1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Streamlight Stylus

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by PaulTX, Nov 15, 2006.

1. PaulTX

PaulTX Loaded Pockets

I work in an office and always have a Surefire E2E in my bag but like to have a light on me. For a long time I carried a Photon microlight on the keychain with the momentary on/lock on button. I upgraded to the Photon III with the on/off button. I ran down the batteries due to the light turning on in my pocket. So I decided to look around for something else. There are a lot of good choices, but I decided to try the Streamlight Stylus with the white light.

The light is well made, supposedly runs a long time on a set of batteries, and fits well in the pocket of my dress shirt. I don't know the tech specs, but it appears to put out a significantly more light that the Photon. I'm pleased with the Stylus and plan to use it for some time to come.

PaulTX

2. Beamhead

Beamhead Loaded Pockets

I have been EDC-ing a Stylus for a couple years, it is my most used light. The only draw back I can think of is the AAAA batteries it uses, but I get the 6 pack from Streamlight.

3. knightrider

knightrider Empty Pockets

I had one and really liked it. Very bright and slim - can easily carry in pocket and the clip is nice. Not sure on finding the AAAA batteries for it, never ran mine down to need to replace them.

I wish I hadn't sold it now!

You should look into the diffuser they have for it - or maybe its a spot enhancer. Neat stuff!

4. samson722

samson722 Empty Pockets

I love my Stylus!  I'm in EMS, so it makes a great replacement for those cheap disposable penlights.  I carry it in my pocket all the time.  It's definitely a lifesaver when I need to crawl under machines in the studios or the lab.  Anything else would be too bright and blind me with the reflection of all the panels...  I really want to get some colored LED versions, too...  Maybe I can request them as stocking stuffers.  I got mine from CopsPlus, I think, and they were less than $20.  Highly recommend this little light.  My only gripe is that I lose the beam shaper immediately after I buy these.  So I've learned to live without it.  If you need inexpensive AAAA's, and you have Radio Shack's in your area, it's your best bet.  I detest Radio Shack, but they have great prices for these hard to find batteries.  That makes me want to look on BatteryStation right now and see what they have to offer!  Be right back.

EDIT: .90 a piece for Energizer AAAA's...I think I found my new source for these little guys!

Cheers!

Samson

5. Lee1959

Lee1959 Empty Pockets

I tried the stylus but went back to my Photon II. It was simply not bright enough for its length for my taste (meaning too long and takes up too much pocket space for my taste the same reason I never carry a full length pen either in my pocket just personal taste), the photon had it all over it, personally. I have never had a photon go dead on its own and I have carried two of them on my keys for 10 plus years, a red and a white. In fact, every one in my family has them I have given out dozens and never had that happen to any of them

6. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

I have one of those - really useful for reading at night.

You can easily get those AAAA cells out of 9V batts (Duracell, IIRC).

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I have an embarrassingly large amount of these... maybe 10 or 11, but that always ensures I have one at hand whenever I need low output in a *very* convenient form factor.

I also use them for raving, much more interesting than using Photons, though I use those sometimes too.

8. Lunal_Tic

Lunal_Tic Empty Pockets

I have a number of these as well, even a couple of the old 2 cell red and amber ones. I keep the Gooseneck version in my computer tool kit.

-LT

9. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

There is no such thing as "too many lights"... ;) I have about a dozen CMG Infinity lights. :D

10. Trashman

Trashman Empty Pockets

I've got two Styluses and have never removed them from their packages! I do wonder what kind of light they'll put out and just how they'll feel in my hand and all, but I doubt I'll be impressed and will probably never use them. I've got tons of fauxtons, and how often do I use them? (never ever) I'll probably just keep 'em new in their packages until the time comes when I need a quick gift.

11. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Trashman, without the "covert" cap to limit their sidespill, you get an omnidirectional beam - good for walking around, etc. Not too bright, and a little too long even for pocket carry. Regardless, I like the one I have, and I keep it in my night drawer for reading, etc.

12. Sharpdogs

Sharpdogs Uber Prepared

I believe the cap also prevents the LED from getting scratched. I have a few hanging around. Carry them on the site as well. I believe they are on sale for just under $14.

13. PaulTX

PaulTX Loaded Pockets

I would have never guessed there are AAAA batteries in a 9v battery and I tend to try to see what is inside things! I'll have to check that out.

I bought my Stylus at Cabelas for about $13 and they sell the AAAA batteries.

I would think the Stylus would be good for an EMS/EMT person. I think I'll get one for my firefighter son-in-law that frequently rides on the "box" (aka ambulance). These lights are much better than the old 2-AA and non-LED bulb.

Paul

14. NSaglibene

NSaglibene Empty Pockets

I recently picked up one of the older Streamlight Stylus not the new pro model. I have to say I am very impressed, I figured this would be kinda a novelty thing but the output is really good for somthing so small. I compared it to a Mini Mag and it blows that away, and than I compared it to an LED converted Mini Mag and it was about the same brightness, if you put on the focusing cap, it gets much more streamlined and reached out much further than the LED Mini Mag.