1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Starbucks upholds US Citizens's right to carry openly

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by shrap, Mar 1, 2010.

1. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

2. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

Yikes, the tone of that article! And I thought anti-gun people in the U.S. were bad...

3. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

It's possible that Starbucks knows what "social responsibility" means better than those groups who demand for our rights to be arbitrarily removed.

4. Hoshnasi

Hoshnasi Empty Pockets

That part at the end there from the "Brady Campaign" shook me up pretty good.

"You are currently allowing people to openly carry guns in your stores. I demand that you stand up for the safety of your customers and bar guns in your coffee shops. Guns don't belong in restaurants where families and children gather. Reverse your corporate decision."

I wonder if the Brady Campaign wil submit a petition to a criminal who is holding up a Starbucks with a gun when all those scary honest citizens carry handgun are gone?

If I lived in Virginia I would exercise the hell out of that local law.

5. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Sure, that mocha-frappa-chino-latte may cost 8 bucks, but your rights are priceless. I used to think less of Starbucks, but they have gone up a few notches for me once I found out about this.

6. vic2367

vic2367 Loaded Pockets

3 cheers for starbucks

7. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

I keep finding companies I used to like, that no longer will be getting my hard-earned money. Nice to, for once, find a company in the opposite situation.

8. Circle of Owls

Circle of Owls Loaded Pockets

I think that I'll stop by Starbucks on the way to work this morning. Bravo!

9. phill

phill Loaded Pockets

That author is an idiot and he recently supported the cold blooded murderer Amanda Knox with an article as devoid of fact as the one linked in the OP.

The thing with the internet is by process of large numbers there will be people writing about stuff they have no understanding. Tbh this shouldnt shock you.

10. cockroach

cockroach Empty Pockets

Bear in mind, the Guardian is a left wing newspaper, published in a country where handguns are illegal.
    The tone of this article comes as no surprise to me.

11. Golden

Golden Loaded Pockets

While I'm generally not a big fan of open carry in this alarmist post 9/11 world (too wiki-wiki-wild-wild-west), I find it hilarious that the Brady Campaign for Increased Government Oppression actually started a web petition on their website lobby page to influence starbuckses policy.

12. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

Hooray for Starbucks.

13. grimm_kaosboy

grimm_kaosboy Empty Pockets

+1 on Starbucks getting a big two thumbs up. I will have to get my coffee there more often.

14. Krustofski

Krustofski Loaded Pockets

I'm neither a fan of Starbucks (I want COFFEE, not a decadent half-foam-half-suggar-with-two-drops-of-caffein hot beverage, you degenerate wimps) nor of open carry (there's probably the hoplophobic European speaking out of me, but brandish your man toys somewhere away from me, please). That being said...

What the hell are people up to? We are talking about the company's own premises, right? As far as I'm concerned, Starbuck could mandate their customers to wear pink tank tops and whistle The Lincolnshire Poacher upon entry. They wouldn't have a whole lot of sales volume if they did, but hey. Their store, their rules. If you don't like it, buy your coffee somewhere else.
    I get really hung up on how people get all self-righteous and want to dictate what others should do on their property. Grah.

15. WillCAD

WillCAD Loaded Pockets

Strangely, my biggest problem with the article is the misleading use of the word "brandish" in the photo caption:

More bangs per cup: Starbucks allows guns to be brandished in its US stores. Photograph: Stephen Chernin/Getty

According to Mirriam-Webster's Online Dictionary, brandish means:
    1 : to shake or wave (as a weapon) menacingly
    2 : to exhibit in an ostentatious or aggressive manner

Now, ostentatious is a manner of opinion; anti-gunners may believe that any open display of a firearm is an ostentation, and thus fits the dictionary definition of the word brandish. However, in common usage, the word brandish is almost universally accepted to have meaning #1 - to shake or wave menacingly. Because of this common usage, the caption of the photo misleads one to believe that Starbucks' customers are waving their guns around inside the store. I highly doubt that.

16. VashHash

VashHash Empty Pockets

Now i know where i can carry my gun and drink coffee without getting crazy looks. Ok i might get crazy looks but i won't get ejected from the store

17. buckshot

buckshot Loaded Pockets

I really like the tone of Starbucks in this story.

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2010/03/01/daily22.html

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence and Starbucks Corp. are squaring off over gun and concealed weapons laws.

The Washington, D.C. group has targeted the Seattle coffee giant (NASDAQ: SBUX), demanding that Starbucks outlaw the carrying of guns in its coffee shops. But Starbucks said it will comply with local laws and statutes.

“The political, policy and legal debates around these issues belong in the legislatures and courts, not in our stores,” Starbucks wrote in a statement released Wednesday.

Last month, Paul Helmke, president of the anti-gun group, wrote Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz, demanding that Starbucks reverse its current policy of allowing guns to be carried by its customers.

“Just as your stores may prohibit entry by people who are not wearing shoes, they may prohibit entry by people carrying guns,” Helmke wrote.

But Starbucks said it doesn’t want its employees to have to ask legal gun-carrying customers to leave its stores.

“Were we to adopt a policy different from local laws allowing open carry, we would be forced to require our partners to ask law abiding customers to leave our stores, putting our partners in an unfair and potentially unsafe position,” Starbucks said in its Wednesday statement.