1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Still haven't decided on a RAT knife... help!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by greymethod, May 11, 2009.

1. greymethod

greymethod Loaded Pockets

So I'm leaving school in a week and have some money to throw around. I have had my eye on the RAT cutlery RC-4 for a while, but haven't been able to pull the trigger because I couldn't decide whether I wanted that one, the RC-5 or the new RC-6.

My problem is I already have a couple of 4 inch knives. I like this size, but I feel like I might not "need" another one. The RC-5 is a little bigger and the 6 looks like a machete.

This being said, I really haven't seen too many pictures of any of the knives actually in hand. I don't have small hands or anything (I'm 6'3), I just think this would help me gauge my decision a little bit better.

I have also had my eye on the Gerber LMF II and the Bark River Bravo-1.

Anyone have any input?

Thanks,
    Grey

2. StandardBattery

StandardBattery Loaded Pockets

Maybe you want to try a Bark River Bravo-1 if you don't have one. Or try a RAT RC-3 and see what the 'little' knife can do. You've got a few color choices now with RAT.

3. greymethod

I think the RC-3 is too small. I have several folding pocket knives that big.

The Bravo-1 seems very nice, although it is a little pricey.

As for color, I like the RAT's standard black and grey.

4. monkeysfistmaker

monkeysfistmaker Loaded Pockets

Hey man, don't get the Gerber LMF 2, it is an extremely tough knife, suitable for Egress, but for the survival part, I don't think it is a good knife. I own the black infantry, and to be honest, I regret ever buying it. What do you plan on using your knives for?

5. greymethod

camping and backpacking mostly... ;D

6. knifeguy

knifeguy Loaded Pockets

I agree on the LMF. I would have bought one a loooong time ago except for the darn serrations, which in my opinion make using the blade a pain the butt.

7. greymethod

Well why do you regret buying it? And what would you suggest in its place?

8. fallow

fallow Loaded Pockets

Hi, I've seen and handled the Rc3 and Rc4, I'd go with the Rc3, unless you need a real camp survival knife, then the added inch(es) aren't going to make much difference.

If you've already got a few 4" sharps, why not go with something more stout and shorter? Unless the added inches are making up for something? :-X

Only kidding :p

9. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

I have a RC-4 and I love it. I'm a medium built guy and have size 9-10 hands... and the RC-4 is a good hunk of steel.

But... if you have a bunch of 4" sharps... there's nothing wrong with going up a size to the RC-5 or RC-6. There's a bunch of pics with knives in hand on the RAT website... except few if any are of the RC-4. And unfortunately I don't have any pics in-hand of my RC-4. (Though I'll try to get some tonight and put 'em up for you.)

10. greymethod

I just like the looks of the 4 better.

And in hand pics would be awesome!

I haven't seen ANY in hand pics of the 5. The blade is a different shape than all of the other models, yes?

11. MandM

MandM Loaded Pockets

12. greymethod

I'm still thinking the RAT-4...

13. EDC EVERYTHING

EDC EVERYTHING Empty Pockets

Dude Bravo 1 all the way!It's such a sweet knife!

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

If you let me know what Rat Knife to get I will get it for you. It is what pays for the forum. The Truth is I would pick a Bravo over a Rat but I can get Rats. ;D

15. greymethod

I'd like to get a Bravo-1 but it's out of my price range :(

16. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Even a plain black micarta one? I have had Rats and can get more but in my opinion they don't compare at all.

17. moonshinematt

moonshinematt Empty Pockets

I have a RC-3 and and ISULA... I would recommend the RC-3, but the izula seems softer steel and too small.. RC_3 is an awesome edc.

18. yankee

yankee Empty Pockets

Rat 3 is very good
    yankee

19. parawolfe

parawolfe Empty Pockets

If you are going to use it for survival, hiking and camping then I think the smallest you can go is with the RC-4. You got to have at least a 4" blade for batoning, maybe some light chopping, maybe. But for batoning and splitting I'm finding out I don't like a blade smaller than 4". I have a Ka-Bar Becker Campanion BK-2 and like it but it is built like a tank and bulky for it's size. I want to downsize my BOB and wanted a fixed blade that was large enough to baton and split branches but small enough to fit "inside" a Maxpedition Lunada. I thought I'd give a Becker Necker BK-11 a try. It's a nice small neck knife. I'm not one for wearing a knife around my neck I won't using it in that capacity. It seems too small to be a survival knife or only fixed blade. It made me appreciate my BK-2. I'm considering a RAT RC-4. It seems to be a good sturdy fixed blade and as small as I want to go in a survival, hiking, camping knife.

Parawofle

20. Captain. Glock

Captain. Glock Empty Pockets

Dude, no matter how many knives you have you always need another one. Anywho go for the RC-6. The larger blade is better suited for lots of stuff, and the RC-5 is way over priced for what it is.