1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sunglasses - the good the bad the ugly.

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by r-ice, Aug 10, 2009.

1. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

Okay everyones gotta have a pair of sunglasses, what do you have, what do you want, who to avoid, and what features the best?

I have had quite a few pairs of sunglasses. My latest pair is a pair of oakley nanowires 2.0 and when I bought them I had a lifetime warranty. Where the lens is connected to the frame is a screw that protrudes from the frame in to the lens where a hex slug holds it in place the frame screw popped off. I called oakleys, thinking that they had lifetime warranty and if I were to ask them they would fix it for a price, nothing to the amount I thought. 50 to fix the frame, but the lenses were so easily scratched I thought hey just get them to buff them or replace them too. 145 bucks to do that. I might as well buy a new pair of sunglasses since the nanowires weren't the best but since I had already bought them, i used them.. I also want to say the optics on that nanowire wasn't as good as my older pair of gucci ones, the polarization on the gucci were 10 times better but unfortunately again I broke them and them being the fashion capital of the world wouldn't keep old pairs in stock or even keep old fashion, so I am sofl!!!!

Now I have emailed them after calling them to see if I would get a different response maybe something to recognize my lifetime warranty but I'm not holding my breathe. Does anyone have any other manufactures that have better sunglasses and will last longer?

2. meeshi_ma

meeshi_ma Loaded Pockets

Ever since I drove busses in college I've been wearing Maui Jim's - They have great polarization and the optics are great. I haven't really compared them to other top shelf brands (because I'm still wearing the same pair that I got 9 years ago) but they blow away anything that's <$100. I've had to replace a lens twice in that time (I have 3 kids), but they were very reasonable - I think it cost $40 to replace both lenses each time.

Just my $.02

-Brian

3. PeaceOfMind

PeaceOfMind Loaded Pockets

Ray Ban makes a good product - stylish and high quality. My only beef is that their glass lens/metal frame products tend to be pretty heavy feeling on the face.

If you're willing to still consider Oakley, I think their plastic frames (aka "O-Matter" frames) are a lot more durable than their super-thin metal frame styles. Although the lenses still scratch easily because of the types of coatings that they put on them (The "Iridium" coating is nice to wear but scratches really easily).

Expensive sunglasses aside, every once in a while I will come across a pair of sunglasses in the $25-$50 range that holds up really well from a lesser-known brand. So if you shop around you can get some excellent products in this price range and won't be paying for brand name as much as with Oakley, Ray Ban or whoever.

4. SALT

SALT Loaded Pockets

I am an Oakley fan. I have many pairs but now use Monster Pups with a rx VR28 black iridium lenses

5. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

M frame Oakleys...various lenses.

6. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

the nano wires were iridium lens, and boy they are worse then ipods, you sneeze on em and they scratch.

7. landwire
    • +2 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

landwire Loaded Pockets

I've been wearing Julbo for quite sometime. I use them for just about everything now.

8. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I wear Rudy Project Rydons. They are extremely sporty, but they stay on my face when I run/bike and their huge lenses protect from wind, sun, and debris.

The last pair of Rudy Projects I had held up for over 4 years and only broke after abuse. Rudy Project has a $20 fee for replacement lenses.

9. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

Oakley Eyepatch

and

rayban 3030 outdoorsman

the oakleys do scratch, but for $150 I kinda thought they would, the raybans are better quality but they are heavy, the glass lenses can put a bit of pressure on your nose after a while. I am looking for the perfect pair, I've heard serengettis and maui jims are both amazing polarised sunglasses, but I've yet to need to buy another pair, the oakleys and raybans are doing ok for the time being.

10. r-ice
    • In Omnia Paratus

r-ice Loaded Pockets

lol the original price of the nano wires 2.0 were 400 bucks.. it'll cost 145 to fix everything.. lol.. thats why i said I might as well buy a different pair from someone else.

11. Don H

Don H Empty Pockets

Wiley X B2's had them for a few years now, frames and lenses have held up extreamly well. they came with 3 different interchangeable lenses. Revision Sawfly glasses are also really really good. For casual wear I have a pair of Oakley Ducati Gas Cans, as glasses they're great but because i have a rather small head and the arms of the glassses aren't sprung I find that when I bend over they tend to want to fall off.

12. NYguy

NYguy Loaded Pockets

You can never go wrong with Oakley, and I have the Gascans and the Canteens from their "O matter" line. My only frustration with Oakley is that I feel like they have become lazy in terms of designs and just a huge marketing machine for teenagers. Lately, their new models look so similar that there is no good selection especially when it comes to size.

13. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

I'm a big fan of Gargoyles...I've used their 85mm and legends in the past and they worked great for me.

14. RockyNomad

RockyNomad Loaded Pockets

Smith sunglasses for me. Nice lenses and the frames feel solid.

15. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

I no longer purchase expensive sunglasses. You drop them, scratch them, lose them... you are out a crapload of cash. I go to campmor.com and search for discontinued median-line shades which are often ~10-15 bucks.

It used to be that cheeap sunglasses were bad for your eyes, but that is no longer always the case. Get them measured are your optomitrists.

16. Himbo

Himbo Loaded Pockets

Serengeti. They have some of the best lenses in the business and don't have the tacti-cool oakley look.

17. codewarrior

codewarrior Loaded Pockets

I'm sticking with my Maui Jim's - titanium sports. So light, I hardly know they're on. At 6+ years now - makes the investment cheaper every year.

18. MatBlack

MatBlack Loaded Pockets

I used to slavishly buy Ray Bans when I was young and dumb. It would ruin my day when they got their first scratch. I finally wised up and found a line of cheap but good sunglasses ($10) and have been much happier since this revelation. They get scratched---I chuck them and get a new pair. I live where it's very sunny, I wear my sunglasses 365 days a year and I don't notice any difference since the switch 10 years ago. Some people believe you need to spend hundreds on sunglasses but you really don't. What the expensive brands do better is marketing and advertising. If that is something you wish to help pay for, be my guest. I'll stick with my cheap sunglasses (cue ZZTop)

19. willofgod

willofgod Empty Pockets

I am glad I am not the only one.

20. elkhills

elkhills Loaded Pockets

Me 3.

But I am going to Mexico next month and on my to do list is find some cheap Oakleys.

"...go and buy yourself some cheap sun-glass-es
    da-da-da-da-duh-da-da-DAAAAHH"