1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Stupid Question From a newbie to travel since 9/11

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Co_Outdoorsman, May 7, 2010.

1. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

Like I said stupid question....

I have the new Surefire Pen II and was wondering... carry on or checked bags?

Thanks oh Great and Powerful Wizards of EDC...

2. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

It's a pen so it should be OK. I say should but I always err on the side of caution with TSA. If I don't want something taken from me at the airport, I don't bring it. If you want a pen/kubotan combo, which is possibly why you bought a Surefire pen for a hundred bucks, I go for the cheap and get a good metal ball point pen. My wife gets them free all the time from medical supply reps. Maybe try a CS Sharkie. I check them through TSA all the time. If they want it, I'm out about 5 bucks.

I also don't check anything I don't want swiped out of my luggage either. I throw in a cheap folder in my check in bags.

3. jackknife

jackknife Loaded Pockets

I've traveled a lot since 9-11, and one rule I've learned is; Don't b ring anything thru security that looks a little different than norm.

Leave the tactical pens, tactical flashlights with the crenelated bezels, and all the keychain kubotons at home.

Carry a nice all metal pen like a Cross or similar, a Plain AA minimag from walmart. I've walked right through security with them and my Irish Blackthorn walking stick every time. I put a low cost run of the mill knife like a sak or a Gerber LST down in my spare pants pocket in checked bagage, shoved down in the pocket with spare change and roll the pants up and put them down in the bottom of the bag. The knife has always been there when I pick up my bag from the conveyer.

Hatchetjack is right; don't take anything you will cry about, or can't replace at the next Walmart.

4. Chief-Yeah

Chief-Yeah Loaded Pockets

same reason I edc a benchmade mini grip instead of my $500+ custom knives when I have to go near any LEO's or through any kind of security.Wouldn't be happy about losing my mini grip either to be perfectly honest lol

5. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

You would be ok if you had a bag that you carry on with you ... I kept my tac pen in mine with other pens and markers and didnt have an issue .. YMMV ..

Another idea is bring a self addressed stamped envelope with you just in case.. If you get caught you can mail it back home

6. Co_Outdoorsman

Co_Outdoorsman Loaded Pockets

Sorry folks been busy as heck lately... thanks for all the advice... think I will leave it home and bring my Cross pens out of semi-retirement.....