1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Suggest Contents for Small Urban EDC Bag

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by Matt Shepard, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Matt Shepard

Matt Shepard Loaded Pockets

I just grabbed a very affordable and quite small sling bag from a very popular shopping site. I know there are some very rugged and reliable bags out there and thought that if I can get used to carrying this affordable bag then I can justify (to the wife) that I need something more.

My thoughts were to use it for something I can grab and toss in the car every day. The dimensions according to the site are: 11" x 7.8" x 3.9" (L x H x Thickness)

As it is fairly small, I'm really trying to maximize what I can carry in this little guy. I'm reworking one of my first aid kits to carry the essentials and I'll have a small pad and pen in there. The only other thing I can think of is a small burp cloth for when our almost 5 month old girl is out with me. We carry a diaper bag as well but those little cloths are invaluable.

What else should I be looking to carry every day? Please point me in the direction of something that will come in handy!

Please keep in mind that on my person I carry a couple folders, sometimes a fixed, handgun, spare mag, and flashlight.

Also, I already have a bag I use for hiking that has the essentials in it so I'm covered there...I think.

2. Cheeser
    • In Omnia Paratus

Cheeser Hey Bub!

What it comes down to isn't what we suggest, our needs are different. What do you reach for often enough to need to carry?

F-Bobby, Water-Rat, Kilted1 and 3 others like this.
  3. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

My thought exactly.

I guess I have to ask why you think you need this really if you don't have anything you need it to carry ?

4. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Kleenex (I like the small pocket sized packs) are a commonly used item...

$5 in quarters...

Hand sanitizer...

OTC meds...

From here I'll mirror the above posts and say that it depends on your individual needs.

Might try what I did a few years back and add each item that I'm needing or asked for.

I've found that by doing that for a few months I ended up with almost everything I'll need on hand.

[​IMG]

Water-Rat, tmedina and Matt Shepard like this.
  5. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Loaded Pockets

A flashlight with spare set or 2 of batteries. We all know that dark WILL happen every day. If you are a handy person and will be carrying tools, a headlamp is suggested.

A small first aid kit, mostly cleansing wipes and bandages for minor "everyday" injuries like paper cuts. Don't over do it. Unless you are trained/certified to perform advanced first aid, don't carry the supplies for it.

tmedina and Matt Shepard like this.
  6. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

As said, tissues and hand sanitiser,

Small torch - fenix EO1 size. Battery lasts forever.

Spare dummy (pacifier) if you use those for your little girl?

If it's more for you, before you carry it, just carry a pad and pen for now. Every time you need an item and don't have it to hand, write it down. After a month maybe, shop shop shop for those items!

7. Matt Shepard

I really don't reach for much when I'm out. I'm just trying to cover the bases of common things to have...just in case.
    Thanks for getting me to think more on that!

I can see your point and that's really why I haven't carried one yet. I'm really just trying to up my level of preparedness. Thanks!

Hand sanitizer is a great idea! I like the quarters as well. My first aid kit has common OTC items already so I'm covered there. I'll definitely start adding things once I get this bag in to use. Thank you!

I'll throw one of my less used flashlights in there with a couple of batteries and will add a set of wipes to my FA kit. My first aid set up is pretty basic as I've had only minimal training. Thanks for the tips!

Definitely adding another flashlight as I carry one on my person already. I'll add a pacifier as well even though she seems to be getting out of the habit of using them. I'm sure she will thank you should she ever need one. I'll use the tip as well about writing down everything I realize I need and don't have. Thanks so much!

Tristar777 and JHGM like this.
  8. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

I carried a backpack to work for the last year and now a backpack to school, so I've had some time to think about it. I carry snacks, a small thing of tissues, hand sanitizer, my leatherman (and bits and bit extender), duct tape (packaged in a minimal way), headphones, extra flashlight, extra battery, miniHDMI to HDMI converter for my laptop, inCharge Bolt phone charger, spare car key, napkins, small first aid kit, plastic bags from a grocery store (I use those for everything), titanium fork/spoon tool for eating, leather pen bag I made for pens, pens, cough drops (because sick right now - I don't always carry them), scarf, hat, gloves, medium legal notepad, usually a spare knife, too. I think that is most of the list. Most of that either gets used everyday or is light enough that I don't mind carrying it because when it comes in handy, it is really nice to have. I have a three year old, so it gets used for him, too, when I take him places and have the backpack (park, hiking, stuff like that).

9. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

Bag is for tier two. Bigger light. Back up batteries. Heavy multitool. A bandanna or two. A few small organizers. One with Band-Aids, NSAIDS, ointment, duct tape, guaze. Other with ear buds, charging cables, backup batt, screen wipes. Sunglasses. Lighter. OPINEL or similar for food duty.

More to come...

Water-Rat, Matt Shepard and ManVsLawn like this.
  10. Matt Shepard

Earbuds! I also need to get a titanium spork and start to find a handy way to carry a small amount of duct tape. This is also a good reason to pick up a quality multitool. Thanks for sharing! I'm sure I'll check back and re-look over your list to see what else I can glean.

I'll have to add a couple more bandannas to keep in my bag. I keep one on me as a handkerchief but I'm sure I can find other uses for them. I can keep my Opinel in there as well. Thanks very much for sharing!

Last edited by Matt Shepard, Jan 28, 2016
    Water-Rat likes this.
  11. Matt Shepard

While I'm thinking about it, do any of you wrap your hand sanitizer in Gorilla Tape or something to stop it from being punctured? How do you carry it in your bags?

12. FeeSimpleAbsolute

FeeSimpleAbsolute Loaded Pockets

I just bought one of those small travel bottles. Wrapping it in tape is a pretty good idea, though.

Normally, I carry tape wrapped around bits of a plastic straw with a paperclip through holes in the straw so that it will sit on a keychain. Then I hang the keychain from one of the hooks in the front pocket in my backpack along with the bit holders and mini-Sharpie and stuff.

Matt Shepard likes this.
  13. C.Boland93
    • In Omnia Paratus

C.Boland93 Loaded Pockets

Ziploc bags for liquids is what I tend to use. Maybe not prevention but it stops it going anywhere.

Tape is a good idea but I like to see the level of what I have left.

Sent from Catherine's iPhone using Tapatalk.

14. Tru7h

Tru7h Loaded Pockets

Electrical tape
    small zip ties
    a multitool
    light, extra batteries
    a water container
    floss (ever get stuck without that when you REALLY want it?!)
    basic meds in a container (ibuprofin or whatever you like for pain/headaches, chapstick)
    battery and cable for charging mobile devices
    superglue (in a good container like the Gorilla Gule superglues)
    a lighter
    a small wallet with change and all your 'extra' cards like your library card, sams membership...
    Paper clips (amazing how often those are useful)
    a ResQMe tool as a zipper pull
    Writing tools: sharpie, sharpie marker, pen, pencil

15. Matt Shepard

That's a cool tip about the bits of a plastic straw with tape. I'll try that quite soon. I just did the "old gift card with duct tape wrapped around it" trick to keep in my bag for now. Thanks for the tips!

I taped the hand sanitizer for now as it is a full bottle but I definitely understand wanting to be able to check the level. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the list! I really like the small zip ties (need to pick up some shorties) and wallet with all the extra cards in it. I'll be sure to keep some paper clips and a small bag with a few writing utensils in it as well. I'll have to google what a ResQMe is because I'm not familiar with it. Oh and need to pick up some quality superglue as well.

Thanks so much!

16. jemhouston

jemhouston Loaded Pockets

Add in a fold able plastic covered map of your city. Flashlight, small radio, extra batteries, OTC meds, extra change, snacks, and small tool kit.

Matt Shepard likes this.
  17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Baby wipes because, well, baby. But also a great general personal cleaning tool.

Collapsible water bottle for immediate water storage.

Matt Shepard likes this.
  18. Kilted1

Kilted1 Loaded Pockets

Everything I was thinking, has already been said. Light, multitool, wet wipes, FAK, pad & pen... Lots of good ideas in this thread.

Maybe some cordage. Paracord or even just a bit of twine can be a huge help in a jam.

I've never had a bottle of hand sanitizer get punctured so never thought about ruggedizing with tape. I have had a cap fail and leak all over.

Duck tape doesn't need anything special to wrap it on, whether flat pack or a roll, you can just fold it back on itself and go from there. Sometimes I get fancy with it and use a strip of waxed paper down the center with 1/4 inch or so exposed on each edge. It takes a bit of work but makes for easier dispensing.

Normally it's a good idea to get your gear together first and then decide on what bag can hold it all. But that will come later once you have your kit and want a better bag to tote it in.

Matt Shepard and Water-Rat like this.
  19. Water-Rat

Water-Rat Loaded Pockets

Another way to do that is to break apart a cheap pen, remove the innards, and cut it down so it's the size of the width of your tape. Then insert a bit of paracord or other cordage. Then you can use the cordage or a split ring through the cordage to attach it to a zipper pull.

You could also take a pen and wrap in tape, with the right kind of pen, this would give you a clip for your tape roll. An old member around here named Gnarly had the idea to wrap a pencil in various kinds of tape. You get tape and a writing utensil too.

I've used both of the above methods, but I find that wrapping around an old gift card works best for my taste.

As far as everything else goes, I don't know what you need. It's all about seeing what you use and filling the bag with spares.

One thing I would suggest is something to help pass the time. Often you might have to wait in a line. You might want to carry such items for others in your family as well. A few toys for the little one, a book, whatever electrical devices you carry, a small ball (tennis ball, stress ball, rubber ball etc.), begleri, other fidget type toys.

Matt Shepard likes this.
  20. Matt Shepard

Thanks for the tip about the foldable, plastic city map...I'm about to throw that in now. I'll be on the lookout for a quality, small radio for the future. Thanks again!

Baby wipes should have been a no brainer for me but sadly enough, I hadn't yet thought of it...a couple of you helpful people did though! I'm looking at various collapsible water bottles that will hold up to use. If you have any suggestions, please share. Thank you for the advice!

There have been lots of great recommendations so far. I like the paracord idea but I'm going to need to do some research on what a handy amount is and a good way to keep the size down. I'll be sure to try some of your storage methods for duct tape after my little gift card idea starts to run out. Thank you kindly!

Thanks so much for sharing more ways to carry duct tape. I'm sure they will come handy in the future. I've been scratching my head as to how much redundancy in carrying backups I should go? (That sentence doesn't make sense but I can't think of a better way to phrase it.) I'd love to have 2 back ups of everything...knives, lights, pens, etc. but unfortunately spacing constraints come in. Oh well, that's why I have you find people here.

Outstanding advice on the toys for both the kiddo and me. I have been looking in to making a begleri. I know my wife would use one, she can't stop fidgeting. I'll be sure to look in to other fidget toys as well.

Thank you again!

Water-Rat likes this.