1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for tech backpack?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ffeingol, Mar 25, 2020.

1. ffeingol

ffeingol Empty Pockets

I'm looking to get a new backpack for office use. Here is what I normally carry:

• Lenovo Carbon x1 G6 Laptop ( 14" display)
    • Ravpower PD 61w charger
    • A5 size notebook
    • A couple of pens
    • USB-C dongle ( ethernet/cat-5/USB-A)
    • wireless mouse
    • Ethernet cable (10')
    • various cables (usb-c/usb-c, usb-a/usb-c, usb-a, micro-usb etc.)
    • lunch/water bottle
    I'd like to to be relatively compact, but not so compact that I can't add things when needed (i.e. a stuff a light rain jacket in when needed etc.).

I've been looking at things like a Tom Bihn Synapse 19 and Aer Day Pack 2. The Aer scares me a little as I'm used to outside pockets. I currently have a eBags pro (slim I think) laptop backpack. I don't need the big area at the bottom of it (it's for a power supply, but mine is now tiny).

Thanks for any/all suggestions

2. tdosthp

tdosthp Loaded Pockets

Check out the Fjallraven Raven backpack. It is at the top of my all-time favorite bags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. ffeingol

ffeingol Empty Pockets

Hello,

Thanks for the Fjallraven suggestion, but that's a bit too basic for me. I really like things like pen loops/holders, pockets etc. I do my best to keep my bag organized and those kinds of things help me.

4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

You might want to visit Nick Shabazz' channel on YouTube. He is known for being a very thorough reviewer.

Although he mostly reviews knives, he also does reviews on pens, briefcases, and backpacks. He is some sort of tech himself. I recall he did a pretty thorough review of a pack at some point a few months ago (don't hold me to the 'few months'!) that he really liked -- it was one of those that the main compartment can open completely when the pack is lying flat... Sorry I don't recall the pack name.

Am Yisrael Chai!

Moshe ben David

5. tdosthp

tdosthp Loaded Pockets

You are welcome, BUT the Raven has everything you listed. It has numerous pockets, with zippers, pen slots, etc. and water bottle pockets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. ffeingol

ffeingol Empty Pockets

Thanks for the correction on the Fjallraven. Most of the sites I looked at had no interior pictures etc. I was able to find some review videos that showed the pockets etc.

7. Katjang1

Katjang1 Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the Maxpedition Riftcore. It has pockets, pen slots etc except for the bottle pockets. But it has MOLLE/ PALS attachment point to attach any pouch you like.

8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Synapse is an amazing pack and unless you are looking for Tactical more than just Practical it is hard to imagine anything better!

I have had one since they first came out and there was only one size,what is now known as the 19 and despite the fact that it is a little silly looking on me for being too small it is much bigger in use than it looks.
    The organization is what really sets it apart for me as you have quick access to everything as the pockets are distributed though the inside and outside so that it keeps the digging around for things that need quickly to a minimum for as much as it holds.

I have traveled with mine in all settings and used it as a camera bag,tech bag,tool bag,installation bag and grocery bag and it works well for all of those things and looks inconspicuous too while doing it.

I also buy many bags on Ebay where I can get one so much cheaper than new which is by far my preference.

I got rid of mine a few years ago and got the 25 to replace it and there is just everything about the 19 to like and added space too!

They also now offer the same basic bag but with a seperate computer compartment and though I have not seen one in person yet I am sure it is a great bag too.

9. ffeingol

ffeingol Empty Pockets

Yea, not really looking for Tactical.

My biggest issue with Tom Bihn is the cost. The Synapse 19 (or a larger one) does not have a dedicated space for my laptop so it ends up being $200 + 45 for the cache. It also looks like it might be clunky with the cache. They Synik solves that problem, but then you're up to $290 or $300. I appreciate the MIUSA, lifetime warranty etc., but that's a lot of money for a bag.

I've been looking at the Evergoods Civic Half Zip 22L or (newcomer?) Xactly Oxygen 25. The Civic has pocket in the main area while the Oxygen has a dedicated laptop area. They are also a bit more reasonable at $159.

Anyone have experience with either of these bags?

echo victor likes this.
  10. echo victor
    • +2 Supporter

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

ffeingol,

Have you looked at Ogio? I've never owned one, but I've seen a fair number of corporate warriors using them. They look well-made and I've considered buying one, but I've settled on the shoulder-slung briefcase type of bag

Another brand that comes to mind is Swiss Army, which is another that I see many corporate travelers using. One noteworthy feature with this brand is the braided steel cable that is encased within the top grab-handle.

Just a thought; good luck with your search!

11. rodia77

rodia77 Loaded Pockets

echo victor likes this.
  12. Questionablesanity

Questionablesanity Loaded Pockets

I've also been looking for a low key tech bag. I've decided to go with the Everki Atlas. I went back and forth between the Ogio Renegade and the Everki but after reading every review I could I decided the Everki seemed like it was better made.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13. Tuxedo

Tuxedo Loaded Pockets

Bellroy Apex is THE hot :censored: right now, however seems to be already sold out...