1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Starting a second job as a process server and need advice on small reliable 9mm.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Sgt. LED, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

Just like the title states.  This will be used on the job as a CCW piece.  I need holster advice with it.  I have a boxers build and would like the most concealable thing without slowing down access to it very much.

I'd prefer 9mm but 380 is sufficient to me.  Please try to limit the caliber debate....... It get's old in about 2 minutes.

One of my first thoughts is Ruger LPC but if I can I'd like 9mm.  I have a Glock 19 that is great but with my 31 inch waist is doesn't hide as well as I'd like but it wins in power and reliability, if only it was a bit thinner!  Tried a Kahr something once and it was a jamamatic but also wasn't mine so it may of been really dirty.

What say you? Just live with the Glock 19?

2. c22m22c

c22m22c Loaded Pockets

couple thoughts

You may consider walther's newest creation. My best friend has one, loves it, and pocket carries it. I think his came with 3 mags. A 6, 7, and 8 round...if memory serves correctly. Its a 9mm also.

you may also enjoy the smaller glock 26 for a number of reasons. Its a platform you're already accustomed to. It will take your g19 mags as reloads. I don't think its any thinner than the g19 though.

3. Roger Beep

Roger Beep Loaded Pockets

Re: Starting a second job as a process server and need advice on small reliable

Maybe you should give the Heckler & Koch P7 M13 a look. Small package, but still 13 rounds in 9 MM, and very safe action.
    Mine shot a few thousand rounds without even 1 failure.

4. glocker199

glocker199 Empty Pockets

The P7 M13 is not really any more compact than the G19 and MUCH heavier.

I would try a good belt and a better holser before I dropped the $$$ on a new piece. I've been carrying a G19 daily for about 9 years and I have found that of all the holsters the Threat Solutions UCR is the most concealable and most comfortable. I'm 5-9" 165 with a 34" waist and can easily conceal my G19 in a normal fitting shirt.

If you have to go to a pocket gun, I've had very good luck with the Kahr PM9 as a BUG. They are small, flat, light, and generally very reliable after the 2-300 round break in period as long as you don't :censored: wrist it. This is the case with all small, powerful autos.

5. jetdriver

jetdriver Empty Pockets

I'm new here, and this is my first post. But, I though I'd give you my $.02.

I have been carrying daily for a few years now. I've tried lots of different pistols from 1911's and variants to HK's (my house gun in .45ACP), GLOCK'S, XD's, and Taurus' to name a few. I think your G19 is a good one, but understand your comfort woes with it. Thin is nice (like a 1911) but the single biggest detriment to concealing is the grip length, not barrel length. You may already realize this, so apologies if it sounds condescending. 1911 style pistols are about as flat as you can get, but in a small CCW size they run into reliability problems. I see several advantages to the GLOCK. I carry a G26 daily (the 9mm subcompact). I feel it has many advantages:

1. No external levers, safety etc. to snag on things, or be forgotten to disengage when teh stuff hits the fan.
    2. One consistent, easy trigger pull every time (vs. DA/SA type setups).
    3. GLOCKS have a very short reset, so follow up shots are a snap.
    4. Parts, accessories and holsters are abundant and available EVERYWHERE.
    5. They are extremely reliable, and mechanically rather simple (less parts) EASY to maintain.
    6. This one is big - all like caliber mags are interchangeable. Meaning, you can carry a G26 with a flush fit 10 rd mag, and keep a 17rd G17 mag for a reload. Or one of the G19 mags you already have :)

The G26 has a small footprint. With the 10 rd flush fitting mag is VERY easy to conceal. There are many comfy ways to carry it. Appendix, strong side hip, in a pack, etc. You can add a small finger extension to give your pinky a place to grip. I like Crossbreed holsers (half leather and kydex) nicely priced too. Also worth checking out if you want a totally no frills, hot carry method is a Clipdraw. They work great, especially on GLOCKS. With a nice strong belt, you'll almost forget its there.

Good luck. PM me if I can be of further help.

6. tacitus

tacitus Empty Pockets

I've found that pocket carry is the only thing that works with my (business casual) style of dress. If you can wear a jacket, you could probably conceal one of the aformentioned Glocks or Springfield XD's in a paddle or pancake holster. I can't for the life of me understand how people carry IWB, which is never an option for me.

So the only pocket carriable 9's I've found are the single stack variety: Walther PPS (mentioned previously) and the Keltec PF9. Kahr would fit too but you ruled that out. The Glock and XD are about the same height width, but are double stack and are thus thick as a brick. Even so, the PF9 is a bit on the large side for pocket carry. It's a bit too large to look like a wallet. I just stick with my P32 (identical in size to the Ruger LCP).

7. greenLED

greenLED Empty Pockets

Not only that, but all the added complexity is a turn-off (at least for me, I know people who swear by their P7's).

Kahr PM9 or the P9 would be slimmer/smaller than a G19.

8. c22m22c

c22m22c Loaded Pockets

As far as .380's go...

Not to sound like a walther snob (i've only owned the p22)...but if .380 is acceptable you might think about the ppk. My .380 knowledge is limited though.

9. ThChrMn

ThChrMn Empty Pockets

The Kel-Tec P11 has always been reliable.  It works just fine as is but I have done a Fluff and Buff to mine.  But, I enjoy that sort of thing.

I use the Desantis pocket holster and looks like you’re carrying a wallet in your front pocket.

I wear dress pants to work and no one ever knows that I am carrying and I have easy access to the weapon.

Here are some pics.

[img width=594 height=640]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s171/ThChrMn/keltec1.jpg[/img]
    [img width=449 height=640]http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s171/ThChrMn/keltec2.jpg[/img]

10. Domanfp

Domanfp Loaded Pockets

I would go with a kahr PM9.

Or I have seen some really nice holsters that concel the 3" 1911's very well.

11. fuzzypockets

fuzzypockets Empty Pockets

Hello

I have carried either a G19 or a G23 for a few years ( got the G19 when i was 19 i am 38 now). I also have 1911 style pistol and i have to agree that the hardest part about hiding a pistol is the grip not the barrel. I can say that i LOVE my G19 and would not trade it for the world. If you are a 31 waist you should have no problems hiding a G19. You may have to find someone to make or go to a high end manufacturer for it and you will be proud that you did .

I wish you all the luck in the world finding the pistol that fits you and you needs and good luck in you new part time job, may you never need to use the pistol while doing your job.

FP

12. heathah

heathah Loaded Pockets

I recently acquired a Ruger LCP that I've been after for quite some time so that would be my vote. It's small, accurate, and thus far reliable.

I also made a custom pocket holster for it that works very well as it is easy to conceal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. DragonRider

DragonRider Loaded Pockets

My question first is how you have to dress for the job.

If slacks and untucked polo, we have more options. You may want to consider appendix carry, since the bulge in that spot will be thought of as a cell phone.

HTH

John

14. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I would also suggest a Kahr.

15. ThChrMn

ThChrMn Empty Pockets

So, tell us Sarge. What did you buy?

16. Sgt. LED

Sgt. LED Empty Pockets

Nothin yet, still thinking about it. So far I have gone with what I have. I want to try out a Kahr that has been taken care of properly.
    The Ruger will be picked up at some point I'm sure.

17. c22m22c

c22m22c Loaded Pockets

SgtLED...

where, in clock terms, do you normally or prefer to carry your pistol?

i ask because one of my friends has a 34 inch waist, is left handed, and carry's at the 8 o'clock. For him, placing the weapon more to the rear helped conceal the weapon well. And for those full value and half value profile shots, loose (not baggy) polos and t-shirts did well to conceal the firearm.

if you're carrying at 9 or 3 o'clock, you may consider a change as these are the widest parts of you. Most guns will print like crazy there.

you may have already known that, so its just a thought. :)

18. clutchUSMC

clutchUSMC Empty Pockets

I pocket carry a kahr PM45 and have found it to be much more reliable than my keltec p11. It is also more comforting to have .45acp in your pocket than 9mm or .380.

19. ThChrMn

ThChrMn Empty Pockets

Can you please "Qualify" how the P11 is not reliable

20. clutchUSMC

clutchUSMC Empty Pockets

It will not feed anything but round nose bullets. Its been back to the factory and still will not run though an entire magazine of XTPs without a FTF.