1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Sub $450 9mm?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by NeverAnonymous, Mar 22, 2013.

1. NeverAnonymous
    • In Omnia Paratus

NeverAnonymous Loaded Pockets

I am looking for a handgun specifically. I have a few shotguns already, but for my houses layout (small, narrow hallways) a handgun is a better option for clearing rooms

2. Goju

Goju Loaded Pockets

Unless you luck nto a good deal on a private sale or a reasonable price at a pawn shop, the top tier manufacturers like Glock, Sig, H&K, Beretta, Browning , S&W, etc are not going to have anything at or below that price point in todays marketplace.
    You might be able to find a deal on some of these models :
    Cz P-07
    Cz (Zastava) model 99
    Taurus Model PT 92 or 99
    EAA SAR B6 series
    Armalite AR 24
    FEG Hi Power clone
    S&W SD9

3. chrischoi

chrischoi Loaded Pockets

Hunt down a Shield. :)

4. WichitaJLJ
    • In Omnia Paratus

WichitaJLJ Loaded Pockets

My vote, as others have said, is a 12 gauge; however if your heart is sent on a 9mm handgun, i'd go with the Ruger P95 at that price point

5. 95yjinpa
    • In Omnia Paratus

95yjinpa Loaded Pockets

I am 6`2", and around 285lbs. I wear lg/xl gloves. I carry a Glock 19 gen 3 daily, very comfy fit. I just bought my wife a Beretta Nano for her Cary gun. It is a micro single stack 9mm. It came with a 6 round, and 8 round magazine. My pinky hangs off with the 6 round, but fits perfectly with the 8 round. I love this little Beretta! I will have one!!
    Check em out.

6. Insignificanto

Insignificanto Loaded Pockets

HiPoint C9. For that amount you could get 2 and Dual Wield :)

7. sarge1967

sarge1967 Loaded Pockets

If you are just using it for HD I agree with the folks that say get a shotgun. My main HD weapons are Remington 870s. I have one for my wife and one for me. Now ours are all tricked out but you can get a Remington 870 Express Tactical for $350.00. That was what my wife's gun started as.

8. Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel Loaded Pockets

Shield=impossible to find and way over the o.p.'s price point. Doubt you could get one for less than $600 right now. But they are a great ccw option.

9. batteryguru

batteryguru Loaded Pockets

I don't know what they are going for post-panic, but not even a year ago the Sig 2022 was selling for about that. Only comes with one mag, though, and spares are sort of difficult to come by... pricey when you do.

The other gun that came to mind is the Ruger SR9. Though I typically prefer hammer over striker, I would definitely pick that over the P95.

keeper likes this.
  10. Nilloc

Nilloc Loaded Pockets

Might be worth looking at your local gun shop for a Glock police trade in. A Glock 17 or 19 can be had for around $ 390 for a police trade in. And lucky for me, I live in Georgia and can take them to Glock for a once over, free of charge.

11. cowsmilk

cowsmilk EDC Junkie!!!!!

My Sig P250 compact is in that price range. I've still seen it in that price range at a couple of places locally.

I'm Moobile, Baby!!!

12. chaosmagnet
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

chaosmagnet Loaded Pockets

Shotguns are great for home defense if you're in a static barricade position. Handguns, in my opinion, are the way to go if you need to move, as it's easier to open doors and harder to grab away from you. For example, if I wake up in the middle of the night and there's an intruder in my daughter's bedroom, I'm much better off bringing a pistol than a shotgun.

NeverAnonymous and batteryguru like this.
  13. mk_ultra

mk_ultra Loaded Pockets

14. Droid

Droid Loaded Pockets

Shotguns aren't magic. They still require some skill aiming. I've seen videos that show 00buck only pattern 3" at 5 yards. That's not much advantage over a pistol. I'm not sure if the spread is better with birdshot, but I wouldn't use that anyway.

UnlikelyEngineer likes this.
  15. LoneSniper

LoneSniper Loaded Pockets

16. Blind Squirrel

I'm surprised the spread was that much at 5 yards actually. The advantage is that you are aiming a long weapon (easier) vs. a short weapon (harder), and you are hitting them with 9 balls of death instead of 1. Never think that the spread of a shotgun can compensate for poor aim. It causes more wound channels and delivers a massive amount of force on it's target.

Handgun=easier to move around in tight quarters, easier to run with. No arguments there. As for grabing it away, I'm actually thinking the shotgun would be tougher, because both hands are on it and the mass of it prevents it from being slapped/punched away easily. That and I know precious few people brave (stupid) enough to charge someone with a shotgun. As for tight quarters, my first home when I got married was 770 square feet. Fully walled-in kitchen, bath/laundry, bedroom, livingroom, and patio. Unless I was one of those people on the hoarding shows, I would have no problem manuevering in there with my shotgun at the ready. Opening doors are cake once you get familiar with it. It's not a bad idea to do an occasional practice home sweep (even better if you have a friend to hide or be an aggresor). You can learn how to better search/secure your property quickly this way. Just make sure you aren't loaded for the drill, or use a yardstick instead of the real deal.

17. Blind Squirrel

UnlikelyEngineer likes this.
  18. LoneSniper

LoneSniper Loaded Pockets

A Remington 700 is on my list too. Had one back in the UK. Also on list are an AR15 and S&W M&P 9 :)

19. jeremiahak

jeremiahak Loaded Pockets

I bought my Shield for $419 two weeks ago so they can be had for a reasonable price if you can find one. However, they are very small, and probably won't fit your needs. All of the above options of finding a used name brand pistol are sound, but in this market its unlikely without some serious commitment to hunting for one.

Now I'm going to say something totally nuts that was mentioned earlier. If you're on a very limited budget go buy a hi-point. The first rule of a gun fight is to bring a gun, right? They are ugly, ergonomically challenged, and not the most highly accurate pistol on the market, but they do actually work. Watch some youtube videos and you'll see folks who have torture tested them, and came to the conclusion that they suck but they work. If it were me I'd hold out for a used M&P or Glock, but if I needed a gun and only had a couple hundred bucks I'd buy a hi-point.

20. twistedotter

twistedotter Empty Pockets

Saw a Sig Sauer SP2022 for $459 at Academy just this weekend. Great pistol for a great price.