1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Stiff, Off Center Blade On RAT 1

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Justinp, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

Hey guys. Over the past few days I've noticed my rat 1's blade has gotten a little stiff and sort of grinds a little. It's not really grinding but it makes a running sound. Not sure how to describe it. It's also off center. Also, I noticed some type of washer or shim that's only on one side. It's white if that helps. Haha. I've never taken it apart so I'm not sure what's in there. I'll post pics at the end. I've been trying to find a set of tools that fit the screws on it but for the life of me I can't find any small enough. The only one I found fits the big screw on the blade hinge. What kind of tools do you guys use and can you please tell me where to get them?! Haha. Any other info is appreciated as well.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. D.J.

D.J. Loaded Pockets

You are looking for a torx set. I would suggest anyone that is collecting any of the more modern tactical style folders or fixed blades invest in a nice torx set. Same for firearms. I would definitely break it down and clean it/oil it up. You also want to inspect and make sure the washers are in good repair. If not, contact Ontario and see if they can send you the washers. Very easy and simple. Plus it gives you the excuse to buy another knife to carry while you wait for your washers to show up

3. Adahn

Adahn Loaded Pockets

For your RAT folder and for most of the other modern folders you should be fine with a Torx T6 for the small screws and a T8 for the pivot screw.
    I have sets with exchangable bits but I prefer to use single Torx drivers because then I don't have to change the bits every time ;)
    Some older models came with hex screws but the Torx ones are better as the heads of the hex drivers often turned in the screws head destroying the pattern.

4. stepewolf

stepewolf Loaded Pockets

If you are in a hurry you can use the wall part from a yogurt or margarine tub to create new washers. Use a pair of calipers or your eyes to find the correct thickness. It can be cut with ordinary paper tools (scissors punches etc) The material does not have the self lubricating properties of nylon 66 but for a knife pivot it will do.

Adahn likes this.
  5. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

wrong thread, please delete