1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Stop your keys dangling from your ignition

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by halogen28372, Oct 10, 2011.

1. halogen28372

halogen28372 Empty Pockets

I put my perfect EDC keychain together but I soon found it had a problem. It was too long, it kept bumping against my leg while I was driving.

[​IMG]

But what I found was that I could wrap the lower "Lucky Line key ring" around the key in the ignition to keep it from hanging.

[​IMG]

Now I am totally happy with my setup.

2. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

I just unclip my car key from everything else when it's in use - too much weight isn't good for these things I'm told.

3. NeonLights

NeonLights Loaded Pockets

That much weight hanging from a car's ignition switch could shorten the life, sometimes drastically on some vehicles. I also have clips on my various keys and keychain tools to separate things so there isn't too much weight hanging from my ignition.

4. DrChimRichalds
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

DrChimRichalds Loaded Pockets

+1 here.

5. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

That's a lot of weight hanging from the ignition.

6. halogen28372

halogen28372 Empty Pockets

They look heavier than they really are. The whole key chain weighs about 6.5oz which is significantly under half a pound. If they weighed half a pound or more I'd be concerned.

7. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

Until I pared down my keys to just a very few I used one of these...

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NTH90951_0006553422

They used to cost about $5 and they're very tough but easy to use even with gloves. Not to flog a dead horse or anything but something that could shorten the life of a modern car ignition is not your friend -- ignition work is very expensive. Even for my old car I only keep one or two keys on that ring. It's just not worth it.

8. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

The guys on "Car Talk" determined that nine keys, or weight equivalent to nine keys, is the maximum you can have on a keychain without damaging the ignition.

9. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Honestly, I just carry my Key-fob/Car key seperately in my pocket from my keychain.

10. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

I do the same.

11. ATF

ATF Loaded Pockets

You act like 6.5oz is like a feather when really that's the equivalent of dangling an iPhone 4S and two sixth gen. iPod Nanos from your keyring.

12. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

I took a small piece of kydex and made a sheath for my car key that is what actually attaches to my key ring. I pull the key out of the sheath for use so the rest of the key ring goes back in my pocket and just the car key is in the ignition. And when I get out of my car, the key goes back in the sheath then the whole key ring goes back in my pocket. I did have a bit of worry when I first started carrying this way that the key would come out inadvertently but that hasn't happened. Of course, I cut the need to pull out my key ring about in half after I installed a keypad lock on the front door of my home so I never need to use the house key on my keyring any more.

13. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Me too. But then I use the car maybe once a month, so it wouldn't make much sense to EDC the key to it.

14. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

Do you have any pictures? This idea sounds interesting to me...

Personally, I use keychains primarily for keys, with the exception of a pair of Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers. I put the four keys I find myself using daily on a split ring with a TEC P-7 clip and the sliver grippers. This is clipped onto my pocket. The other keys go into a Down Home Leather Pen Knife Key Case.

15. DonShock

DonShock Loaded Pockets

Here you go:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. pharazon

pharazon Empty Pockets

Awesome! Not practical for some of todays car entry devices, unfortunately, but I love the design. I just keep my key separate from the "chain," but I will probably put a fob of some sort on it to fish it out of pocket easier.

17. Magnaminous_G

Magnaminous_G Loaded Pockets

Get a "Le Hook." It's like those detachable quick-release split rings but Swiss-made and much higher quality. I got mine from uniquetitanium. When you start your car, just unhook the other end and stick it in your pocket or in the center console.

18. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

6.5 oz too much for an ignition switch?!? Must be a plastic switch in a japcrap import.... You probably apply 2 or more times that in lateral torque when you turn the key to start the car...

I find it easier to just leave the key in the ignition.... with out a key chain hanging from it, its barely noticeable, even if you were looking to see if the key was there... Get a slim, old fashioned non plastic headed, regular key cut for your door locks.(that is, if you lock them. I don't a lot of the time)

G.

19. chmsam

chmsam Loaded Pockets

In NY and quite a few other states not only is it illegal to leave the keys in an unoccupied car but skipping the ticket and the obvious theft pontential, if a child gets into the car the potential for disaster is astronomical. Also, in some cases if you left the key(s) in the car, your insurance company might not cover you for theft or damages. Not a chance I'd ever take either in a rural or urban area.

I keep a key on a lanyard with only a small novelty light on it or I use one of the NAPA key rings like I said before. Those NAPA take apart key ring sets are real tough and still under $5.

20. AK Adventurer

AK Adventurer Ice, Ice, Tigre

looks like me post edit didn't go through... I had added that generally if the key is in the ignition, I lock the doors. if I don't see a need to lock them, I tend to get paranoid and hide the key in the cab...

Wow. Illegal? seriously?
    I wonder how that applies to a running vehicle... here we have hundreds left running in the winter, because the engine will cool off too much to re-start if you did turn it off... so they sit running. Usually unlocked too.(Even I lock my doors if its running, but many don't)

G.