1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Stormtracker's next project? Should I build the Unikit Mini?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by stormtracker, May 1, 2010.

1. stormtracker

stormtracker Loaded Pockets

The best pocket organizer thread got me to thinking I need to build a smaller pocket version. Wanted to gauge interest and get soem input from others on this project. Any design ideas that I may not have thought of would be appreciated.

Dimensions especially.

Right now Im thinking of 5X3 x 1.5 or so.

2. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Still eagerly awaiting for my Unikit, but in terms of size, I would say don't make it *exactly* 3x5. The Maxped 3x5 notebook cover crinkles my 3x5 notebooks, but it also has this funky ridge around the edges that makes the actual cover larger than 3x5, very stiff, and a pain to stuff into pockets. The short 5 inch length also makes it a pain to store regular pens... for some reason most of my pens are longer than 5 inches. No idea if most other people have these issues though.

I almost want to argue for a 3x6x1 size, which would make it just the right size to fit into the M14 mag-sized chest pockets of an M65 jacket.

3. squishware

squishware Loaded Pockets

I'd scoop up something to hold my cr123 x2 battery flashlight and leatherman wave. I am thinking about having the local leather shop make me something.

4. jfirebalrog

jfirebalrog Empty Pockets

I think the 3x5 would be good ,but would also like the 1" thickness.

5. Barnowl

Barnowl Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a good form factor to me. I would like to see some internal pockets as well as elasticated loops. Possibly an external pocket of some sort might work well.

6. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

Sounds like a great idea Stormtracker. I would like the thicker design of 1.5 inch because I like to carry two 3*5 notebooks, one rite in the rain and one regular notepad. The problem with the pens I would have to agree with Akilae. Maxpedition has the pen holder on the back of the case which makes it harder to write on if their are spare pens there.

7. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

5x3x1 sounds good. big enough for a few items, slim enough for back pocket. Please post pics when/if prototype is done??

8. stormtracker

stormtracker Loaded Pockets

I need to come up with some original ideas on the interior and exterior pocketing.

I think we need something original instead of a design or copy of something already out there.

So.. Ok what height do we need for the pens?

Usually when I advertise something as say 5 x 3 I take a 6 x 4 piece of material due to the seam allowance. The seam allowance is usually about 1/4 to 3/8's so it would actually be roughly 5.25" Tall or 5.375" tall. I will have to check to see if that will accommodate pens.We definitely dont want it too small for pens.

Also it needs to be somewhat simple. Because $29 is about the most the market will bear and I don't need more than 2 hours into sewing one up or I'm working for less than $10 an hour.

Additionally black seems to be the #1 color people like. I would like feedback if possible on if a foilage interior would be favored as standard for the inside to contrast for ease of viewing the contents. Mind you the foilage would be standard as opposed to black. Or that is a thought.

Further input and ideas appreciated, keep them coming..

9. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

I for one would vote for some type of hi-viz interior. Either flourescent green, yellow, or orange, like Spec Ops brand offers. That is my preference. I've always wondered why more companies don't offer that design.

(Still patiently waiting my Looter Bag and UNIKIT.:drool: Hope the machine gets fixed soon!)

10. Priestly

Priestly Loaded Pockets

I'm absolutely going crazy trying to find something smaller than the regular organizers out there. I'm not a BDU wearer and am really tired of not being able to pocket my organizer. In fact, I'm sure I lost my first CountyComm organizer because I sat it on a shelf in a store to examine something - and then walked off without it.

I use either Zebra telescoping pens or the G2 minis in my current organizer so pen size isn't such an issue. Any contrasting interior would be welcome so foliage is fine by me.

I like organizers that allow me to slip the back cover of a notepad in a flat pocket on the right-side interior and so use the pad with the organizer open but if I'd give that up for the sake of pocketabilty.

An inside pocket just large enough for about ten business cards would be nice. One thing I don't care for is a mesh pocket on the exterior. I don't want to advertise the pockets' contents.

11. Wstan

Wstan Loaded Pockets

definitely bigger than 3x5, a lot of us use index cards for notes, etc. and something exactly 3x5 is unlikely to hold them well. I find my Condor too small as it is and it's bigger than 3x5.

12. Akilae

Akilae Loaded Pockets

Some more thoughts:

If at all possible, I would say stick as close as possible to a 3x5 organizer. I also have a Maxped 4x6 notebook cover, and that thing is nowhere near being able to fit into any of my regular pockets. Ideally, I would want something that fits in a pant pocket. This also means keeping the whole thing thin-ish.

Also, why are we committed to putting pens *inside* a pocket organizer? The Maxped organizers and notebook covers are well intentioned with external pen slots, but the position isn't that great. Anybody who's tried to write on a pad with pens stuck UNDER the notepad know it's actually an annoyance. The Maxped pen slots inside the organizers/covers UNDER the notebook insert is even more preposterous. I would say put pen slots on the outside of the organizer, on the top side. This way we can also cut down on bulk inside the organizer and not have to worry TOO much about the actual length of the organizer.

Internally, I rather like the orientation of the two slot pockets on the regular Unikits. This allows for a 3x5 notebook for the top-opening side, and, personally, photos of loved ones or other similar items in the other side-opening pocket. If we go with this, then I would say make the slot pockets a contrast color to help in locating items. If slot pockets are not planned, then is a contrast interior even possible without adding additional labor-hours?

For us forgetful types, I wouldn't mind a D or O-ring stitched to the inside (or even outside!), so some of us can perhaps have the option of dummy-cording the organizer to pockets or belts?

13. lonewolfranger

lonewolfranger Loaded Pockets

Any design that will hold regular size pens, a 2 cell surefire, and a multitool or knife, and notepad. I prefer the elastic retention bands in different widths instead of just pen size. Small pockets can be a plus. Maybe an ID, credit card holder on inside, a slip pocket on the outside with a strip of velcro across the top to secure reciepts, etc. I think alot would be happy to combine the SpecOps shoulder pocket wallet, maxpeds organizer, and your small unikit with a high viz liner (khaki or yellow) one zipper closure, and maybe a wide belt loop for a small, easy access 1st aid kit for hiking. A small universal pouch with these or similar designs could be versatile for many uses. Just thinking out loud I suppose, maybe stir up ideas from fellow EDCers! I would still prefer the 3x5 version for pocket use with a d ring on the outside for dummycord, preferably on a flat side to be able to slide in back pocket.

14. straightpuke

straightpuke Loaded Pockets

I really liked how my Unikit was black and the zipper cords were a camo color. I wasn't expecting that at all but it looks great. I think a cool colorway would be black exterior with bright orange interior.

15. AAROSOL

AAROSOL Loaded Pockets

I'd love a smaller unikit, but I'm looking for something that will fit in my front jeans pocket. So something 5x3 would probably be the max size. Elastic loops of different sizes to hold a small multitool, a small flashlight, a lighter, a fischer bullet pen would be perfect. I'd buy several of them!!

16. greyhound352

greyhound352 Loaded Pockets

A few more items to be considered.

Velcro on the outside for my favorite patch, EDC Forums.
    Slots inside for both type of note pads spiral bound on the top and side.
    If the organizer would be slightly bigger than a 3*5 than a Moleskin notepad would fit inside.
    Maybe a slot on the outside of the pouch near the top for a spiral bound notepad.

17. illusion

illusion Loaded Pockets

this sounds good.. me want!!

18. m1ster s

m1ster s Loaded Pockets

I like the 3x5 ish size as well. 1" thin with lots of external pockets for pens etc. would be great.

19. Municipal_Jedi

Municipal_Jedi Loaded Pockets

Lots of good ideas in this thread. I really like the idea of a contrasting interior foliage sounds good but safety orange or hi-viz green would be amazing.

I like the idea of it fitting in "normal" pockets I wear khakis for work and I would love to have a kit that I can take from work to weekend easily.

An outside slot pocket for ID or business cards would be great;

And the idea of various sized elastic loops inside is appealing.

I guess I'm looking for something that is a cross between a unikit and a wallet.

20. billybag
    • In Omnia Paratus

billybag Loaded Pockets

A pouch on the outside for the phone blackberry size would be good I think. I am not sure if that would work with the size.
    Seems that the general idea here is organizer/wallet.
    Contrasting colors are always a help at quick glance and grab.
    Thanks for asking for the thoughts Storm.