1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Stupid car keys

Discussion in 'Where, When, & How Do We Carry All This Stuff?' started by CGRobert, Apr 22, 2015.

1. ThirstyTurtle

ThirstyTurtle Loaded Pockets

If it's all keyless (doors too), then you can take the chip out of the key and put it in something much smaller and put that on your keychain.
    I removed it from the fob and put it on the ignition. Yes technically my car can be hot wired now I think but it's a 13 year old car and it's only parked somewhere other than my garage or office overnight a couple times a year so I'm not worried about it.

Here is the key:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd like to retain the keyless entry with a smaller fob as I do miss it. I've thought about removing JUST the remote board and putting heat shrink over it or something and just carrying it loose in my pocket. Not very elegant but the circuit board is TINY compared to the fob.

2. Radley
    • In Omnia Paratus

Radley Uber Prepared

Interesting thread, I have found that what ever I do to make my keys as suitable as I need it has always been the car key that has caused the major headache as there is little to do to reduce the size or bulk of the thing. I did a mod on what I felt would be most useful to an unused pocket multi tool. and formed a kind of key knife design with LM brewzer and Nitecore Ti NWS10, I also retrofitted a thumb stud to allow better access to my house key. Keeping the Inova STS light keep everything compact.....and then came the car key. Game over
    [​IMG]

3. ThirstyTurtle

Well after reading this thread I started carrying my fob again and man I missed the keyless entry! Having to rethink my whole carry system now to accommodate this beast...still considering my heatshrinking of the circuit board idea...

4. CGRobert

CGRobert Loaded Pockets

Part of my issue is that I have to have the fob with me, the car is electronic start and won't start without the :censored: thing. If I leave it in the car, that means anyone who busts a window and gets into the car can just drive away with it.

Brtsmpsn and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  5. ThirstyTurtle

Well, I ended up "miniaturizing" my fob by removing the circuit board and battery, wrapping them in electrical tape, and putting heatshrink around the whole thing. There was already a nicely positioned hole punched in the board which I placed a split ring through.

Circuit board size comparison:
    [​IMG]

Wrapped in tape so there won't be any board peeking through around the edges where the heatshrink doesn't conform:
    [​IMG]

Finished product:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Final product size comparison:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On my keys:
    [​IMG]

I'm going to cut the actual "key" part so it'll fit on my master link. I tried cutting the existing key but once I drilled a hole, it was too short to actually use. I'm going to get a new blank cut this week and have him use a longer key so I can chop it up.

I'm SUPER happy with the results of all this. The finished product really doesn't look bad at all in my opinion and is MUCH more compact. Plus once I get the "key" in the master link (it will be replacing a rarely used key), it'll hardly add any bulk to carry the fob!

PS_I put in a brand new battery which should last a couple years. It will be quite a pain to replace...

reppans, swamptart, mole and 10 others like this.
  6. luciowheel

luciowheel Loaded Pockets

Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  7. ThirstyTurtle

Glad you like it! I've updated my keychain and here's how it rides now. I freaking LOVE carrying the remote now and it's got very little bulk comparatively. You can see that I cut down the car key and put it on a master link.

[​IMG]

8. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][/URL]

I've posted this a few times on assorted threads, but this seems worth the repost.

The car key stays in my pocket, the rest of my keys that I need stay in the car when I'm out of the house.

The link is an air tool quick disconnect.

9. ThirstyTurtle

Great idea! Unfortunately it won't work very well for me as I have several keys that I need "away" from the house but not in my car, if that makes sense.

Cobra 6 Actual and Brtsmpsn like this.
  10. Djs105

Djs105 Loaded Pockets

I pick up what you are laying down.

Cobra 6 Actual and Brtsmpsn like this.
  11. RunnersLunge

RunnersLunge Loaded Pockets

I just quit carrying the fob all together a few years ago because of the pocket bulk. I really haven't missed not remotely unlocking my doors, YMMV.

Last edited by RunnersLunge, Jul 7, 2015
  12. Rattlesnake

Rattlesnake Loaded Pockets

I have not one, but two bulky car keys on the ring. I just think of it as a blunt weapon I get to carry in my pocket...

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  13. Dadpool

Dadpool Uber Prepared

I can't quite bring myself to do this yet, but every time I look at my keys I'm tempted.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  14. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

I use to use that type of key ring until I almost lost a set of keys on a couch in a pub,....no doubt it's a rare opportunity for the thing to come apart whilst sitting down but it can happen so watch out.

15. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the 'heads up.' Much appreciated!

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  16. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

No worries.:)

17. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Horiztonal kydex sheath with cutouts for buttons, Spyderco G-Clip belt attachment.

My older sister is the last normal child my parents had. :oops:

ATB,
    Sam

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  18. JustinJ
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

JustinJ Loaded Pockets

the keyless entry fob for mine is purely optional - I leave that at home and just use the key to unlock the car as needed. I like the Keysmart for a non bulky keychain. it basically makes a friction folder of the keys, and you can order longer pivots to accomodate more keys.

19. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I also hate key bulge, but beyond the Tec Accessories P7 suspension clip I just deal with it. There are other solutions, but as a disclaimer I don't have any of these and only carry the remote entry device, ignition key, one house key, and my office key.

The KeySmart is pretty cool. It's simple, and I like it. Should I ever find myself carrying multiple keys I may invest in this. This seems to be the most practical manner of tightening everything in. Granted, I wouldn't put an ignition key in it.

Keyport is another, more complex, option, yet I like this as well. This company will craft your keys as blades via pictures you take and send them. You may also include non-key items. I'm quite enchanted with this idea.

They both merit consideration.

Brtsmpsn likes this.
  20. TheKojack
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

TheKojack Loaded Pockets

Here is my setup.
    [​IMG]

Brtsmpsn likes this.