1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

SUNGLASSES!

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by TheRussianNextDoor, May 22, 2013.

1. WruceBillis

WruceBillis Loaded Pockets

Not sure if your into the tactical looking glasses but Wily X makes some fantastic sunglasses.

2. dfryer1193

dfryer1193 Loaded Pockets

As long as you have the glasses and barcode from the box, you can have the frame repaired free - lifetime warranty.

Sent from my Carbonized RAZR

TARFU likes this.
  3. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

I've been using the same Oakley Half Jackets for about 8 years now at least. On my fourth pair of XJL Lenses. Gonna replace them soon with some Ray Ban Wayfayers.

4. sungame

sungame Loaded Pockets

I just looooved the classic Arnette Catfish! The only sunglasses that ever fit my strangely shaped head perfectly. I lost/misplaced the first pair, then a climbing buddy stepped on the second. I glued the temple back together, and it held up for another two years, before it suddenly fell apart again. I went to buy another pair, only to find that they were discontinued!

After trying on a gazillion of makes and models, I had to settle for a pair of Oakley Fives Squared, which at least fit OK.

I am still searching for another perfect pair, though. A couple of years ago, I tried on a friend's Bollé glasses, which cost about half as much as the Oakleys. They fit perfectly! Almost better than the Catfish. Sadly, I cannot remember the model, and Bollé are rather hard to find here in Norway.

5. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I primarily wear Costa Del Mar Brines in 580G with shiny black frames and blue lenses. It's almost a requirement to own/wear Costas if you live in the southern U.S. Amazing sunglasses. It's like seeing everything in HD, and it's stellar for water/fishing. I also own two pairs of Oakleys (one a United States Military Academy edition my ex gave me and another Flak Jacket version). Since I got my Costas though the Oakleys only get used for sports.

6. Modchop
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

Modchop Loaded Pockets

How about something from the 5.11 range?

I recently bought a pair of their CAVU glasses to replace my faithful but beat up 13 year old Oakley Eye Jackets, can't speak for their longevity yet but optically I'm very impressed with the CAVU's to date.

7. Coupe_gxp

Coupe_gxp Uber Prepared

Anything to do with glasses is kinda expensive for me since there all prescription ones but I love my Wiley-X sun glasses with drivewear Transitional Polarized lenses. I also have a pair of Ray ban polarized sun glasses.

8. Silkywyt

Silkywyt Empty Pockets

I have a pair of Oakleys. They are Flak Jackets. I love em. The only advise I have is this.... Get polarized!!! The sun will burn your eyes. I am LEO, I need my eyes. I don't wear eye glasses, and I go to the Opthamologist once a year. He told me that EVERYONE who is outside for more than 5 minutes a day should always wear polarized sunglasses.

9. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I used to only wear RayBans. I've spent hundreds of dollars on sunglasses and I wish I had the money back because it wasn't worth it. I was constantly worrying about scratching my lenses or dropping my sunglasses. It was a nuisance. Fast forward 20 years; I got married, had kids and couldn't pissaway $100 on a pair of shades. I wound up wearing glasses like these: http://www.shop3m.com/3m-virtua-slim-4n5fgs1dq2.html
    Home Depot & Lowes sell them. They are less than $10 and last a long time. When they get scratched, throw them away. I am convinced paying top dollar for sunglasses is foolish. I don't believe expensive sunglasses offer any better protection. I'm 45 years old and still don't need prescription glasses. I live in Florida and these cheap sunglasses have the UV protection I need. I still have a pair of RayBans and I notice no difference when I wear them for fun, except the RayBans are very heavy and not as comfortable. Don't think you NEED Oakleys or Maui Jims or any of the other expensive brands to protect your eyes. It's nonsense.

10. Mighty Max
    • In Omnia Paratus

Mighty Max Loaded Pockets

I think most sunglasses are made by Luxottica anyway :rofl:

11. subwoofer
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

subwoofer Loaded Pockets

I could not disagree more! But it is horses for courses and if $10 glasses work for you then good for you.

Due to having hypersensitive eyes I have to wear sunglasses whenever I am outside during daylight hours, sun, cloud or rain. I am fortunate enough to have around 20/10 vision (ie better than normal) and for me lens quality is key.

Rayban are OK and are worth their money, but it is Persol, Maui Jim, an Serengeti that really get it right and are worth every penny (REVO are also good quality, but none of their range seem to fit my face well). Best of all are glass or crystal lenses with polarising filters. My favourite of all being the photo-chromic lenses of the Serengeti glasses.

Taking care of sunglasses is no different to taking care of prescription eyeglasses and only requires the smallest of consideration to keep them in top condition. Never push them up onto the top of your head (anyone I see with sunglasses pushed up like this have no interest in clean lenses and good glasses) or put them down lens first. Soap and water and a clean microfibre cloth are all you need to keep them perfectly clear.

I would not pay thousands for Leica binoculars or a Schmidt & Bender scope, but do appreciate their quality and consider them worthwhile if you use them every day.

kikaida likes this.
  12. Rocket1

Rocket1 Loaded Pockets

I have an old pair of Oakleys. I can't remember the model but they are a full frame around the lenses and are the same shape as the the half jackets. I've had them for about 13 years now but I noticed the other day they have a small crack on the frame. They have served me well over the years. I'll probably order another pair soon

13. FrozenMuffin

FrozenMuffin Loaded Pockets

Just picked up a pair of Oakley Holbrooks and I love them. Already looking at a couple new styles from oakley.
    If you're looking for good solid glasses check out Nemesis. They're cheap and last forever. I use my pair for running, hiking, and working outside. Awesome beater pair.

14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

For $30-60, do you want more sporty/wrap around plastic sunglasses, or so you want wires, like aviators?

15. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

Ray ban new wayfares non polarized you can get at $60 (if you look hard enough)

American optical aviators you can get around $40 (they're wires)

Costa del mar, maui Jim's, persons, and Revo are all great sunglasses but they're above your price range.

Look at sun cloud as well, they're at your range

16. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I have a very wide face, so I am limited to the sunglasses that will fit comfortably.
    I work out in Saudi Arabia, on a flightline, so strong sunshine reflected up off white concrete is the norm.
    Cheap sunglasses just don't cut it.
    Most of the time I'm wearing Oakley, as they seem to fit best, plus they have great optical clarity and high levels of protection.
    Usually in a wraparound style to keep the dust out.

17. zombieslayer001

Fatheadz will work for you

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

18. graham_s
    • In Omnia Paratus

graham_s Loaded Pockets

I've not heard of them, any good?

19. zombieslayer001

I have had the same pair for over 3 years. They are called slash and they are polarized. Only cost me $29.00 at wall mart. There are many other models to choose from.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

20. Shadowex3

Shadowex3 Loaded Pockets

For the most part you get what you pay for. I never managed to scratch my sunglasses but the lenses did save my eyes a number of times when oakley's ANSI rated lenses took a hit for me, and they survived a couple of spills that nothing weaker would have.