1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Storing Automatic Knives

Discussion in 'Knives' started by kymooseman, Oct 21, 2017.

1. kymooseman

kymooseman Empty Pockets

Do collectors store their automatic knives opened or closed. Is there any concern over spring tension? I know this issues arises when talking about magazines being kept fully loaded etc.

2. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

That’s a great question that I’ve never thought about. I carry a Shrade Extreme Survival that is an automatic. I’ve had it for over 3years and unless I’m using it, it’s been closed that entire time. Still fires like new too.

3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Could the difference be in the type of spring involved? My impression is that the spring in a magazine is a compressed coil spring whilst the spring in most of the automatic knives (or at least the assisted ones such as Kershaw and ZT) are torsion bars. My gut tells me this may make a difference but I cannot back that statement up with physics...

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

MCPOWoller likes this.
  4. steviesterno

steviesterno Loaded Pockets

I believe the consensus on magazines is that it's not staying loaded or unloaded that stresses them, it's the transition. so once it's at rest, it's pretty much good there indefinitely.

I keep my autos closed since I don't want loose knives with the blades exposed. With my HK OTF, it's spring powered both ways so I think you have it under tension either way.

If it was an issue to keep them closed the manufacturers would probably ship them open, as they can sit in a box for months or years before selling.

TTPower and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. Josh

Josh Loaded Pockets

I'm late to the party here, but I keep all of mine closed unless I'm cutting something. As far as otf's go, all the ones I'm familiar with the main spring is only under tension when the knife is being fired or retracted, but it is relaxed while the knife is retracted and while extended.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk