1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

suggestions for lightweight, slimmer-fitting tac pants

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by wordfool, Jun 13, 2010.

1. wordfool

wordfool Loaded Pockets

Hello everyone!

I'm hoping to get some suggestions for lightweight tactical pants for an upcoming trip to Haiti (hot, humid, grungy environment), preferably pants that have a cut more suited to the skinnier amongst us.

I've trawled the various pants-related threads here but have not found much in the way of information about how various brands of tac pants are cut. I'm tall and slim, and most pants seem to be cut for chunkier guys, with a huge amount of surplus fabric up top and legs so baggy that they sometimes catch on stuff. I understand that the gusseted designs will result in slightly more fabric in the crotch area, but I'd still rather not look like I'm wearing a deflated balloon! I'm also not planning to ankle carry or need to pull these on over boots so wide, flappy leg openings are not necessary.

I have tried Propper BDUs, but I apparently fall between their S and M sizes, so have never got a decent fit. I have also tried the Tru-Spec 24/7 pants, but they are on the hot and baggy side so not my preferred choice for a tropical environment. Lightweight fabric, preferably ripstop and perferably with some synthetic content would be my preference.

Any suggestions appreciated. And if anyone can comment on the fit of these other contenders I've been looking at, I'd also appreciate it:

5.11 Taclite Pro
    Eotac lightweight
    Railriders
    Vertx (although they're probably too heavy-weight)
    TAD Gear Force 10 and F10 Spartan

2. marsos52

marsos52 Loaded Pockets

i not a expert or have experience with all the tactile brands and models ...what i do want to explain is that tactile pants wouldnt be tactile pants if they were cut as a slim pant.. these pants are made of ease of movement and to be able to conceal things are have of your person..

i have only used vertx and there great for me.. i cant be sure if there are to heavy for where you are going to be....maybe instead of a pure tactile pant you may look into sometime like the columbia pants. very light weight and a slimmer style and roomy kinda pockets

3. gambit21

gambit21 Loaded Pockets

check out these guys: http://www.krukspec.com/index.php and

http://www.filairsoft.com/ = this is a Philippine airsoft forum, and go to the pages of the sponsoring shops. you can see their logos near the top of the page.

the Philippines being a tropical country, they use lighter fabric, and the sizes are slimmer. i know what you mean about the branded tacpants. i love my blackhawk tac pants but wearing them outdoors, i can actually feel the sweat on my knees.

good luck!

4. saniterra

saniterra Loaded Pockets

I don't think you're goint to find slim fit tactical pants. A lot of companies make cargo pants of light-weight material for hiking and similar uses, but they are not close fitting. Other companies make light weight tactical pants, the 60-40 cloth, like 5:11, but they are not close fitting either. Looks to me like your best shot is a pair of Levi's.

5. wordfool

wordfool Loaded Pockets

Sorry for the misunderstanding... I'm not looking for "slim fit" pants, just those tactical pants that might have a less "full" cut than others and therefore perhaps hang better on skinny people. I know some have a tapered leg, for example, as opposed to boot cut (straight leg) and I've heard some are cut a *little* slimmer than others overall (I just don't know which brands). But ultimately I know tactical pants are the shape they are for freedom of movement.

Thanks for the krukspec link gambit... I'll check them out.

6. VinnyP
    • In Omnia Paratus

VinnyP Loaded Pockets

I think they all seem to fit about the same. From your list I have the vertx (Lighter than some heavy weight but too heavy for tropics) and 5.11. I'd definitely loook at Blackhawk over the 5.11. We get 5.11(lightweight and classic) for free but spend our own money on the Blackhawk. Their pants overall have some nice touches but the lightweight are very well designed indeed. For really hot weather though I'd go for a dedicated technical pant preferably convertable. For me I like Rohan and Craghoppers (Nosquito not the Kiwi range) but I don't know how available they are in the US.

7. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Man those are real nice( krukspec) ! In your experience, hows the shipping to the lower 48's, lets say Las Vegas ? Also expect a PM about your iPad custom bag soon ,)

BE WELL .. GH

8. elad96

elad96 Loaded Pockets

try LA Police Gear they have good light weight BDU pants 60% cotton 40% poly,I have 2 pair for work pants.I drive a delivery truck in texas.And had similar requirements for pants.

9. Techna

Techna Empty Pockets

Are there shops in the UK that carry the Craghopper line? I am leaving for London on Thursday and will be there for the week. It would be great to try on and bring back some of the Noslife Cargo Shorts.

10. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Craghoppers are a British company.

There's 10 stockists listed for Central London, all of which should be easily found on various tube lines. As for actual stock, probs best to fire off some emails to each of them and see who has the trousers you're after.

If you go to the Craghoppers website and look at the bottom of the page there's a "stockists" link.

Hope this helps?

Mark

11. Techna

Techna Empty Pockets

Thanks Mark but when I go to craghoppers.com or the link provided in the post, it redirects me to the the U.S. site/on line store. That site does not show "stockists", nor have I found out how to access the UK site. I tried pulling ".us" out of http://www.us.craghoppers.com/, with no luck. Time for google-fu sparring session I think.

12. jehan60188

jehan60188 Loaded Pockets

so, what you're saying is you need tactical pants designed for SWAT officers that are in high stakes situations that require flip flops?
    if only I could find that "tactical capris" topic...

edit:
    http://edcforums.com/showthread.php/70017-Kitanica-Clothing
    sadly, they've discontinued the capris

13. wordfool

wordfool Loaded Pockets

Huh? Who said anything about flip flops? I'll be clambering around grungy refugee camps wearing boots taking photos while avoiding the malaria and dengue mosquitoes and assorted pickpockets.

One previous pair of BDU's I wore in similar circumstances were so baggy in the leg that the pockets and legs caught on stuff with alarming regularity. Hence my desire to see if there's anything out there with *slightly* less surplus fabric.

14. aphex2k

aphex2k Loaded Pockets

Techna, sent you a PM with the London stockists.

15. jehan60188

16. ammoriso

ammoriso Loaded Pockets

I am also in the tall and thin range and I find the Railriders Versatac Lightweight to be about the best out there. I also own 5.11 and some REI Sahara convertible pants, but the Versatac lightweights are my favorite. Railriders offers tall sizes in a few styles, so you won't have to order a larger size than necessary to ensure enough inseam. Highly recommended.

17. OccamsRazor

OccamsRazor Empty Pockets

TAD Spartan and Legionnaire fit

I have the TAD Spartans and the Legionnaire cargo's. These are by far the slimmest fitting pants they make. The Force 10 rip stop cargo's and the twill cargo's are cut pretty full in the leg. Im 6', and weigh about 165. My legs were swimming in these pants. I have fairly thin legs as it is, not freakishly thin, but the Spartans fit just about perfect. The Legionnaire's have a bit fuller leg, but mot drastically. Once I washed/dried them, they fit perfect. Great pants

18. jehan60188

so, that's a 'no' on tactical capris?
    maybe you could start eating more protein, and working out. do a few squats, and cleans?