1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Square foot gardening

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by amacman, Feb 18, 2013.

1. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

scríbhneoir Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I have been doing square foot gardening for a few years and canning some of my harvest. I have Mel's original book and finally bought the most recent edition last year. Too much mud on the plant pages in the old edition! I have in place 12 boxes, 4'X4's, made from cedar 4X6X1s lined with weed cloth and filled with dirt, compost, and coarse vermiculite. It's good to have chickens and an equine buddy. About four years ago, I ripped up the front yard and put 2X4 boxes out there. Right now, spinach, Swiss chard, two kinds of lettuce and beans are in and growing. I have one bed dedicated to flowers for the bees. Back yard has one bed dedicated to some herbs (soon to change as I want them closer to the back door) and one for asparagus. I am slow this year due to three weeks of training in the middle of the spring planting season, but it's all good. Catching up will take a little while. But we have a long growing season, and the spring has been extended.

Last edited by scríbhneoir, May 23, 2013
  2. Bigdaddyrooster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bigdaddyrooster Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info

3. deepsea

deepsea Loaded Pockets

I started out using wood clothes pins. Then my wife found these half sleeves online. They clip onto the pvc perfectly. We use plastic when it gets cold and shade cloth when it gets to hot. If I am in a hurry I just drape and toss some small logs or bricks on the covering on the ground for an anchor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gary Gross and SAKplumber like this.
  4. deepsea

deepsea Loaded Pockets

Strawberries!!!! Gonna have a bunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

How long was it from initial planting to 1st harvest for your asparagus? Did you get some within a year?

6. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

I planted 25 three-year old crowns, so the first year they were in the ground, I got a few skinny little things. I left them alone. The next year, lots more, only I kept eating them as I cut them so few made it to the kitchen. Bad gardener, bad. This year, I had lots, but I was out of town, so they grew into small trees. I will be spending some time with them this weekend cleaning up. As I understand it, they will be there for 20+ years if they are happy.

SAKplumber likes this.
  7. mwoj

mwoj Loaded Pockets

I too have a bunch of strawberries growing. They were from my great grandpa's house up in Mass. and they have spread like wildfire. I've also got some tomatoes and habaneros growing this year, I'm hoping to make some great chili.

deepsea likes this.
  8. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Since they're in a dedicated bed, have you looked into salting the soil?

9. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

I haven't. I use Neptune's Harvest fish emulsion for fertilizer and straw for mulch. I may try it in a section and see what happens. My grape arbor is down slope from the asparagus, and I'd hate to do any damage to those babies.

SAKplumber likes this.
  10. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

If run-off is an issue its probably not worth fooling with. Its just a neat trick for weed control in enclosed beds. The asparagus can do higher salinity levels than just about everything else, so pickling salt can be used for weed control.

11. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

It was snowing at my place this morning. Melting on contact but nonetheless it was snowing.

I hope to be planting my raised beds this weekend. Buying a wheel barrow tomorrow!

12. lildannigurl

lildannigurl Loaded Pockets

Well it's not much but took old pool spot and converted into lil herb garden. It's still brand new but going good so far. Gona take out that old deck and put in lil pick nick area

[​IMG]

ran23 and SAKplumber like this.
  13. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

I need these! Can you find a link for them, or their proper name? TIA!

14. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Way to use that old pool's footprint! Good thinking!

lildannigurl likes this.
  15. lildannigurl

Thanks, it was either that or let it grow up...I love gardens to much to let that happen lol

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Even if you didn't, you'd never be happy with that circle of weeds/misc. grasses. It always leaves a pock mark on the yard:rolleyes:

lildannigurl likes this.
  17. lildannigurl

Oh don't I know it lol I have almost 2 acres of well taken care of yard, no way I'm going to have a big ugly circle in the middle of it...looks like aliens landed lol

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

We planted some vegetable seeds in our raised beds yesterday. Onion sets, radishes, lettuce, pak choi, beets, carrots, and bush beans. More to add in the coming weeks.

What do you folks use for trellis material? I need a solution for my sweet pea's, pole beans and cucumbers.

SAKplumber and lildannigurl like this.
  19. deepsea

deepsea Loaded Pockets

PVC Snap Clamps. They are on Amazon but I would shop around for the best price. I would also check a few green house supply websites.

SAKplumber likes this.
  20. scríbhneoir
    • Administrator

Staff Member

I use Mel's idea. I create frames of metal conduit, 4x4x4, the corners being joints. Then you can either weave your own net (really easy) or buy trellis material that you can zip tie to your frame. Take 18" rebar and hammer it halfway in the ground where you want your two ends to be (at the end of one side, preferably the north side of your square foot bed), and then slip the conduit over the rebar. You can then take it down in winter for storage. Or not, as in my case...mine are sort of year round in the back 40.

lildannigurl likes this.