1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for a good water bottle that's inexpensive?

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by David L. Holt, Apr 10, 2013.

1. David L. Holt

David L. Holt Loaded Pockets

So, I don't ever drink enough water, but I need to work on that. Anyone have a suggestion for a good, light, durable, leak-proof water bottle? I need something that can be stored upside down without leaking if I forget about it and it rolls around in my car. I also need something fairly cheap since I expect to lose it at least once (I've never carried one), and light. Also, I need it to fit in a cup holder. Thanks.

2. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

Have you seen the silicon inserts they have for wide mouth nalgenes? They seat right in the opening and restrict the flow to a very manageable amount. They're a couple bucks at EMS or you local flavor of mountaineering/outdoors store. For cheapness/value it's hard to beat the virtually indestructible, lightweight, leakproof, 32 oz. capacity nalgene.

3. Jason Kasper

Jason Kasper Loaded Pockets

I have never found a leak-proof straw bottle. I've tried several generations of CamelBaks and another brand whose name escapes me that I picked up from Barnes and Noble. And every one of them have leaked in my bag. I've given up on straw-based drinking systems and now use my old CamelBak bottle with a CapCap. I would love to be proved wrong however!

4. batteur
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

batteur Loaded Pockets

I use a Nalgene 1l (32oz) narrow mouth for most of the time, and a Nalgene OTF for work (fits in most of the wider car cup holders). Both didn’t leak until now. The OTF has no straw but is one-hand operated and locks (although you need to press on it a bit).
    I don’t know more than what’s on the product pages, but how about a Nalgene MultiDrink?

5. Caveman
    • In Omnia Paratus

Caveman Loaded Pockets

I have started to carry a soda stream bottle.
    No straw, think 16oz water bottle but heavy duty.
    This is lite compared to the stainless bottle I have.

6. Redboy

Redboy Loaded Pockets

Check out the stainless bottles from Klean Kanteen - they have several styles and sizes. I've been carrying one of the 18oz "classic" bottles and it is one of my favorite things. Skip the ubiquitous cheap and inferior knock-offs and get the real deal. You'll love it!

7. TrickyVic

TrickyVic Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of the Thermos stainless insulated bottles. I use a 16oz for coffee/tea and a 24oz for water everyday. Both are very easy to drink from one-handed and keep liquids cold/hot for hours. They range from $15-$25 depending on size.

Mighty Max and emcdannell like this.
  8. David L. Holt

David L. Holt Loaded Pockets

So, I can live with a jar style, but I need one that fits in a cup holder. Leaning toward the Klean Kanteen, but amazon doesn't have the right lid/size combination with free shipping.

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  9. MarkNM
    • In Omnia Paratus

MarkNM Loaded Pockets

I'd go with a slim Nalgene not a fan of metal and water but that's just me

10. steel_6

steel_6 Loaded Pockets

I never liked the straw type offerings such as the Camelbak ones. I like to toss bottles into a bag and forget about them, and I use bottles in some pretty unforgiving environments, those straws would collect a lot of dirt/mud/sand, etc. that I wouldn't want between my lips and the sweet nectar inside the bottle.

11. patrat

patrat Loaded Pockets

Also hard to clean. Not a fan either.

12. Red Horn

Red Horn Loaded Pockets

I second that! Got a forest green 40 with 3.0 spout sittin on my desk right now :~)

Their 27 oz is my choice for "on the go". Get one with either loop top cap or 3.0 and then score the other cap on it's own and you will have a nice little bottle system. I will never go back to plastic.

Darth_Firebolt likes this.
  13. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

Cheap... I'd say a 32oz nalgene with a humangear cap cap

bull_paqqy, nightowl and Echo2 like this.
  14. cataylor

cataylor Loaded Pockets

15. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

Goodwill....average....$0.95....:)....I have about 20 of them.

16. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

This is good too.

17. Daniel Buckner

Daniel Buckner Loaded Pockets

Unless I have need for something really lightweight for backpacking, I go with Nalgene's everyday line. I use the wide mouth 32 oz with a silicone insert and just lay the bottle in the passenger seat of the car. To fit in a cup holder, I'd go with the wide mouth 16oz nalgene, though they do also make small-necked bottles in eiher 32 or 16oz. I like the everyday Nalgene's because they don't dent or crack when dropped. Cheaper brands Ive tried don't tend to hold up well in plastic. I've never had a leak with the Nalgene bottles. They're good in the dishwasher and are easy to clean.

MarkNM likes this.
  18. GG_Blaisdell

GG_Blaisdell Loaded Pockets

• hot linked image removed
    [​IMG]
    Only problem is fitting into your cup holders...

Brandon_4078 likes this.
  19. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

I had a Camelbak Better Bottle, which worked pretty well; it would occasionally leak a bit if not upright. The Love O' My Life, um, adopted it, so I replaced it with a Camelbak Eddy, which is very similar but uses a much larger straw, so it's easier to drink from. It's also insulated, so my water stays cold, and fits in the cup holder in my truck. The Eddy seals better than the Better Bottle, it hasn't leaked a drop yet, regardless of orientation. It's also pretty dang tough; I accidentally dropped mine, half full of water, off a balcony onto a driveway about 20 feet below; it landed on the edge of the lids, and other than a scuff mark, it's still good as new.

20. Tixx

Tixx Loaded Pockets

Just do a 16oz small mouth nalgene. They fit and no insert needed.