1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Summer Clothes

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Academic, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Academic

Academic Loaded Pockets

My area is supposed to have a record breaking summer this year. What edc clothes are you all comfortable in when temps reach 120 and humidity is 90%, for instance? For backcountry use as well as around town? What are you trying new this summer?

I just ordered a couple pairs of kuhl ambush cargo shorts and patagonia stretch polos hoping they will fit the bill. Reviews will be added here when i get em.

In the past for me its usually been kuhl or north face shorts and plain white cotton undershirts, but the cotton just stays wet when you sweat in it so you look like you just finished a workout all day long in the above type of conditions. I'm hopin the polos, which are cotton/poly/spandex blend will work better.

In backcountry I prefer more coverage, long sleeves and pants tucked into boots. Hats. Keeps the bugs and sun off.

Any good longsleeve shirts and cargo pants that will still be comfortable in nasty heat and humidity, while allowing for edc of course?

2. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

I really like the Kuhl Renegade pants.
    Very light and comfortable, breath well and have a DWR coating.
    Much lighter and more comfortable in the heat than my normal choice of pants (Kuhl Gunslinger or Hilo Cord, or Eotac cargos)
    But still nice and warm when it's cool.

I am planning on getting some BeyondFleece pants eventually, but they are a little out of my price range at the moment.

As for shirts, I have a collection of long sleeve shirts from Craghoppers, Columbia, Gondwana and Bear Grylls (by Craghoppers)
    The Craghoppers and Columbia ones would be my pick, I generally look for something light, breathable and with a UV protection rating, and roll the sleeves up when I can so they aren't too hot

3. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Since it appears you are not afraid of a price tag I would suggest micro weight merino wool t-shirts. they keep you cool in the heat, wick moister pretty well and are odor resistant. They are expensive but well worth it IMHO.

4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

My EDC wear is a pair of FR coveralls, and they are super sweet. Especially in the summer heat!

5. Academic

Academic Loaded Pockets

FR coveralls... think i might skip those. Not a firefighter. I can imagine how they feel though. buh

Ive got the renegade shorts and love em. just wish they had full cargo pockets. Good call on the pants.

I have merino, but only heavier stuff for cold, never tried the microweight. On my list now.

6. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Too many scars to wear shorts, but I do wear thinner weight pants.

7. JonM1911

JonM1911 Loaded Pockets

I wear TAD Gear's Amphib cargos (pants or shorts). Lightweight, durable, water repellent, breathable, and not too expensive. I've worn them in 100 degree heat and for a rifle class with temps from the 40's in the morning and 70's in the afternoon. I love them. I am looking for some good shirts though. Right now I have a few lightweight polos that I picked up from a local store, nothing special, but they are nice and conceal a handgun well.

8. Condition1

Condition1 Loaded Pockets

i have been wearing a lot of the quick dry synthetic t-shirts lately. the modern wicking technology is terrific and getting cheaper and cheaper.

for work, i have to wear natural fibers. if an arc flash happened, the synthetics would just melt to my body. wool and cotton are much safer in that instance.

9. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

Check out silk blends and wool. I recently tried on some Tommy Bahahama silk pants, they look like cotton but are lighter, airy, breathe and wick well. I have a 100% silk shirt that has a gridlike pattern of ribs woven into it, it is excellent. Silk is not as wicking or stink resistant as merino seems to be, but it is close and seems to be stronger, for the same thickness. Linen is also a tried and true tropical fabric, but is very wrinkly.

I stay away from synthetics these days in general. It can take on a funky smell in a hurry, and I once caught my cotton/poly work shirt on fire while grinding some metal. Thankfully I was wearing cotton under, and did not get injured.

10. Academic

Academic Loaded Pockets

Got my previously mentioned stuff. The polos rock. look nicish, they have collars with no buttons or other fasteners. Sstretchy and light. soft hand.

The shorts i like but the pocket design could be better.Running your hands through the zippered openings feels rough. No biggee just used to flap openings. Secure closure is nice though. Aside from the standard 6 pockets, theres a small velcro pocket on the outside front of left cargo pocket, and 2 slot pockets within right cargo pocket. These extra pockets arenl't all that nice in my opinion. The velcro stash pocket is so small only stuff like change, chapsitck, eyedrops will go in. The slot pockets do fit my phone (original droid) and ultraslim wallet (countycomm la w 3 cards) but just barely, and the slots are high in the pocket so that their contents interfere with your hand when reaching into main pocket. This as contrasted with TAD pockets or VERTX pockets which are roomier and deeper in the cargo pockets.Still good shorts. but I prolly will just use the main cargo pockets as i dont find the extras that convenient or ergonomic. Fabric, fit, and looks are nice. Rear pockets have velcro closure, but i dont use rear pockets anyway.

My current best hot weather pants are prolly my railrider versatacs, i think mine are the light version. I only have one good long sleeve hot weather shirt, think its columbia. Light nylon, couple pockets, buttons at upper arm to roll back sleeves to.

11. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I wear shorts, such as the 5.11s or these LL Bean ones: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/36414?feat=908-GN1 Also, sometimes I go with the zip off fishing pants. For shirts I use cotton or supplex ones (Cabelas,Gander Mtn, etc).

I also like to have a boonie hat in my truck in case I'm out on a really hot day. I'll wear the boonie hat and carry a bandana, so I can rig up a neck cover if needed.

12. escuelavieja

escuelavieja Loaded Pockets

In terms of fabrics for summer clothing I am a fan of Supplex.

13. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Really, no one has tried bamboo?

14. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

I have these "bandana" type tubes of material, with some water retaining polymer beads sewn in, and they are sold as hot weather relief devices. You soak them for a few minutes, tie them around your neck or head, and evaporative cooling occurs. They work. The first time I used it, I over soaked it and the polymer swelled up so much, it looked like a sausage. For those of us who are not fashionable, let me tell you, tying what looks like a sausage around your head or neck, is a fashion no-no.

Otherwise, they work great..

15. catfishdan
    • In Omnia Paratus

catfishdan Loaded Pockets

I have a couple of bamboo shirts. They look a lot like cotton but wick a little better. My favorite hot weather shirts though are button down seersuckers. I can't stand tight shirts when it's hot out and the seersucker keeps the fabric off your skin.