1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions on preventing Bicycle theft?

Discussion in 'Personal Security Devices & Self-Defense' started by Boy SureFire, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Cobra 6 Actual
    • +1 Supporter

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Beater bike

I agree with solocanoe: get a beater bike and fix it up just enough so it'll get you to school and back. Use a U-lock on it: if someone steals it, no big deal.

Attempting to use the above method I found that our local college has a slew of bikes left behind in lost and found at the end of the school year. The school sells them for $10 each. So, end of school last year I went over and spent about five minutes looking for one that worked for me. Paid my ten bucks and took it home. A couple of days later one of my buds comes over, looks at the bike and tells me it some fancy-smancy Japanese thang worth about $400 ... so now I really need a beater bike.

2. Boy SureFire

Boy SureFire May The Bridges I Burn Light The Way

Thank you to everyone for the help, but I'm not going to buy a "beater bike" since the Fuji's already been professionally serviced. I've also spent many untold hours cleaning the bike, & making sure it's comfortable. Per my OP/ post #14 there's very heavy 12LB chain/lock ready to keep the bike secure, and there will be nothing mounted to the bike (lights included as I'm only doing day riding), that being said I might get a rechargeable air horn that's removable without tools. Currently I'm planning to use the 12LB chain to secure the bike (rainy weather has kept me from using the bike), & a secondary cable/lock to keep the seat & front rim secure.

This horn seems a bit better made:
    http://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Made-Products-Blast-Rechargeable/dp/B000MTZFB8
    This one's cheaper:
    http://www.nashbar.com/bikes//CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10053&catalogId=10052&langId=-1&pageSize=30&beginIndex=0&searchType=resultSet&sortBy=savings%2F%2F0&cn1=&searchTerm=air+horn

3. tool amour

tool amour Loaded Pockets

Looks like you have your security all planned.

Now for the backup: identify your bike in some way to make it unique. Engrave your name on the underside of the frame, or on the bottom of the seat post. Write your name on a sheet of Rite in the Rain paper, roll it up, and put it inside the frame under the seat post. Or inside one of the handlebar ends. You'll want to find some non-obvious way to differentiate your bike from any other Fuji like it.

This way, if some cretin does make it through your security, you'll have proof of ownership when the lowlife tries to sell it on Craigslist to get money for drugs.

4. Boy SureFire

The 3M reflective tape idea sounds good, & it would make the bike easier to spot whether it's me, or someone else riding. Right now I've got Amazon & KnifeCenter going in another tab with a list of paper spray OC's should someone try anything while I'm around (hot headed drivers too). I got a bunch of pics of the bike, so I've got proof...I'm not sure if Cali is still doing this, but the bike has a license number sticker on the frame (yeah I know stickers are easy remove). If I can find a way to etch my name onto the bike without damaging it...I'll try my Dremal to see if maybe I can add my name (inconspicuously ) to every part on the bike. BTW what's the best oil to get for the seat?

5. somber

somber Banned

The best lubricant would be Tri-Flow, in my opinion. None better.

6. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

Tri flow is good lube just don't over lube you chain and stuff its very easy to do I tell people that come in to only lube your chain when it makes noise. Velo news actually did a study that lubing you chain does not reduce friction. All it does is make your drivetrain quiet.

7. Boy SureFire

I thought some lock shots from the bike rack would be nice...Just a thought, but will 12LBS of steel resting on the on the outer rim/spoke do any damage? Also I picked up a can of 17% OC pepper spray, so now on to the horn.

[​IMG]
    It was a bit heavy, but that chain pretty well says the bikes going nowhere without me...
    [​IMG]
    Look @ those CR123 battery sized thick links shine...

8. liquidsunshine

liquidsunshine Loaded Pockets

Hi,

consider locking your wheels, saddle, and stem to the frame by replacing fasteners with these:

http://www.pinheadcomponents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&Itemid=57

They are basically coded nuts that come with a special tool that only fits your set. You can't pick them, you could only cut them off with electric tools, which would damage the frame and the components, making the bike useless for selling on the black market. Also makes it unnecessary to lock saddle and wheels separately when you leave your bike.

Cheers,

Matt

9. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

Can't stress enough that you're trying to deter casual crooks; if a pro wants that bike he will get it (e.g., if he knows what he can get for that Brooks saddle on Ebay). Replace the quick release components. Make sure you present the thief with at least two different lock challenges. Unless singularly determined, the crooks will likely move to easier prey. Sadly, it's like running from a bear in the woods--you don't have to be faster than the bear, just faster than the other guy running away too.