1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for a compact conceal carry semi-automatic

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by cjrodge34, Sep 14, 2011.

1. cjrodge34

cjrodge34 Empty Pockets

I'm going to apply for a conceal carry license. This means that I will probably downsize from my current .40 Glock 22C model. Right now, I'm considering the compact Glock 23 model. Does anyone here EDC this model? Or perhaps, someone can recommend another comparable EDC compact.

2. SSol

SSol Loaded Pockets

I understand you wanting to stick with a 40 cal but I personally carry a Glock 26 with the 10 round magazine in the weapon and two backup mags with 15 rounds (I use a magazine adapter purely for cosmetics, its really not necessary).

My thinking is that the Glock 26 is extremely light meaning I'll carry it all the time, the 10 rounds of 9mm is an issue but I'm currently using Hornady Critical Defense at 115 grains. Its light I know but I'm a bit concerned about over penetration and everything I've seen shows that it expands well even against denim....another benefit of the Hornady is that its extremely controllable even in a small gun like the G26.

Just my two cents. But lucky for you there are a ton of small sized guns on the market, I just like keeping everything standardized and the 9mm Glocks do that for me.

3. cjrodge34

cjrodge34 Empty Pockets

SSol, thanks for sharing. Now, I'm really considering a 9mm for edc. I think that the G26 is a very good choice, and personally wouldn't be overly concerned with the lack of knockdown power. My only problem is the subcompact size. My hands hang off of the grip. Having said that, I'm going to look into the G19!

4. ssmtbracer

ssmtbracer EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have the G26 and 19 and they both shoot pretty much the same. Even with the shorter grip. There are pros and cons 26 10+1 19 15+1 but the 26 is so small and easy to conceal.

5. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

A .40 Glock can shoot 9 mm by changing a few parts, I would get a .40 as it is more versatile.

6. rhazkhal

rhazkhal Loaded Pockets

7. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

Glock model 19. It's only 1/2" longer, and taller than the 26. 15 round clip in the 19, 10 round in the 26. Whatever you choose, add night sights. I have XS Big Dots on my 19, and I love them; just dot the I!

8. edcer

edcer Loaded Pockets

They do make grip extenders;
    "A&G Grip Extenders are high impact polymer collars which slip over full size magazines.
    When full sized magazines are used with mini Glocks the A&G Grip Extension fill the gap between the bottom of the gun and the base of the magazine.
    "
    I am thinking of getting a G27 for AIWB carry and using something like this. The advantage would be the shorter barrel will not dig into me when seated like a model with a longer barrel can.

[​IMG]

9. luckyadjustments

luckyadjustments Loaded Pockets

Check out Kahr Arms. I have a PM 40 and have ran approximately 3000 rounds through it without a problem after the break in period. I have nothing against glocks, its just that the kahr is not as thick as the glocks. They are somewhat pricey but that shouldn't matter if its what you are trusting your life with. Alternative the CM9 is less expensive. http://www.kahr.com/Kahr-Pistols-Parts/Kahr-Products.asp

10. TIREdMAN

TIREdMAN Loaded Pockets

kimber solo carry 9mm slim and sleek, also like the kahr p40. budget friendly kel tech pf9 ugly but reliable.

11. compy222

compy222 Loaded Pockets

this might be true, but its way easier (a barrel swap) to shot .357/.40 interchangeable. the mags are even identical. i don't like the recoil of the G27 though. i have the G33 and love it...it has a lot of felt recoil too, but the stopping power is great.

12. hksigman

hksigman Empty Pockets

i have the Kahr K-40 and HK p-2000sk
    both excellent weapons
    as others suggested since you have glock, get the 27 .40 cal....

13. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

In the past, I owned the 19, 23, and 27. They are all fine concealed carry weapons. Honestly, with a good holster, I found it just as easy to carry the 19 or 23 as opposed to the 27. I also liked the feel of the 19 and 23 better. I will probably get another Glock in the not to distant future and will probably end up with another 19. I wouldn't feel underpowered with any of the major manufacturer's 9mm self-defense loads available today.

14. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

I carry my Glock 22 concealed and love it.

I was also looking at going the same route as the OP.

looked at the G26 and it just didn't feel right. You can get a Pearce grip extension. But as wolvee mentions the "thickness" was a deal breaker for me. If you can conceal a Subcompact, concealing a full sized glock isn't that much of a stretch.
    At any rate, try carrying that full sized handgun concealed.... and look into a MIC holster for your G22.
    (not my video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynmy-0oW_UM

On a lark, I decided to look at the S&W M&P 9 Compact.

It fit well in the hand, and was a near natural pointer (just like my glock). I liked the sights better than the G22, and it comes with a magazine that has a finger ramp. Accuracy of the 9mm, is on par with the G22.

I still prefer the full sized glock, but take a look at the smith and wesson M&P 9 Compact.

CONS:
    -The trigger reset sucks on the Smith and Wesson. I'm told the reset smooths out with time, but it's certainly not like my G22.
    -There is aggressive texturing near the middle finger by the magazine release.

PROS:
    -pointability
    -ergonomics

Pics to follow, PM or reply with any questions.
    Good Luck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. backfist

backfist Loaded Pockets

Glock 19 in a Raven. Word...

16. cjrodge34

cjrodge34 Empty Pockets

I checked out Kahr Arms and they are very cool, but a little outside of my price range at the moment. I'm going to upgrade my G22 w/ night sights and try out the MIC holster.

17. runcible68

runcible68 Loaded Pockets

Might I suggest a Glock 36? I've been CCW'ing one for five years. It's has a slim frame and hides in an IWB rather well. The recoil is surprisingly mild for a small gun chambered in .45 ACP. Just my 2 cents.

18. Sloman

Sloman Loaded Pockets

G26 but if grip too thick, look into a Sig P290

19. rocketdog

rocketdog Loaded Pockets

I second the S&W M&P Compact. I have the .40 and love the way it feels in my hand. It comes with 3 interchangeable backstraps that give you some adjustability to the grip. My CC instructor (A Glock armorer) carries one and highly recommended it for several reasons, including the fact that some police departments are using the full-size model which I believe is a pretty strong endorsement (if it's good enough for them...) A few hundred rounds through mine so far and completely flawless, although it is a little "thick" for IWB carry in my opinion. With different clothing or a different body it might not be an issue. BTW, I have nothing against Glocks, except they're kinda ugly ;)

20. SR-71

SR-71 Loaded Pockets

:thumbsup:Seems some of us really do share the same thoughts! I'm another G19 & G26 owner. I carry depending on the attire. Good ammo and sights. Practice, practice, practice! :thumbsup: