1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for a good water bottle that's inexpensive?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by David L. Holt, Apr 10, 2013.

1. scooterbird

scooterbird Loaded Pockets

I use a simple, 24 oz. Embark stainless steel bottle with a carabiner on the cap - the type you might find at a CVS Pharmacy. I clip it to my bag and sometimes bungie it down to prevent it from rattling about. Fits in my car's cup holder, or I just toss it over my shoulder into the backseat until I fill it again. I prefer my water as close to ice-cold as possible; plastic bottles, even more expensive ones with freezable inserts, just simply didn't do it for me.

2. armedtetrapod

armedtetrapod Loaded Pockets

+1 on nalgene!

3. mooshi
    • In Omnia Paratus

mooshi Loaded Pockets

Used a Camelbak Better Bottle (16 ounce) for a good 6 years. But that one did leak a little if it got tossed around - I think the newer Eddy model is supposed to have fixed that.

However, I just picked up a stainless steel Contigo from Costco (2-pack for $19.99; 22 ounce capacity) for myself and my brother to replace our Camelbaks. So far so good! And it keeps our drinks icy cold all day. :D

4. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

Yeah, a Costco bottled water bottle. I refill them a few times during the day and toss them. The cost of a bottle of water from Costco is a dime. I use them or their one liter brothers on my bike in my packs, etc. I've given up on the Nalgenes and the like.

5. MedicInTraining
    • In Omnia Paratus

MedicInTraining Loaded Pockets

I use a Kathmandu Loop Bottle with a spill guard and I absolutely love it! Never will I buy another bottle (or at least not a Nalgene without a Spill Guard) it's such a great design and very ergonomic :3 And I got it for $12 lol

xtrajack likes this.
  6. pelicularities
    • In Omnia Paratus

pelicularities Loaded Pockets

I use a 20oz insulated Klean Kanteen. It was an impulse buy, but I'm definitely a fan now; this bottle is as close to perfect as I can imagine. It should fit fine in a cup holder. I didn't go for the sport cap because it looked like it would attract lint but the wide-mouth opening is a pleasure to drink from. I love that I can use it with both hot and cold liquids (without condensation).

Before that I used a Camelbak Groove bottle with a filter, and before that a SIGG 1L bottle, and before that a Nalgene OTF. The Camelbak Groove works great if you're just drinking water, especially if you can't easily get access to filtered water, but I doubt it's leak proof (I hook my water bottle off a bag strap so I've never had it leak in my bag). The SIGG is a pain to clean, gets dented easily, and since it's single-layered, becomes hot or cold to the touch depending on what you put in it. The Nalgene OTF worked well and never leaked but for some reason it got dirty on the inside really quick.

7. Betcd

Betcd Loaded Pockets

Go into the camping section in Walmart they have them for 5 bucks

8. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

9. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

Am I the only one that uses the gatorade 20 oz size bottles? They're rugged and cheap and come pre-filled with Gatorade. They fit easily in a cup holder, and the wide spout is big enough to accept ice cubes. And if it's lost, stolen, or damaged you won't be butthurt about losing a nice bottle.

10. Mike R

Mike R Loaded Pockets

This is my main solution. I've found some stainless bottles made by California Innovations that work well. I think they're part of a lunch box set. Big enough opening to get ice in, small enough to drink from. You have to unscrew them to drink, but they don't leak in a backpack, stroller, etc. They fit in the cup holders I've tried, although I don't usually use them that way.

I've got a Kleen Kanteen that I really like, too, but I bought it new so I always grab the 74ยข thrift store bottles first. This is my choice if you're buying new.

I do this, too.

MIke

11. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

If you have a Lowe's, look for a Stainless Steel bottle branded Sub-Zero. I have used one for years and it was a couple of bucks. No plastic left on the bottle when the lid comes off if you ever need to boil water in it.

12. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

One word of wisdom with the sub zeros....get some "handi strip" and remove the clear coat from the exterior.

I have seen them both ways....hold a lighter up to it for a minute...if it bubbles...it has clear coat.

Great bottle though...I carry one....I know CSM-101 carries one...my brother and SIL both have one each I got them for Christmas.

13. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

Goodwill scores....most I've paid was $0.95

[​IMG]

I've given away a bunch of stainless steel ones to Scouts and such.....the aluminum ones I change out the "O" ring and use it for fuel alcohol.

14. Skunk Ape

Skunk Ape Loaded Pockets

Interesting. Mine has no coating. It is a few years old. Maybe they changed?

15. stargazin

stargazin Loaded Pockets

Gyuot designs 32 oz stainless. Tapered bottom to fit car cup holder. You won't break it. Put a plastic Black diamond our Nite Ize S clip on it. Good to go. I carry this, and the 40 oz version and the 40 oz Kleen Kanteen bottles.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

16. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

I've re-filled Gatorade bottles in a pinch, but the plastic is soaked with Gatorade, making it more prone to bacteria growth. (It's the same reason why you shouldn't recycle milk jugs for potable water).

I also try not to drink Gatorade regularly - it's mostly sugar water and empty calories and unless I've been sweating a lot, it doesn't anything for me that regular water wouldn't.

17. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I agree....cap cap is tops. I loose too many of those inserts.

[​IMG]
    DSCF4242 by mumbojumboo, on Flickr

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not to mention, it's easy to put on and take off a CapCap with dirty hands.

With inserts, not so much.

19. subrosa

subrosa Loaded Pockets

20. Slipjoint

Slipjoint Loaded Pockets

I rinse mine out with hot water and dishsoap, which appears to do the job nicely. I re-use water and soda bottles too, but gatorade is one of the wide-mouthed bottles that's easy to find which is why I prefer them.

As far as the nutritional value of gatorade is concerned, I don't drink it often, but I will occasionally get them when warm weather rolls around. Then I'll rinse out the bottles and let them dry. When I need one, I'll just fill it up and go.

Works for me!

tmedina likes this.