1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Square foot gardening

Discussion in 'The Breakroom' started by amacman, Feb 18, 2013.

1. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I am shopping around for some rough cut cedar or hemlock right now for the raised garden beds....and maybe a chicken coop. I have pinged two lumber yards through their kijiji ads but I have yet to get a response. Later this week I will give another local yard a call. I am thinking 2x6" or 4x6" lumber if the price is similar. Would 4x6" be overkill for raised beds? The beds will be 8x4x2' in size.

2. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I used 2" x 8" for 5 1/2' long narrow beds without a problem.

3. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

4x6 is overkill, but if you get it cheap enough, who cares. However, if the extra thickness comes off the inside dimensions, you are giving up some growing space.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

4. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Update:

Beans, summer squash, zucchini, leaf lettuce, bean, and carrots have all sprouted. No sign of the cucumbers, so I may have to try again there. Green leaf lettuce plants are fine, the red is on its last legs-go figure. Lost 2 out of the 4 tomato plants to the longs cold spell, so I'll be replanting a couple this week. Nothing seems to faze the spinach, its doing great and has even given a tiny harvest for a sandwich or two.

I'll be getting some hanging baskets, probably a mix of flower and herbs to go under those upper shelves.

[​IMG]

5. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

SAKplumber EDC Junkie!!!!!

Using those two shelves like that was a grand idea. I love how the end shelve's are attached by one side. Did you happen to attach the two together that you put between the wheeled shelves, under the box?

6. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

I usuaaly get my starter plants from the Farmer's Market, they are late to open this year. Still a few days of Frost coming my way, 33 this morning. Just a handful of Snow Peas in the beds right now.

7. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

We ordered some plants from Burpee. They send us an email telling us when they ship and they arrive at the peak planting time for our region:)

8. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Thanks, I also figured those shelves would be handy if I have to add some shade. The yard is full sun, so I'm thinking a little panel between the shelves may be needed.

Yes, there's actually 3 of the shelves spanning the center. One of the 3 is spanning the gap between the other 2. I loose another inch of depth in the middle, but that's lettuces and spinach there anyhow.
    Our real farmers market just got opened last weekend. Thats my fave place for herbs.

9. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

A buddy of mine is a web designer and he also happens to be big into urban home steading. I figured if you're on this thread, you might find something cool/useful on his site. http://steader.com/

10. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

2 hail storms today, filled one bed. still another day of possibilites. then plant!

11. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

$25.00 got me a good start today. Zucchini, Eggplant, tomatoes, about 10 starter plants in the beds today. Lettuce is coming up. Still a chance of frost, fingers crossed.

12. deepsea

deepsea Loaded Pockets

Sunday morning photo of the garden.

[​IMG]

13. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

Built my boxes last weekend. 4 boxes in total plus a compost box.
    2 boxes 8'x4'x11". 2 more 4'x4'x16 1/2". Compost is a two stall box 6'x3'x3'. I underestimated how long it was going to take me. Used over 500 screws too. Crazy.

This weekend is leveling them up and filling them up.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

e2dwml, lildannigurl and amacman like this.
  14. ran23
    • In Omnia Paratus

ran23 Loaded Pockets

Any speical soil mix, or your compost, peat moss and vermiculite? I'm in zone 7 here, Spinach was the first to harvest.

15. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

How do you keep the birdcloth or plastic(whichever you use)? Just drape it over and lay a 2x4 on it?

16. SAKplumber
    • In Omnia Paratus

Kinda hard to see the mixed lettuce behind the cigar but here is my container garden. One 4x4 square is just oregano, one has a few rosemary that will stay there, one has a fennel plant because my wife planted everything else on the deck.

[​IMG]

17. lildannigurl

lildannigurl Loaded Pockets

Awesome, I saw this on Cigar thread...almost commented, asking you to move the cigar lol :p ...mine are growing but there still lil :happy: nice lil garden you got there

SAKplumber likes this.
  18. JP

JP Loaded Pockets

I am using a soil, mushroom compost, peat moss blend from a garden center. I bought 3yards but it looks to be shy of what I need.

In the fall I will add my good compost to the mix and next year should be good growing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk

ran23 likes this.
  19. Bigdaddyrooster
    • In Omnia Paratus

Bigdaddyrooster Loaded Pockets

What is on the bottom to support the soil and how does it drain? I only ask because I want to build some benches with small herb garden behind it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

lildannigurl likes this.
  20. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

The gap is spanned with the same metal shelves turned length-wise. The box is lined with a sheet of plastic with a series of hole poked though for drainage.