1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Stylus 4A

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Stranger, Sep 6, 2014.

1. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I have a couple of Stylus 4A lights. One is white light, and the other is UV. I never carry them, because they are too long. They take 3 AAAA batteries, and are at least 6" long, maybe 7".

I wish that Streamlight would make a 2 cell AAAA light. That would be much more convenient. I don't even understand the purpose of these lights, but they are cool - if only they weren't so long. Streamlight told me on the phone that they used to make a 2 cell AAAA light, but for some reason they discontinued it.

Anyone here familiar with a single cell AAAA light? Or a two cell?

I should've googled it first. I found a couple. I'd like to buy one or two.

Last edited by Stranger, Sep 6, 2014
  2. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Klarus make one, the mix5, in stainless steel (may be discontinued), and gold plated.

I have the plated one and it's a great little light. Multi mode, and bright for its size :)

Nick4305 likes this.
  3. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I don't understand the purpose of the 3 cell 4A lights. If they don't want to make a 2 cell, then wouldn't it be smarter to roll all the features into the 2 cell 3A line and discontinue the whole 4A line? I don't see how the 3 cell can be an EDC light.

4. P185Renegade

P185Renegade Loaded Pockets

Front shirt pocket. They make them because they are slimmer than a AAA light. Just because you don't see a use for them doesn't mean they should discontinue them, just buy a light that you like and don't worry about the ones you don't like.

5. Rebelmoon

Rebelmoon Loaded Pockets

They use to make a 2 AAAA cell stylus around 10 years ago. They were about an inch shorter and only came in colored LEDs I believe. I never saw a white LED version. The only place you'll ever see one again is Ebay and they are rare.

I had two of the 3 AAAA cell Stylus. One had the batteries leak, the other I still have but hate the AAAA cell. It's uncommon, can only buy it at certain places, and they really don't last very long in my experience. That's just my personal opinion though.

Last edited by Rebelmoon, Sep 7, 2014
  6. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I don't mind the AAAA at all. The fact that it's an uncommon battery doesn't bother me. I like anything small. I just don't like the fact that the 3 cell AAAA is longer than most 2 cell AAA lights. It kind of defeats the purpose of the smaller size cell.

Last edited by Stranger, Sep 7, 2014
  7. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

At work I was given one of those three cell AAAA Stylus lights but never use it since I always carry a Preon II in my breast pocket. The 5mm led in the Stylus is only one level and 12 lumen max doesn't cut it for me. The momentary switch or constant on by twisting isn't what I want in a light.

For a while I was trying to source a one AAAA light for keychain carry. The only one I could find was the gold Klarus MiX5 but the price was a bit too high and didn't like the gold colour. I could never find the ss one. Also tried to find a two AAAA light but no success. I didn't dig super deep but I think the only solution is to get someone to make one. Would cost quite a bit but no company seems to make one. Another option is to modify the four AAAA cell Stylus or even make one yourself.

If you do end up finding a one or two cell AAAA then please post it here. I'd be interested in one as well.

As far as finding AAAA batteries, there are rechargeable Ni-MH on the bay plus chargers. Not much difference in sourcing them than the lithium-ions a lot of us use.

Stranger likes this.
  8. Stranger
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stranger EDC Junkie!!!

I will keep my eyes open. I like the Klarus MiX5, but $70 is way too much for me also. If other manufacturers enter this market, I think we will see a 2 cell before long. I can't remember why I bought my first Stylus AAAA, or how I got it, but my second one is a UV light. I'm glad I have it, but I would love to have a AA UV light, or at least a AAA UV light. If Streamlight ever makes the AAA Stylus in UV, I'll buy it.

9. angusW

angusW EDC Junkie!!!

Another option is to go with a Peak Eiger with a 10250 battery. I can speak for the quality of the Peak Eiger lights as I have two of them in AAA format. Problem is, the 10250 version only come in 1 cell lights and I don't know if I'd want a two cell version anyways. Plus it's only 0.5mm thinner than a AAA.

The only reason why I like the Stylus better than the Preon 2 is it's much thinner but that's probably due to the lack of a reflector. A two AAAA using a mule head would be ideal.

Stranger likes this.