1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Stainless Damascus Men's Ring

Discussion in 'Other Every Day Carry Items' started by jggonzalez, Mar 14, 2018.

1. jggonzalez

jggonzalez Loaded Pockets

Here is my latest project. My wife bought me a piece of stainless (440C and 302) spirograph damascus from Vegas Forge. I've used their stuff before and it is top notch with consistent patterns and no hidden weld issues. Here is a pic of the billet and a bluish-grey star sapphire I send with it:

[​IMG]JGG Spirograph Ring 1 by Joseph Gonzalez, on Flickr

I sent the billet and stone to Cass Stanford, a smith I met on Etsy. He was pretty excited since he had never made a ring before. He didn't have the equipment to do extended soaks at specified heats, but he did have an HT recipe he used when making carbon damascus knives that Vegas Forge confirmed would work fine for a ring. I really wanted it heat-treated and tempered for toughness and corrosion resistance.

Here are the first few pics that Cass sent back:

[​IMG]JGG Spirograph Ring 2 by Joseph Gonzalez, on Flickr

He said that this was the first pass and that he would round out the shank next. I told him I like my rings chunky and thick. We specified a 3mm minimum thickness on the shank, 14mm width on the face, and 8mm width on the back of the shank. When the ring was finished, his measurements were spot on.

Here are the final pics after it was refined further. This pic shows the rounded shank after it was blended into the rest of the design:

[​IMG]JGG Spirograph Ring 3 by Joseph Gonzalez, on Flickr

After a quick discussion, Cass and I both felt a minimal bevel with a tight radius would be best. He sent me these pics next. The first shows the bevel on the edge of the shank and the second shows the red-hot ring glowing as it cools after being tempered:

[​IMG]JGG Spirograph Ring 4 by Joseph Gonzalez, on Flickr

[​IMG]JGG Spirograph Ring 5 by Joseph Gonzalez, on Flickr

Cass seems to have a deft hand with damascus. I've worn the ring in the shower, washing hands, in the rain, etc. without any signs of rust. He got the heat-treat spot on.

Here are pics of the finished ring. I asked Cass to send it to me as-is so I could have fun with the etching and stone mounting:

[​IMG]JGG Spirograph Ring 8 by Joseph Gonzalez, on Flickr

[​IMG]JGG Spirograph Ring 7 by Joseph Gonzalez, on Flickr
    [​IMG]JGG Spirograph Ring 6 by Joseph Gonzalez, on Flickr

Last edited by jggonzalez, Mar 15, 2018
    #1 jggonzalez, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  2. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

Incredible ring...

3. Mumbojumboo
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

Mumbojumboo EDC Junkie!!!!!

4. Nick4305
    • In Omnia Paratus

Nick4305 EDC Junkie!!!!!

A masterpiece !

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

It is a very good looking ring. His work is obviously top drawer. For me though, without your description I would not have recognized this as damascus steel. Unlike along the flat of a knife blade, the damascus is just not that noticeable. Maybe its the particular damascus pattern on this one....

Wear it long and in good health!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. jggonzalez

jggonzalez Loaded Pockets

The pattern is subtle. It really depends on how the light hits it. A lot of people think it's silver and ask how I got the pattern so regular, then I explain how the steel was made. It's a shame, but you really don't see a lot of distinctive jewelry these days in the jewelry shops, especially the stuff for men. Once in a while I'll see something interesting, but it's usually the same old stuff over and over again.

Moshe ben David likes this.