1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Spyderwrench

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by JonSidneyB, Apr 3, 2006.

1. flashlight

flashlight Empty Pockets

Yes but there is no mention whether this will be a newly re-designed Spyderench or just the AUS-8 one. :yawn:

2. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

correct but i'm going out on a limb here assuming that the AUS-8 is already out so
    that leaves the possability that there could be a newly redesigned on on the way.
    just seems like thats not enough change for spyderco. seems more like someone just filling a demand quickly but
    it wouldn't be the first time i was wrong and I don't mind it.
    I'm holding off till i here from them.

3. flashlight

flashlight Empty Pockets

Either way, it'll be good to have them available again. :)

4. Bob Lindell

Bob Lindell Loaded Pockets

Does that say "Taiwan" under the Spyderco name on the blade...?

5. copykat

copykat Loaded Pockets

it appears so. Were the original one made in the US?
    i think i did hear the "new" ones were going to be produced over seas which may mean that this is a new one.
    doesn't jive with what the factory told me.
    maybe i will emai that pic to the factory to see waht they say about it.
    They may have let a few slip out before publicly announcing it.
    that could mean that the only difference on the new ones is the blade steel.

6. Bob Lindell

Bob Lindell Loaded Pockets

That't the problem with this :censored: forum... I've got an old SOG Power Plier, 1st generation I believe. I'd been thinking for a long time about a new something and then find this forum. A SpiritPlus with Ratchet is now on my belt daily. Then I find this thread. Yesterday: "Oh yeah, that's cool..." Today: "Hmmm... You know, I want that thing...."

Arrgh

7. WillAdams

WillAdams Loaded Pockets

I finally broke down and bought one off eBay (the version from Taiwan) --- some thoughts/observations:

- when split into two tools its: adjustable wrench and screwdriver/knife unit --- the plier functionality is lost since it's one half of the pliers which come off at the slip joint
    - the file/screwdriver changes from a flat head/Philips to a Philips / rounded point (awl? indentation tool?)
    - the magnet for the bits is installed externally from the side --- not sure why it wasn't slipped in from the end
    - the larger parts at least were cast, and that's not machined off --- I like investment cast tools and their texture, so a nice aspect for me. There are a few areas where material was relieved in the mold to lighten it, but the design is so mechanically involved that there aren't enough to make that a conscious aesthetic aspect
    - the lock for the blade is on the back and quite close to where one would put pressure when holding it
    - the bundled bits seem to rust easily (that's why mine was on sale, left in a Kayak over a summer) --- replaced them with some odd ones I needed, so no huhu
    - the plier design is odd, with one part being half the width of others
    - the adjustable wrench functionality is quite nice --- way better than the Gerber Myth archery tool it's replacing in my bag

If the removed part retained the pliers functionality and there was a wire stripper/cutter functionality it would be an _amazing_ tool and would probably displace my Rangerwood 55 from my pocket (if the knife lock were safer).

BigGreenTick likes this.
  8. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

Just FYI, I've had one for a decade or so and used it extensively and I've never had a problem with the lock. I agree the pliers are weird, but they are the way they are for a reason. Frankly I find the pliers next to useless, but the other features more than make up for that deficiency, at least for me.

WillAdams likes this.
  9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I’ve owned one for so long that I have forgotten about it. I don’t remember how I acquired it. I do remember that I found it to be at best a novelty device that is quite an exercise in engineering.

Yes, a lot of thought went into the design, and I discovered that I needed a lot of effort to use it. The last time that I used it, one of my underlings saw my frustration and simply handed me her Leatherman. At that moment, it became a paperweight!

It makes for a terrific conversation starter tho!☺️

Moshe ben David likes this.
  10. Yablanowitz

Yablanowitz Loaded Pockets

It is the only multi-tool I have that can handle a #3 Phillips screw without damaging either the tool or the screw. Sal told us it was designed by the same guy who designed the navigation system for the Mars Rover. That's a level of engineering you don't trip over every day.

Last edited by Yablanowitz, Feb 4, 2020
    #50 Yablanowitz, Feb 4, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
    WillAdams and ran23 like this.