1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Star wars type laser available?!

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by Rquagliata, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

2. crossroads

crossroads Empty Pockets

I've heard of this. Crazy how much technology improves. But yes, dangerous as hell, considering how it seems (not considering any relevant laws) anyone could buy one and immediately blind people on the streets. At the very least, I'm glad the site acknowledges this.

3. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Whoa! But you know, I'm actually glad that thing is illegal where I live.

4. artaxerxes

artaxerxes Loaded Pockets

The green lasers made by Dragon Lasers are almost just as dangerous (Viper series).However I would like one green laser with a smaller power.Nice toys for big boys.

5. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

6. Rquagliata

Nothing. I just think its interesting.

I'm sure buying this would land someone on an FBI watch list.

7. Stuey

Stuey Loaded Pockets

Great, just what the world needs, a potential skin-cancer-inducing laser that can be purchased by anyone.

8. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

I also think it very interesting ,) and yes, a very dangerous 'toy' indeed !

BE WELL .. GH

9. jeeves3443

jeeves3443 Loaded Pockets

It's not just cancer producing.
    This thing can and will burn flesh according to their site.

They'll be banned or over-priced as soon as someone blinds their friend and melts their own finger off.

As far as uses go...
    It'd be a powerful bug killer. The only problem is that bugs often fly ABOVE you. So trying to zero in a bug is also blasting the sky with thing... Can you imagine blinding a pilot or somehow bringing down a plane while trying to kill mosquitoes?

10. Rquagliata

Btw... I don't plan on getting one. :)

11. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Good call ,)

BE WELL .. GH

12. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

im actually shocked to see you people welcoming the fact that it is illegal in some places.....

yes it can be dangerous, yes it could be used to hurt someone........but you know what.....so can knives, handguns, and just about every thing else if used irresponsibly....so the fact that its "dangerous" hardly seems grounds to make it illegal

as for uses, high powered lasers are often used by star gazers and amateur astronomers to point out and locate star constellations.......and then theres the fact that theyre just down right cool.

13. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

Sure it's cool, no doubt about it, but the website shows it cradled on top of a projector .
    With that I am going to assume one of it's 'intended' uses would be as a presentation pointer ?
    Thats also cool, if your a half mile from the screen ,)
    With the exception of the Stargazer's application, I'd still say it's overkill .

I'll also add that guns and knives are used irresponsibly and this seems less dangerous to the average person therefore,
    it should be restricted in some cases .

OK I just read the info in the site and still think it's nuts ether way ,)

BE WELL .. GH

14. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

i can understand your concern....and its not all that unreasonable......BUT....

.....just remember, its a slippery slope.....

put restrictions on the laser....pretty soon theyll put restrictions on flash lights because they could cause eye damage( actually from what ive heard, there area few places that already do).....then theyll put restrictions on those "potentially harmful razor sharp" keys, stating that no one can carry more than 5 keys on a key ring at one time.....then carrying a pen or pencil will be outlawed because you can easily stab someone with it........and before you know it, it will be required that everyone wear 7 layers of bubble wrap and a helmet for protection and must wear clear clothing to show we arent carrying anything dangerous....

....ok, so maybe that last part is a bit of an exaggeration.......but you can see what im getting at.

15. GRIFFINHAWKS

GRIFFINHAWKS Banned

One word comes to mind, R _ _ _ _ _ _ ION . Fill in the blanks ..

BE WELL .. GH

16. jeeves3443

You're right Mcameron we're losing rights and liberties everyday, but those are stories for another place.

This isn't just a sharp knife, or a bright light. It can cause permanent blindness, even with indirect radiation. This is above and beyond reasonably dangerous and the only reason I mentioned it being banned/soon-to-be over-priced is because that's how these companies tend work/market. Meaning that If you want one of these 'weapons,' get it while you can.

The pictures of the projector are to let people know (for w/e reason) that the diodes come from a new(er) kind of projector system.

17. Valerian

Valerian Tea-powered admin

Since it was me who said it...

Yes, I know, everybody older than 3 knows knives and guns can be dangerous. However, we have lasers in CD and DVD-players, barcode readers and other mundange, safe, everyday items, so not nearly everybody realizes that lasers can also be dangerous. Like you said yourself "theyre just down right cool" and if the description claims it's powerful, then that just means it's even more cool, right? I can readily imagine people buying these and harming not only themselves, but their families and anybody unfortunate enough to be within line of sight when they turn that thing on.

Besides, you (probably) can't buy explosives or, say, plutonium either. Sometimes it's a good idea to restrict the availability of dangerous items. Yeah, sure, I'd love to play with nitroglyserin myself, but I'm still very, very glad that my neighbors can't.

18. Mcameron

Mcameron Loaded Pockets

youd be surprised, if im not mistaken, you can obtain Dynamite fairly easily in some states...

...and plutonium might be tough.....but would you settle for URANIUM :nana:
    http://unitednuclear.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_4

but in all seriousness, you do make some good points....and yes, there are some things that should be restricted...and yes, there are some people that shouldnt be allowed to own certain things...

but honestly, i have a hard time seeing someone who isnt a "laser enthusiast" spending $200+ on a laser just to donkey around with.

19. jeeves3443

Great, I clicked the link... Now i'm on some watch list or something. :bolt:

20. bhuber

bhuber Loaded Pockets

I have one of the Green Lasers that are a step up from the cheapie red ones you can get anywhere. I find it fun to play around with on a foggy night, and you can see the beam in a dark room, but other than that, there is not much use for it. It sits in a drawer at the moment.