try. I'll have to break that clip off. I'll add the 44dd to my Xmas list so I don't feel guilty about buying it myself!

18. Bullzaye

Bullzaye Loaded Pockets

FWIW...I have an aluminum Draco, a Ti Draco, and a Ti Drake. I wear the Ti Drake on a chain around my neck every single day of my life (even during AZ summers), and the Ti Draco usually resides in my watch pocket, attached to a peanut lighter.

I originally got the ALU Draco, but after about 1.5 years of wearing it around my neck, next to my skin, the chrome plating was wearing off, and it was beginning to corrode. I loved it so much that I decided I wanted the Ti version. By then the Drake was available, and since I couldn't decide between them, I got them both, Expensive? Yep...but I have no regrets. They are my favorite lights, always on me, and they never fail to astound people when they see how bright these little things are. Even better, they have an extremely low "low" setting, which is very useful. Also, the programmability and usability is fantastic. Additionally, the batteries last forever...if you rarely use the "high" setting. Since I usually use "low", I can get a year between charges. In fact...it's been so long since I've charged them, I've misplaced the charger, now I need to buy another one.

I realize these are way over your price point, but if you don't require the corrosion resistance as I do, the ALU version might work well for you, and they're...a bit more affordable.

I also have a La Petite Killer, and while it's a nice little light...it just doesn't compare to the Drake, IMHO. Only one power level, no reflector, a 5mm LED, very little throw, etc. It's more of a "keychain" light, good for lighting up the lock on your front door. The Draco/Drake, on high, can light up an entire room.

Best of luck,
    Tim

19. fgials

fgials Loaded Pockets

And the caribiner will just slip out with no problem.

20. CarpentryHero

CarpentryHero Loaded Pockets

The Quark Mini Cr2 hi cri is the smallest light I own and it was $40 when I bought it. Might be cheaper now. I was in the same boat as you, I wanted a smaller light and aaa lights couldn't cut it for me.
    And Peak LED solutions doesn't sell to Canada so it made my choice simple