1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Stonewashing a blade

Discussion in 'Knives' started by hatchetjack, Nov 30, 2011.

1. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Jumped on the wagon and tried it on a Spyderco Persistence. Results were pretty good and it's very simple to do. I'll try some different pics with some lighting adjustments. Whole process took about 90 minutes from take down to re-assembly and re-sharpening the blade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CardsNation likes this.
  2. Riggs

Riggs Loaded Pockets

:thumbsup: nice one dude

3. bisket

bisket Loaded Pockets

That looks good!

4. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

Stupid question H.J. Do you have a stone washer or is there a way to make your own at home.

If you did make your own a little how to or a link would be very cool

I hope I didn't miss something and this hasn't been talked about a lot already.

Thanks for any info Hachetjack it look's great. :ninja:

5. hatchetjack

I used a large plastic vitamin bottle and some smooth stones. Wrap in a towel and toss in the dryer. This will get you going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRhfqOTmq7E&feature=related

SMAJ likes this.
  6. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

That set up is pretty cool, my neighbor works for a company that does something smiler, but it uses bearings and just shakes it, ill tell you what i gave him a few pipe wrenches that looked like crap, and it came out complete clean! JR

7. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

ohhhhhh I am going to have to try this, I LOVE stone washed blades, not enough knives with them!

8. JAfromMn

JAfromMn Banned

Thank You Hachetjack I am going to give that a try.

I love Ideas like this

My wife not so much

:ninja:

9. hatchetjack

Yeah, they just don't get it! BTW, some guys are dipping the blades in PCB etch before stone washing to darken the blade. It's basically hydrochloric acid and hydrogen peroxide. You have to be really careful not to etch away too much metal as it will ruin the tolerances on lock up.

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?p=719626#post719626

10. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Loaded Pockets

You can also get PCB etchant at Radioshack, it is a ferric chloride solution. You dilute it with 1 part ferric to 3-9 parts water then etch for a short period, wipe then repeat. Don't get it on anything, lol it will stain just about everything yellow.

I'm sure everyone knows this but I'd be careful with any acids, HCL can rust everything in your shop if it isn't stored in an airtight container!

I really like to use white vinegar for an etchant. Boil it then soak the blade for a while depending on how dark you want it. With most carbon steels you can take them from a light etch to an almost parkerized look. Safe and doesn't make a mess.

If there are any large scratches an etch will deepen and accentuate them, try to get them out before you etch.

After etching rinse, wipe, rinse then neutralize with some TSP dissolved in water or some ammonia. Windex with ammonia works well. If you boil the blade for 10 minutes after the etch it will set it a bit better. If you don't neutralize the blade it may rust later.

I haven't done any stonewashed finishes but I just bought 9# of ceramic media yesterday and will try finishing some blades soon with an etched stonewashed finish in my vibratory tumbler. I'll report back soon!

11. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

if your going to dilute it, please remember High school chem.....AA.......or Add Acid.

when you dilute it, add the acid to the water.....do not add the water to the acid.

http://scienceguru.hubpages.com/hub/Why-Add-the-Acid-to-the-Water

now chances are this isnt going to happen with any concentration you can buy at RadioShack......but its always good to practice proper chemical handling.

12. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Loaded Pockets

Safety first! Always etch outside or in a well ventilated area with full safety precautions taken. Eye protection and gloves are a must. Wear a respirator, the fumes are toxic. Don't use vinyl gloves!

I'm always getting the solution all over myself, it is so messy it isn't funny! It burns like crazy.

I really like to stay away from the ferric but it can have a great effect, I really prefer white vinegar for basic etching. They both bring out a hamon differently too.

And never drop a recently etched kiridashi on your foot. Never! :)

13. hatchetjack

Yes, please do. I have a Midway tumbler I use to clean fired brass and was wondering if I could use some other media in there for stone washing. I was concerned that too coarse or hard medias would damage the tumbler bowl.

14. Coup de Grace

Coup de Grace Uber Prepared

Nice job. I'll have to try this.

15. MWDP

MWDP Banned

I always wanted to try this but I'm just too fond of my Tenacious. Besides, this is only done right once you have the proper stonewashing media, and I don't think the pebbles from the pile in front of my house would do any good. If not done properly, you can only damage the blade... And I do not want to take that risk

16. themadplumbarian

Well I went forth and tried it, well am in the middle of doing so, I did everything said, but when I put it in the dryer. I figure it was a bad idea, since mine hangs on the wal, so I'm doing it by hand, JR

17. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

Well I tried this today also,,, and I am hooked ! I will be lucky if I dont end up stone washing every blade I own, its always been my favorite finish.
    The first container I used had trouble with the lid staying on tight, so I switched to a small gatorade bottle.
    This works well, but I still suggest taping the lid just enough to prevent it from unscrewing any.
    I just tossed mine in with a load of clothes, hehe. But you can also just run it by itself in the drier IF you wrap it in a towel.
    Not sure how long I did mine, even as little as 20 minutes shows great results.
    Yes, it dulls the blade to a butter knife, but I noticed no chipping of the blade.
    I thing the combination of medium to small rocks (not large ones) and the small container made there be less impact on the blade, thus less chances of chipping.
    Does anyone have an actual rock tumbler/polisher? I would REALLY like to know if one of those would work. But I kinda think that they wont have enough impact, or a forceful impact on the blade to get this finish.
    The drier provides that falling hard tumbling. Not just rolling it softly in rocks.
    Anyway, here are the rocks I used, I used all shown here except the 5 or 6 largest ones.
    [​IMG]
    And the results !!!! I even stone washed the black clip, it was scratched to heck already, figured I would see what it would do, I like it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. hatchetjack

Looks great! Is that a Pinnacle! I know what you mean, I've been looking around for something to toss in the dryer myself.

19. jtice

jtice Loaded Pockets

Yep thats a Pinnicle, yea I know, cray to do that as my first one?
    It was a user, and the blade profile was off from a crappy sharpening job, so I figured it couldnt hurt lol.

Just finished a Benchmade HK also, did get one small chip in the blade, but nothing a nice sharpening wont fix.
    Yea, Im hooked ;)

20. themadplumbarian

Here's a before and after pic of what i was doing, not bad, good workout on the forearms! JR
    Before,
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Stones,
    [​IMG]
    After,
    [​IMG] [​IMG]