1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Streamlight Protac 2L-X USB 500

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by ArkansasFan30, Mar 11, 2018.

1. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Has anyone purchased one of the new, aforementioned lights? I take it they're new because none of my typical vendors have them in stock.

Basically, I was looking to get another Protac 2L and saw they now can be purchased with a USB rechargeable battery and 2 CR123 batteries. Either are useful. I like the idea of versatility.

Comments, concerns...?

2. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

I've had a 2L-X since they came out and think it's a great light. I've run it exclusively on an Orbtronic 3500 mah 18650.

I have no experience with the Streamlight USB battery but the specs say it's 2600 mAh, which is kind of low by today's standards. That's a pretty heavy price to pay for the USB port, IMO.

3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

Didn't know that was low for a flashlight battery. I do think the run time on the USB rechargeable battery is a bit low.

4. Tusk

Tusk Loaded Pockets

Beyond that, I have a problem seeing the usefulness of a battery with a built in USB port. I can’t think of a circumstance where I wouldn’t rather have the best battery (or batteries) I can afford along with a dedicated charger. An XTAR MC1 charger (as an example) is inexpensive enough and small enough to “go along” if I thought I needed the ability to charge away form home.

But that’s me. This USB battery may be on the low end of 18650’s but it’s still quite a bit better than two CR123’s. If you think you have a use for this than why not give it a try? I just checked and it looks like the price difference between the light with and without the USB battery is only about $7.00. If it works for you then great. If not, you still have a really nice light you can use with regular 18650’s.