1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Steel Snobbery?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by el_murdoque, Dec 15, 2020.

1. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Weeelll, I partly disagree here. New isn't always better. I prefer carbon over stainless. And carbon has been around for centuries. And some blades from centuries ago are still around. But agreed, there is a lot of crap around now a days

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

2. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

Well, what makes a steel inferior to the next?

One guy may prioritize edge retention, so he may see 1095 as being inferior to Maxamet.

The next guy may prioritize ease of sharpening and toughness so to him 1095 is vastly superior to Maxamet.

It comes down to you and your needs and preferences. There's always a trade off. There is still a huge following and demand for simple carbon steels too, there are companies who's entire reputation was built on those steels and they still sell the crap out of 1095. There's a reason O1 is still used in bushcraft blades.

I'm just saying, this whole topic is really subjective. If you focus solely on one quality of a steel, like edge retention vs edge retention, you're ignoring all of the other qualities that other people may prefer.

3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

If a steel has all the properties of another steel PLUS some of them are even better or on top, this steel is superior over the other. Say, we have the same edge retention, hardness, and so on and so forth but on top of that we have rust resistance. Then we have a superior steel.
    Some of the sales figures purely go back to pricing, which is ok. But it has nothing to do with the quality of the steel. Like, a machete made out of “super steel” would have a hefty price tag.
    Plus, I never said that everything new is better. It might but be better for a certain application.

Austria est imperare orbi universo