1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Starting to plan a college EDC...

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by cosine, Jul 30, 2007.

1. KevinB

KevinB Loaded Pockets

porjectdp's picture reminded me - a small package of Kleenex comes in very handy. Wet Ones or some sort of wipe do too. I'll second the recommendation on snacks and water. I used to carry a small thermos of hot tea during the cold winters at Michigan State. A bit heavy and bulky, but very welcome, and cheaper than buying coffee.

As far as backpacks go, look for something inconspicuous. Anything too tactical or expensive will draw attention to itself, and it might grow legs and disappear when you're not looking. I'd go with something simple, like a Jansport daypack. Some people prefer messenger bags, but I found it easier to carry something with 2 straps, especially when loaded with books and papers.

Kevin B.

2. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

Good advice. Will definitely keep in mind.

I am going for a pack with two straps. I have used heavily loaded single strap messenger bags a couple of times, and don't like them. Regarding backpacks, has anyone had any experience/advice/recommendations about backpacks with waist straps? Does it up the comfort? Make the load easier to carry? Necessary/convenient/unnecessary? I do have several days where I have quite a few big classes back to back: math, followed by english, followed by chemistry, followed by a general engineering class. I assume I'll be carrying a few textbooks and notebooks around for those times.

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

Waist straps look kind of dorky when you wear them (like you're about to go on a hike), and if you let them dangle by your side it doesn't look too good either. I felt a sternum strap was more important to hold your shoulder straps together.

I honestly doubt you'll need to carry lots of books, unless you plan to study after class. In lectures, you won't have time to look at your book; you should be busy paying attention to the professor and taking notes. English classes are different; you may need your book in class, but they're often tiny novels or at the worst, a larger softcover.

My last two years of college, I never carried any books to class except for open-book tests. College is very, very different from high school (assuming you're going to a real university).

4. cosine

cosine Loaded Pockets

I've been thinking about ironraven's and carrot's suggestions that I stick with easily found, cheap batteries and that I go for a two-stage light.

I think I'm convinced. ;)

So, with those two criteria, what choices are there in the flashlight market? The Fenix "L" series is most apparent, but any other choices?

Also, with Fenix lights... do you prefer their clicky or their twisty?

5. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Well, there's the Jetbeam and Ultrafire, whose quality I'm told can be questionable at times. Streamlight Twin-Task... UK eLED Zoom 4AA...

Well, Fenix doesn't make any alkaline lights that use twisties. And the clickies are quite nice and for the most part extremely reliable. I'm quite a fan of the L2D-CE and L1D-CE (though I prefer the L2T).

6. ironraven

ironraven Empty Pockets

Hmm.... The Gerber Infinity and the Inova X1 are the tops in my book for single AA. For a double AA, I like the MiniMag with the Nite-Ez LED conversion- cheaper and better in my opinion than the LED MiniMag. There are also a number of good dive lights out there.

Not much in AAA makes me feel warm and snuggly.

7. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Hmm, I wasn't thinking about single-stage lights. Princeton Tec and Inova Bolt are also pretty good options.

8. bigfoot

bigfoot Loaded Pockets

Apologies if any of these have already been mentioned:

Good pens and pencils that you can afford to lose. The Zebra F-301 ballpoint pens and M-301 mechanical pencils are still my favorites. A good rollerball pen for taking notes where the professors like to talk really fast. Pilot Precise V5 my favorite here.

A second on the handi-wipes. (I really wish I had thought of that when I was in school!)

The school policy on weapons sounds pretty typical. The suggestion of carrying a SAK or Leatherman is a great idea. It's more than a "knife", it's a "tool".

Maybe keep only the larger G2 or X5 on your person, with a smaller backup light (Photon Freedom, Arc-P, etc.)?

Depending on whether you are commuting by public transit or personal vehicle, or if you are in a city or rural area, you might have to change things up a bit with respect to the knives, tools, or pepper spray. One example comes to mind about the trains in NYC where they were randomly searching bags.

9. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Hey, cosine, about your EDC bag, The North Face Recon is pretty nice. Its size seems "just right" for carrying books, etc., and I think the newest version even has a laptop sleeve and stuff.

10. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

I have never been randomly searched and I've ridden trains at least twice daily in NYC during that time of increased alert. It is always a possibility, of course, and it is always better to be discrete about your knives than to be flashing them. A Leatherman-style tool, is, of course, a fantastic idea, and better than having no knife at all.

11. KG2V

KG2V Loaded Pockets

I seem to remember there was an anti weapon thing when I went to college back when - I always had a small folder on me anyway. Then again, I worked for the college radio station, and took public transit to work as an iron worker after some classes - on a "normal" day, I had enough tools in my field jacket that I actually clanked when I sat down - needle nose pliers, linesmans pliers, strippers/crimpers, soldering iron, solder, extention cord, various wire terminals, electrical tape, a pocket VOM (didn't own a digital back then), a small xcelite nut driver set, etc. If it was a "work" day, add a tool belt with things like large chanel locks, a BIG (3 lb) ball pien hammer, fid wrenches, work gloves, tape measure, etc. I was also usually wearing my work blues on those days...

For some reason, no one questioned me - I guess I just looked like someone doing his job...

12. kruspe

kruspe Loaded Pockets

Yes, it definitely ups the comfort and makes the load easier to carry.

Whether it is necessary will depend on how you manage your books. If you have lockers convenient to your classrooms/ study areas, you may not want one. If you are riding trains and walking to and from school, and plan to take books back and forth, you may want a waist strap. I ended up buying a new backpack with one a couple of years ago, because I had a couple of really heavy books that I hauled around a lot, and I'm a music major, so I have a brass instrument to carry as well. Then again, I'm slightly built, and I feel it pretty quick when the load starts getting heavy. YMMV.

You'll probably find that your system evolves as you get into your routine. You'll learn how to manage your studying so as to carry the absolute minimum of stuff. When I'm in school, I have subjects that I primarily study on campus, and subjects that I primarily study at home. When I have a test coming up, I may mix the two and carry extra stuff, but I detest carrying any more than I have to.

I also had the campus print shop cut the bindings of some of my heaviest books and rebind them in sections corresponding to each unit in the class. Once you get the class syllabus and reading assignments you can plan your sections. It only costs a couple of dollars and a little time, and your back will thank you. You won't be able to sell those books back to the campus bookstore, but you can usually find a friend who has to take the same class and will buy them from you, often for more than you'd get at buyback.

13. carrot

carrot Loaded Pockets

Speaking of being minimalist...

Usually all that I have with me when I walk around campus is in my pockets or in my jacket when it's cold enough. I space out my classes long enough that I could go back to my room (or in your case, you could go back to your car) to grab what I need, if ever.

I don't take notes because I find it better to just be an active participant, and I rarely have anything school-related with me besides a pen and a small notepad unless it is truly necessary for a class (like drawing). Fantastic grades this year, so it seems to work well for me. YMMV.

14. Brassnut

Brassnut Empty Pockets

I have 2 bags, either of which would cover your needs.

I have a good size Jansport that has wheels and and retractable T handle. plenty of room for laptop and extras. about 50.00
    I also recently bought a maxpedition operator tactical attache. this is pricey amount 110.00

Both work well. I like my maxpediton more it is more comfortable to me (I never wear both straps of a back pack either thought)

knives - Do what you feel you need to but out of sight out of mind.

the rest is covered but I wanted to throw in my 2 c's