1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Strider PT experience?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by iacchus, Jan 1, 2011.

1. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

I have been looking at a Strider PT, lately.
    I have never owned a Strider, and really know nothing first-hand about their quality and performance. Like any premium maker, there are folks who love everything about them and proselytize given any chance, and some who say the fit and finish is terrible and that they are overpriced for what they are.I figure the truth is somewhere in the middle, but where?

I realize this is one of the smaller models. My large, hard use folder spot is going to be filled with a ZT0551. I was thinking of the PT as filling the small, hard use knife role.
    Are the ergonomics okay, or is it just too small for that role (or in general)?

I want to try one out, but there are none anywhere in a B&M around here for me to hold, so I am left buying off the 'net without holding it first.
    Anybody got any pics of one in hand, or with other common knives or objects to compare?

Thanks, everybody. I appreciate your help. Any first hand experience is helpful.

2. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

No Striders here,unless I hit the Lottery. :'(
    Have friends that own the larger ones...& love 'em.

The reason for my reply is: you mentioned the new ZT 0551 in Elmax.

O0:woohoo::dance::crackup:;D

If you haven't got it yet,yer gonna do headstands! and cartwheels. :agree:
    Totally love mine.

Had made up my mind: unless ZT made something besides recurve blades,I'd just pass.
    Got an all-black Spec Bump and an all-black Scallion;that's enough recurves.

Then ZT collaborated with Rick Hinderer...:laugh:
    This one is all they say,and more.

Now awaiting my pre-ordered ZT/H 0551 all-black version (only 250 to be made!) and the pre-ordered ZT/H 0550 in Vanax,in the next few months.

And hoping for a ZT/H Spanto flipper! :smitten:

~Gnarly

3. tonester

tonester Loaded Pockets

i dont own any striders either but have been interested in the PT model. the only thing that has kept me from pulling the trigger on one is that i have read and seen in pictures that the pocket clip rides high. if i ever find a deal on one i might just try it out to see for myself.

4. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Last January I bought my nephew a Strider SNF Rogue Warrior and gave it to him when he graduated boot camp. I bought the Strider because it was suppose to be the best hard use folder out there. Against my better judgement, I bought myself a SNG, which is smaller than the SNF, at the same time. I was a little surprised to find that the knife has a Ti frame lock on one side and only a G10 scale with integrated rear spine on the other side. I assumed that you'd have a thinner liner on the non-locking side and then the G10 scale. Fit and function are great, but I didn't really get what I expected for $475. What did I expect? Well, the Grayman Satu is what I expected.

I considered the PT, but most did not come with a pocket clip and the 2.75" blade only had a 2.25" cutting surface. I think I'd rather spend about the same money on a small Chris Reeve Sebenza and get the full titanium handle.

5. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Oh yeah. Haven't gotten it yet, but have one on order from my dealer (KnifeWorks. They are really close to where I live, so standard shipping gets here the next day. Really great guys to deal with too). Anyway,..
    I too was really waiting for a non recurve ZT. The Hinderer collab just makes it that much better. I think it will fill my large hard use folder spot just fine. (Large for me is 3.5" to 4"; I need a blade over 4" and I will use a fixed blade)

I think there are deep carry clips available, but they have to be picked up aftermarket. i too would rather it would ride lower. Still, it looks to be a stout little blade. For some reason it has really caught my fancy.

It is good to hear that the fit and function on your Strider is up to spec.
    I noticed the single G10 slab, and sorta wondered how that worked out, usage wise. I suppose it is all right.
    The PTs w/o the clip are the CC model, and I would definitely be getting one w/ a clip. The smallish blade appeals to me, since I sold off my little SOG Twitch II in a fit of anti-SOG fervor. I like having a smallish folder, and figured this would be a hardy little guy.
    The Sebenzas I want are the inlaid models, and I refuse to lay down the dosh on one until I can get the model I want. Unfortunately, I do not have the cash for that at this time.

I decided to cull my torch collection down to just what actually gets used regularly, and use the funds to pick up a couple of blades. For the cost of the PT, I can get a couple of the Spyderco sprint models I have been looking at, or even a William Henry EDC. The Strider is in the running, but honestly, just because it is a Strider and I have never owned one. A Leafstorm would fill the small folder role just as well, and at half the cost.

We will see. I will try to get a few more impressions from some folks. I am in no hurry to buy.
    I will probably call Tourist and see what his experiences with them has been, as well.
    You know how it is, pre-purchase research is half the fun...

6. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I own 2 PT's; one is a Dog Paws PT CC & the other one is a Ranger green, with a stone washed blade. The PT CC is always with me. The regualr PT is a great knife. It sticks out of my pocket a lot. Don't get me wrong, I love them both. The PT is a tough as nails knife. I LOVE them. The fit & finish on mine are excellent. They are both very, very sharp.

7. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the reply, TKC. I think you have fine taste in knives, and your fondness for the PT means a lot.
    So the clip rides that high, huh? Is it so high as to be a bother?
    I am so used to knives being clipped to my pocket that I got a P7 suspension clip to put on my SAK. If the clip is going to make the knife hang out of my pocket an inch, I might have to look into some ways around it..... hmmm.

8. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

Look up STR,over on Blade.
    Titanium Low Rider Clips-$30 + S&H.

If that was your last excuse not to get one,iacchus...
    teeheehee!

Will getcha a link or email address,if you like.

9. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of pocket clips in general on knives but I would never own a regular PT. Too bulky in the pocket for my taste and uncomfortable in the hand, but the PT-CC is a model I've had my eyes on for a long time. It is much better ergonomically

10. iacchus

iacchus Loaded Pockets

Thanks, Gnarly! That saves me some time. I am pretty sure I can find him, but if I can't, I will let you know.
    Now if you can just find me somebody to make a custom scale for my ZT0551! I hear Trix isn't making any more.

Edit: scratch that. An artisan just now emailed me back with a fair quote for that custom scale, so that problem is solved. Good lord I am looking forward to that blade.

11. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

May be interested in a custom scale...PM me, if you like what is offered.
    Would get STR to make a clip for the ZT/H,but the factory screws are too close @ centerlines...he said: the bendover on the clip would prevent being able to tighten the screws,which would be under it.
    Otherwise...

12. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

I had a PT for awhile but it was too small for my liking. Be aware that the CC will not have a pocket clip. Blade is thin and a great slicer but I prefer my SnG and SMF. Some PT owners have had issues with the frame lock not engaging fully and with blade play. Mine had both and while the pivot does not require a spanner tool, mine in order to eliminate the blade play also caused the blade to be very tight to open so it was one or the other.

I had it for a month or two then found another home for it. I've owned several other Striders and will probably have a few more down the road but one PT was enough for me.

13. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

I have an AR GB and SA so I like the brand already.
    But for a small folder to be used lightly I'm torn between a PT and a small Sebbie which is a nice gentleman knife and has excellent built quality.

A CC PT is yet to be checked out though.

14. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

I was never really thrilled with my Sebenza. It was pretty vanilla for $350, but I know it was a hell of a knife. I traded it on a Strider SNG which I no longer have either. Right now I've got a Strider SNG with the Gunner Grip treatment. I'll probably end up trading it for something else or sell it.

15. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Thank you, you are very kind.The clip being high doesn't bother me at all. But, it does bother some people.

16. sonny

sonny Empty Pockets

Not to hijack the topic, but have you seen a Hinderer XM-18 ? I only hear good things about it. Mine would be without the flipper.

17. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Yes. I've never owned one, but I really like the grind on the blade.

18. Rawls

Rawls Loaded Pockets

I was sitting on the fence between a PT and a small Sebbie and quite a few reviews reported a disturbing lack of finish on the PT. Not one for small sample sizes I sought one out at a gun and knife show and it too had some issues (stiff beyond belief opening, scratchy pivot). This problem and others were found in video reviews for the PT. In the end $300 is a lot to spend on a knife, that in my opinion, is a crap shoot. All three Sebbies were perfect. Mine is as well.